The delicious slow cooker chicken chasseur without wine is a hearty and comforting dish made from seasoned chicken, vegetables, and a rich tomato-based sauce.
This version omits the wine traditionally used in the recipe, while still retaining the rich and robust flavors that make chicken chasseur so popular.
This recipe is perfect for those who prefer a non-alcoholic version or simply don’t have wine on hand.
The slow cooker ensures that the chicken is tender, succulent, and full of flavor, while allowing you the convenience of leaving it to cook slowly without constant attention.
Serve this delightful dish with your choice of accompaniments—mash, jackets, pasta or roast potatoes—and garnish with a generous handful of fresh parsley for a delectable, comforting meal that the whole family will love.
Slow Cooker Chicken Chasseur without Wine
The slow cooker is a fantastic tool for creating hearty, flavorsome meals with minimal effort.
Chicken chasseur is a classic French dish made with chicken, mushrooms, tomatoes, and white wine.
This non-alcoholic version retains the bold flavors of the traditional recipe.
Chicken thighs are used for this recipe as their rich, dark meat maintains its succulence during the slow cooking process.
The chicken is cooked alongside a delicious combination of chopped tomatoes, chestnuts mushrooms, shallots, and aromatic herbs to create a satisfying meal that’s perfect for autumn or winter nights.
The best part is, you can simply set it and forget it while the slow cooker does the work.
Here’s what you need for this recipe:
- Olive oil. Use a high-quality extra-virgin olive oil to sauté the chicken and vegetables.
- Chicken thighs. They’re packed with flavor and stay juicy even with the extended cooking time.
- Shallots or onions. Shallots add a lovely sweetness, but onions work well too.
- Garlic cloves. They add a delicious, pungent flavor to the chasseur.
- Baby chestnut mushrooms. Slice them in half so every bite is packed with mushroom goodness.
- Tomato purée. It provides depth and richness to the sauce.
- Chopped tomatoes. They form the base of the chasseur sauce.
- Thyme sprigs and bay leaf. For aromatic, earthy flavors.
- Hot chicken stock. It’s essential for creating a luscious sauce.
- Parsley. Use it to garnish for a fresh touch.
If desired, you can serve the chasseur with mash, jackets, pasta, or roast potatoes.
How to Make Slow Cooker Chicken Chasseur without Wine
Here’s how to prepare this dish:
- Sauté the chicken. Heat the oil in a pan then add the chicken thighs. Sauté until golden brown on each side, then transfer to the slow cooker.
- Add the vegetables, herbs, and sauce. In the same pan, sauté the shallots or onions, garlic, and mushrooms. After a few minutes, add the tomato purée, chopped tomatoes, thyme, bay leaf, and chicken stock. Bring to a simmer, then transfer everything to the slow cooker.
- Slow cook until chicken is tender. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Serve and enjoy! Once cooked, carefully remove the chicken from the slow cooker and serve with the sauce, along with your choice of accompaniments. Don’t forget to garnish with parsley.
For the complete list of ingredients and directions, see the recipe card below.
Tips for the Best Chasseur
For the perfect slow cooker chicken chasseur, keep these tips in mind:
- Brown the chicken and sauté the vegetables. This builds deeper flavors in the dish.
- Use fresh thyme and bay leaf. They add a distinctive, herby taste to the chasseur.
- Cut the mushrooms in half. This will ensure every bite has a good amount of mushroom.
- Ensure the dish has enough liquid. If necessary, add a little more chicken stock during cooking to prevent the chasseur from drying out.
- Don’t forget to season. Taste the dish before serving and add salt and pepper if needed.
- Garnish generously. The fresh parsley not only looks pretty, but it also adds a fresh, herby flavor.
Here are a few ways to customize this recipe:
- Use different chicken cuts. If you prefer white meat, you can use chicken breasts instead of thighs.
- Add other vegetables. You can include other vegetables like carrots or bell peppers for added color and texture.
- Make it creamier. If you want a creamier sauce, stir in some double cream towards the end of cooking time.
- Make it spicier. Add a teaspoon of paprika or a sprinkle of chili flakes to give the dish a kick.
- Make it vegetarian. Skip the chicken and use vegetable broth instead of chicken stock. You can also add chickpeas or extra mushrooms for protein.
Slow Cooker Chicken Chasseur Without Wine
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 chicken thighs (skin-on and bone-in)
- 2 shallots or 1 onion (finely chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 200 grams baby chestnut mushrooms (halved)
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 200 grams chopped tomatoes
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- 400 ml hot chicken stock
- Small handful of parsley (finely chopped, to serve)
- Mash, jackets, pasta, or roast potatoes (to serve, optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Sauté the chicken thighs in the hot oil until golden brown on each side. Transfer the chicken to a slow cooker.
- In the same pan, add the shallots or onions and crushed garlic. Sauté for a few minutes until softened.
- Add the halved chestnut mushrooms to the pan and cook for another few minutes until they start to brown.
- Stir in the tomato purée, chopped tomatoes, thyme sprigs, bay leaf, and hot chicken stock. Bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Transfer the sauce and vegetables to the slow cooker with the chicken thighs.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or until the chicken is tender and cooked through.
- Carefully remove the chicken from the slow cooker and transfer to a serving dish.
- Spoon the sauce and vegetables over the chicken.
- Serve the slow cooker chicken chasseur with your choice of accompaniments such as mashed potatoes, jacket potatoes, pasta, or roast potatoes.
- Garnish with a generous handful of finely chopped parsley before serving.