The best cheese for Chicken Parmesan is mozzarella. The creamy texture and mild flavor of mozzarella complements the savory flavors of the chicken, making it an essential part of this classic dish. Other cheeses such as provolone or parmesan can also be used to add a richer flavor.
Are you tired of using the same old cheese for your chicken parmesan?
Are you looking to add a new twist to this classic Italian dish?
Look no further, because we’ve got you covered.
In this article, we’ll explore the best cheese for chicken parmesan and provide you with 7 alternative options to try.
Choosing the right cheese is essential to achieving the perfect balance of flavor, texture, and meltiness.
So, whether you prefer a sharp, tangy cheese or a creamy, mild one, we’ve got something for everyone.
Read on to discover the perfect cheese for your chicken parmesan and take your dish to the next level.
How To Pick The Right Cheese for Chicken Parmesan
When it comes to chicken parmesan, the cheese you choose can make or break the dish. Here are some factors to consider when picking the right cheese for your chicken parmesan:
- Flavor: The cheese should complement the flavors of the chicken, tomato sauce, and herbs without overpowering them. A good cheese for chicken parmesan should have a savory, slightly salty flavor that enhances the other ingredients.
- Texture: The cheese should have a texture that melts well and creates a gooey layer over the chicken. It should be stringy and stretchy when melted to create that classic “cheese pull” effect.
- Melting properties: The cheese should melt easily and evenly without becoming too oily or greasy. It should also maintain its flavor and texture when melted.
When choosing a cheese for chicken parmesan, it’s important to keep in mind your personal preference as well. Some people prefer a sharp, tangy cheese like Parmigiano-Reggiano, while others prefer a milder, creamier cheese like mozzarella. It’s all about finding the cheese that best suits your taste buds.
Now that we know what to look for when picking the right cheese, let’s move on to the 10 best cheeses for chicken parmesan.
The 10 Best Cheeses for Chicken Parmesan
When it comes to the best cheese for chicken parmesan, these 10 options are tried and true:
- Mozzarella: This classic pizza cheese is a popular choice for chicken parmesan due to its mild, creamy flavor and excellent melting properties.
- Parmigiano-Reggiano: This hard, nutty cheese is a staple in Italian cooking and is often grated over pasta dishes. It adds a rich, savory flavor to chicken parmesan.
- Provolone: This cheese has a sharp, tangy flavor that pairs well with chicken and tomato sauce. It also melts well and creates a gooey layer over the chicken.
- Fontina: This semi-soft cheese has a buttery, nutty flavor and melts well. It’s a good option for those who prefer a milder cheese.
- Asiago: This cheese has a nutty, slightly sweet flavor that pairs well with chicken and tomato sauce. It’s also a good option for those who want a more pungent cheese flavor.
- Romano: This hard cheese has a sharp, tangy flavor that adds a kick to chicken parmesan. It’s often grated over pasta dishes and pairs well with tomato sauce.
- Gouda: This semi-hard cheese has a creamy, slightly sweet flavor and melts well. It’s a good option for those who want a milder cheese that still adds depth of flavor.
- Monterey Jack: This cheese has a mild, buttery flavor and melts well. It’s a good option for those who want a cheese that won’t overpower the other ingredients in the dish.
- Gruyere: This hard cheese has a nutty, slightly sweet flavor and melts well. It’s a good option for those who want a more complex cheese flavor.
- Cheddar: This cheese has a sharp, tangy flavor and melts well. It’s a good option for those who want a more pronounced cheese flavor in their chicken parmesan.
7 Alternative Cheeses for Chicken Parmesan
Looking to switch things up and try something new? These 7 alternative cheeses are great options for chicken parmesan:
- Burrata: This fresh Italian cheese has a creamy, buttery flavor and a soft, stringy texture that melts well. It adds a decadent touch to chicken parmesan.
- Ricotta: This soft, mild cheese is often used in lasagna and other Italian dishes. It can be mixed with other cheeses or used on its own to add a creamy, tangy flavor to chicken parmesan.
- Blue cheese: This strong, pungent cheese adds a bold flavor to chicken parmesan. It pairs well with tomato sauce and can be crumbled over the dish for a unique twist.
- Feta: This tangy, salty cheese is often used in Greek cuisine but can also work well in Italian dishes like chicken parmesan. It adds a briny, slightly tangy flavor to the dish.
- Smoked Gouda: This cheese has a slightly sweet, smoky flavor that adds depth to chicken parmesan. It melts well and creates a gooey layer over the chicken.
- Pecorino: This hard, salty cheese is often grated over pasta dishes and adds a sharp, tangy flavor to chicken parmesan. It pairs well with tomato sauce and adds a unique flavor to the dish.
- Taleggio: This semi-soft cheese has a fruity, tangy flavor and melts well. It’s a good option for those who want a cheese that’s a little different from the usual options.
5 Tips for Making Perfect Chicken Parmesan
Now that you’ve picked the perfect cheese for your chicken parmesan, here are some tips to ensure that the dish turns out perfectly:
- Pound the chicken thin: To ensure that the chicken cooks evenly and stays tender, pound it to an even thickness before breading and frying.
- Use fresh ingredients: Use fresh, high-quality ingredients for the tomato sauce, breading, and cheese. This will elevate the flavor of the dish and make it taste more authentic.
- Cook the chicken and cheese properly: Cook the chicken until it’s golden brown and cooked through, and add the cheese only during the last few minutes of baking to prevent it from becoming too greasy.
- Let it rest: Let the chicken parmesan rest for a few minutes before serving to allow the cheese to set and the flavors to meld together.
- Serve with the right accompaniments: Serve chicken parmesan with a side of pasta, garlic bread, or a fresh salad to complete the meal.
By following these tips, you’ll be able to make the perfect chicken parmesan every time. Now it’s time to get cooking!
Choosing the right cheese is key to making a delicious chicken parmesan, but it’s not the only factor to consider. By using fresh ingredients, cooking the chicken and cheese properly, and serving it with the right accompaniments, you can elevate this classic dish to a whole new level.
Whether you stick with the tried-and-true cheeses or try out some of the alternatives, there’s no wrong way to make chicken parmesan. So get creative, have fun, and enjoy your delicious creation!
The 10 Best Cheeses for Chicken Parmesan
- Monterey Jack
- Select your favorite cheese from this article.
- Organize all the required ingredients.
- Prep a delicious cheesy Chicken Parmesan in 30 minutes or less!