When it comes to comfort food, few dishes can compare to a hearty bowl of beef stew.
But if you’ve been making the same recipe for years, it might be time to switch things up and add some delicious toppings to take your stew to the next level.
In this article, we’ll share 25 irresistible beef stew toppings that are sure to make your taste buds sing.
From classic herbs and spices to creamy dairy toppings and crunchy textures, we’ve got something for everyone.
So grab a spoon and get ready to elevate your beef stew game with these mouth-watering toppings.
The 25 Best Toppings For Beef Stews
Herbs and Spices
Adding herbs and spices to your beef stew is a great way to give it extra depth of flavor. Here are five herbs and spices to try:
- Rosemary: This woody herb is perfect for beef stews. Simply chop up a few sprigs of fresh rosemary and add them to your stew while it cooks. If you don’t have fresh rosemary, you can use dried rosemary instead. Just add a teaspoon or two to your stew.
- Thyme: Thyme has a slightly sweet and minty flavor that pairs well with beef. To use thyme in your beef stew, remove the leaves from a few sprigs of fresh thyme and add them to the pot. Alternatively, you can use dried thyme. Just add a teaspoon or two to your stew.
- Bay leaves: Bay leaves add a subtle, earthy flavor to beef stew. Simply add a few whole bay leaves to your pot while your stew is cooking. Be sure to remove them before serving.
- Smoked paprika: Smoked paprika adds a delicious smoky flavor to beef stew. Add a teaspoon or two of smoked paprika to your stew while it cooks. Be sure to use smoked paprika and not regular paprika, as the two have very different flavors.
- Cumin: Cumin has a warm, earthy flavor that works well with beef. To use cumin in your beef stew, add a teaspoon or two of ground cumin to the pot. Alternatively, you can toast cumin seeds in a dry pan for a few minutes until fragrant, then grind them up and add them to your stew.
Adding vegetables to your beef stew not only makes it more nutritious, but it also adds flavor and texture. Here are five vegetables to try:
- Carrots: Carrots are a classic addition to beef stew. Peel and chop a few carrots into bite-sized pieces and add them to your pot. Carrots are quite hard, so they will need to cook for at least an hour to become tender.
- Potatoes: Potatoes add a heartiness to beef stew and help to thicken the broth. Peel and chop a few potatoes into bite-sized pieces and add them to your pot. Yukon gold potatoes are a good choice for stews because they hold their shape well when cooked.
- Peas: Peas add a pop of color and sweetness to beef stew. Add a cup or two of frozen peas to your pot about 10 minutes before your stew is finished cooking.
- Celery: Celery adds a subtle flavor and a satisfying crunch to beef stew. Chop a few celery stalks into bite-sized pieces and add them to your pot.
- Onions: Onions add a sweet and savory flavor to beef stew. Chop a few onions into bite-sized pieces and add them to your pot. You can also sauté the onions in a little bit of butter or oil before adding them to the pot for extra flavor.
Dairy Toppings For Beef Stew
Adding dairy to your beef stew can help to balance out the flavors and add creaminess. Here are five dairy toppings to try:
- Sour cream: Adding a dollop of sour cream to your beef stew just before serving adds a tangy flavor and creamy texture.
- Parmesan cheese: Grated Parmesan cheese adds a nutty flavor and saltiness to beef stew. Sprinkle a handful of grated Parmesan over your stew just before serving.
- Cheddar cheese: Shredded cheddar cheese adds a sharp flavor and creaminess to beef stew. Sprinkle a handful of shredded cheddar over your stew just before serving.
- Cream cheese: Adding a few tablespoons of cream cheese to your beef stew will make it extra creamy and rich.
- Blue cheese: Crumbled blue cheese adds a tangy and bold flavor to beef stew. Sprinkle a handful of crumbled blue cheese over your stew just before serving.
Adding crunchy toppings to your beef stew can help to add texture and make it more satisfying to eat. Here are five crunchy toppings to try:
- Croutons: Adding homemade or store-bought croutons to your beef stew just before serving adds a satisfying crunch.
- French fried onions: Sprinkle a handful of French fried onions over your beef stew just before serving for a crispy and savory topping.
- Tortilla chips: Crushed tortilla chips add a salty and crunchy texture to beef stew. Sprinkle a handful of crushed tortilla chips over your stew just before serving.
- Bread crumbs: Mix together some bread crumbs with a little bit of melted butter and sprinkle over your beef stew for a crispy and buttery topping.
- Pita chips: Crushed pita chips add a Mediterranean-inspired crunch to beef stew. Sprinkle a handful of crushed pita chips over your stew just before serving.
There are plenty of other toppings that can add unique and interesting flavors to your beef stew. Here are five other toppings to try:
- Bacon bits: Adding crispy bacon bits to your beef stew just before serving adds a smoky and salty flavor.
- Chopped parsley: Sprinkling some fresh chopped parsley over your beef stew just before serving adds a bright and fresh flavor.
- Hot sauce: Adding a few drops of hot sauce to your beef stew can give it a spicy kick. Be sure to taste as you go to avoid making it too spicy.
- Worcestershire sauce: A few dashes of Worcestershire sauce adds a savory and slightly sweet flavor to beef stew.
- Pickles: Chopped pickles add a tangy and slightly sweet flavor to beef stew. Add a handful of chopped pickles to your stew just before serving.
With these 25 irresistible beef stew toppings, you can take your stew from simple to sensational. Whether you prefer classic herbs and spices, hearty vegetables, creamy dairy, crunchy textures, or unique flavors, there’s a topping on this list for everyone.
Don’t be afraid to experiment with different combinations and find your own favorite toppings. Beef stew is the perfect comfort food for a cozy night in, and with these toppings, it’s even better. So grab a bowl, add some toppings, and enjoy!
25 Best Beef Stew Toppings
- Cheddar cheese
- Tortilla chips
- Bread crumbs
- Bacon bits
- Worcestershire sauce
- Select your favorite toppings.
- Organize all the required ingredients.
- Prep a delicious beef stew in 30 minutes or less!