Risotto is a delicious Italian dish that is a favorite across the globe. The creamy texture with the blend of flavors makes it a perfect choice for any meal.
Traditionally, risotto is prepared with wine, but not everyone likes the taste or includes alcohol in their diet. But that doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy a delicious chicken risotto.
Here, we share with you an incredible chicken risotto without wine recipe. It’s still creamy, rich, and has all the right flavors to make a fantastic hearty meal.
This recipe includes fresh vegetables, succulent chicken, and a savory stock to deliver a comforting and filling dish to enjoy.
This dish is not only satisfyingly delicious, but also very versatile. It’s a crowd-pleaser, and you can make it for a hearty family dinner or delicious leftovers for lunch.
The best part about this recipe is it’s hassle-free and straightforward to make. The arborio rice absorbs all the flavors, creating a delightfully creamy texture.
You can replace wine with stock without compromising taste. So, without further ado, let’s get on with the recipe.
Chicken Risotto Without Wine
For this recipe, we have replaced wine with chicken stock. The stock adds a rich flavor, while the chicken and vegetables complete the dish with a healthy touch.
This chicken risotto without wine has all the elements of a classic risotto – the right consistency, creaminess, and the perfect balance of flavors. You won’t miss the wine at all.
If you have never tried risotto without wine before, this recipe is worth a shot. It’s simple, delicious, and can be a great addition to your regular dinner menu.
Also, read the notes section to get some ideas on how to make slight variations to enhance the taste if you want!
Give it a try and let us know what you think!
Here’s what you need to make this chicken risotto without wine:
- 1 onion, diced
- Garlic (2 cloves), crushed
- 250g chicken breast, chopped
- 225g arborio rice
- 100g peas
- 750ml stock made with 1 Knorr Zero Salt Chicken Stock Cube
- 1 tsp parsley, chopped
Follow these steps to make your chicken risotto:
- Prepare the stock. Dissolve 1 Knorr Zero Salt Chicken Stock Cube in 750ml boiling water. Keep the stock warm.
- Cook the chicken. Heat some oil in a pan and add the chicken. Cook until it’s brown. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Cook the onion and garlic. In the same pan, add the diced onion and crushed garlic. Cook until they turn soft.
- Add the rice and stock. Add the arborio rice to the pan and stir it a few times until it starts to become translucent.
- Start adding the stock. Gradually, start adding the chicken stock to the pan, one ladle at a time. Keep stirring until the stock is absorbed before adding the next ladle.
- Add the chicken and peas. After adding about half the stock, add the cooked chicken and peas to the pan. Continue to add stock and stirring until the rice is fully cooked.
- Garnish and Serve. Finally, add the chopped parsley for garnish and serve the risotto hot!
Note: For precise quantities and ingredients, see the recipe card below.
Tips for the Best Chicken Risotto
Here are a few tips and variations to get the best chicken risotto:
- Choosing the chicken. You can use boneless chicken thighs instead of chicken breast for a juicier and more flavorful result.
- Add other vegetables. Feel free to add other vegetables along with peas. Bell peppers, carrots, asparagus, or even mushrooms work great.
- Make it creamy. For a more creamy texture, you can stir in some grated parmesan cheese towards the end.
- Seasoning. Taste your risotto before serving and adjust the seasoning accordingly. You might need some salt and pepper, depending on your preference.
- Risotto consistency. If you like your risotto to be more runny, you can add a little extra stock.
These tips will help you customize the risotto according to your preference!
Chicken risotto is a complete meal on its own, but you can also serve it alongside a light salad or crusty bread.
For a complete Italian menu, you can start with a Caprese salad and a bowl of Minestrone soup. For dessert, a classic Tiramisu would be a perfect choice.
The creamy and rich risotto pairs well with fresh and light sides. It balances out the richness and provides a refreshing taste to your palate.
Risotto is best enjoyed fresh and hot. It doesn’t store well due to the rice becoming mushy and absorbing excess moisture.
However, if you have leftovers, you can keep them in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Make sure to cool the risotto completely before putting it in the fridge.
Note: It’s best to store without any garnishes. When reheating, you might need to add a splash of chicken stock to bring back the creamy consistency, as it tends to get thicker in the fridge.
Remember to reheat only the amount you need, instead of repeatedly heating and cooling the same batch.
It’s not advisable to freeze risotto as the creamy texture may not hold up well during the freezing and thawing process.
Chicken Risotto Without Wine
- 1 onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 250 grams chicken breast chopped
- 225 grams arborio rice
- 100 grams peas
- 1 Knorr Zero Salt Chicken Stock Cube
- 750 ml stock (made with 1 Knorr Zero Salt Chicken Stock Cube)
- 1 tsp parsley chopped
- Prepare the stock: Dissolve 1 Knorr Zero Salt Chicken Stock Cube in 750ml boiling water. Keep the stock warm.
- Cook the chicken: Heat some oil in a pan and add the chopped chicken. Cook until it's brown. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Cook the onion and garlic: In the same pan, add the diced onion and crushed garlic. Cook until they turn soft.
- Add the rice and stock: Add the arborio rice to the pan and stir it a few times until it starts to become translucent.
- Start adding the stock: Gradually, start adding the chicken stock to the pan, one ladle at a time. Keep stirring until the stock is absorbed before adding the next ladle.
- Add the chicken and peas: After adding about half the stock, add the cooked chicken and peas to the pan. Continue to add stock and stirring until the rice is fully cooked.
- Garnish and Serve: Finally, add the chopped parsley for garnish and serve the risotto hot!