If you’re craving finger-licking chicken wings but want to skip the soy sauce, this Honey Garlic Chicken Wings recipe is perfect for you.
These wings are juicy, crispy, and coated with a delicious sweet and savory honey garlic glaze. Perfect for an appetizer or a main dish, these wings are bursting with flavor!
Along with being delicious, this recipe is quite simple to make. The chicken wings are seasoned with a classic salt and pepper mixture before being baked to golden perfection. Then, they are coated with a sticky honey garlic sauce that is packed with aromatic garlic, a hint of molasses, and sweet honey.
You will love the combination of flavors in this dish. The extra sweetness from the honey paired with the rich savory taste of garlic makes this dish irresistible!
This is what you’ll need for the chicken wings:
- Chicken Wings: 2 pounds of chicken wings (rinsed and patted dry).
- Salt and Pepper: For the classic seasoning.
- Green Onions: These are optional, but they add a nice fresh flavor to the dish.
For the honey garlic sauce, you will need:
- Water: To dilute the sauce to your desired consistency.
- Molasses: It adds depth and richness to the sauce.
- Honey: For the perfect balance between sweetness and savory flavors.
- Garlic: For the star of the show: the garlic flavor.
- Onion Powder: To enhance the savory taste of the sauce.
- Brown Sugar: For a little extra sweetness.
- Salt and Pepper: To taste.
That’s it! You can easily find all these ingredients at your local grocery store.
How to Make Honey Garlic Chicken Wings Without Soy Sauce
Here’s how to make these delicious wings:
- Prep the chicken wings. Rinse the wings and pat them dry with paper towels. Then, season them with salt and pepper.
- Bake. Transfer the wings to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake in a preheated oven until golden and crispy.
- Prepare the sauce. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine all the sauce ingredients and bring it to a simmer over medium-low heat. Cook until the sauce thickens slightly.
- Coat the wings with the sauce. Once the wings are baked, transfer them to a large bowl and pour over the honey garlic sauce. Toss the wings until they are evenly coated with the sauce.
- Garnish and serve. Finally, if desired, garnish the wings with chopped green onions and serve immediately.
Note: For the complete list of ingredients and specific measurements, see the recipe card below.
Tips for The Best Wings
Here are a few tips to make sure your chicken wings turn out amazing:
- Pat the wings dry: Make sure to thoroughly dry the wings with paper towels before baking. This will help them to become crispy in the oven.
- Line your baking sheet: Another way to ensure crispy wings is by using parchment paper on your baking sheet. It prevents the wings from sticking and helps with browning.
- Adjust the sauce consistency: The sauce will thicken slightly as it cools, so keep that in mind when making it. If you like a really thick sauce, cook it a little longer. If you prefer your sauce thinner, add a touch more water.
- Coat the wings evenly: To ensure every bite is packed with flavor, toss the wings in a large bowl with the sauce. This will give you a more even coating compared to brushing the sauce on.
Want to switch things up? Here are some variations to consider:
- Make it spicy: Add some heat by including red pepper flakes or a dash of cayenne pepper to the sauce.
- Use another meat: This sauce would work well with other meats too. Try it with chicken tenders, drumsticks, or even shrimp.
- Replace the onions: If you’re not a fan of green onions, you can omit them or replace them with chopped cilantro for a fresh twist.
What to Serve with Honey Garlic Chicken Wings
These wings are quite versatile and can be enjoyed in different ways. Here are a few serving suggestions:
- As an appetizer: Serve the wings with a side of ranch or blue cheese dressing and some fresh celery sticks for a classic appetizer.
- As a main dish: Make it a complete meal by serving the wings over a bed of steamed rice with a side of roasted veggies.
- For a party: These wings are a hit at parties. Serve them alongside other appetizers like meatballs, sliders, and a variety of dips for dipping!
Got leftovers? Here’s how to store them:
- Refrigerator: Store any leftover wings in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Freezer: You can freeze the wings, though note that the texture may not be as crispy once thawed. Allow them to cool completely, then transfer them to a freezer-safe container or bag. They will keep well in the freezer for up to 2 months. Remember to label your container with the date.
- Reheating: To reheat the wings, you can use a microwave or oven. For the microwave, place them on a microwave-safe plate, cover with a damp paper towel, and heat in 30-second intervals until heated through. For the oven, preheat it to 350°F, place the wings on a baking sheet, and heat for about 15-20 minutes. Ensure they are heated through before serving. Remember to adjust the reheating time according to the quantity of wings.
Honey Garlic Chicken Wings without Soy Sauce
- 2 pounds chicken wings rinsed and patted dry
- 1 tsp salt to taste
- 1 tsp pepper to taste
- 3 green onions, chopped (optional)
Honey Garlic Sauce
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tbsp molasses
- 3 tbsp honey
- 6 cloves garlic finely minced
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp brown sugar packed
- ½ tsp salt to taste
- 1 tsp pepper to taste
Prep the chicken wings
- Rinse the chicken wings under cold water and pat them dry with paper towels.
- Season the wings with salt and pepper to taste.
Bake the chicken wings
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the seasoned chicken wings on the prepared baking sheet, ensuring they are evenly spaced.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40-45 minutes or until the wings are golden and crispy.
Prepare the honey garlic sauce
- In a small saucepan, combine the water, molasses, honey, minced garlic, onion powder, brown sugar, salt, and pepper.
- Stir the mixture until well combined.
- Place the saucepan over medium-low heat and bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Cook the sauce for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it thickens slightly.
Coat the wings with the honey garlic sauce
- Once the chicken wings are baked, transfer them to a large bowl.
- Pour the honey garlic sauce over the wings.
- Toss the wings gently in the sauce until they are evenly coated.
Garnish and serve
- If desired, garnish the wings with chopped green onions.
- Serve the honey garlic chicken wings immediately as an appetizer or main dish.