If you love delightful wings, then you must try these soy garlic chicken wings without honey. They’re incredibly flavorful, juicy, and utterly delicious.
This fantastic recipe brings together the perfect combination of sweet and salty with a garlicky kick. Plus, they are perfectly crispy on the outside, while staying juicy on the inside.
Whether you’re prepping for game night, a party, or a family dinner, these chicken wings will be an instant hit.
For those avoiding honey, you’ll be pleased to know that this recipe doesn’t use honey at all.
It’s a simple yet tasty dish that will have everyone coming back for more!
Soy Garlic Chicken Wings without Honey
With a handful of pantry staples, you can whip up these tasty wings!
The wings are marinated in a rich soy sauce mixture with minced garlic, creating an irresistible flavor. Then, they’re baked to perfection, achieving that perfect combination of tenderness and crispiness.
For extra pizazz, garnish with sesame seeds and fresh, finely sliced green onions.
These baked soy garlic chicken wings are a delectable treat, and you won’t be able to resist them!
Here’s what you need:
- Chicken Wings – 1 kg/2 lbs should be enough.
- Soy Sauce – Gives the wings that unmistakable umami flavor.
- Brown Sugar – To balance out the saltiness and bring a subtle sweetness.
- Garlic – Adds a delicious garlicky aroma and flavor.
- Oil – Any type of cooking oil will do – canola, sunflower, or olive oil.
- Sesame Seeds – They lend a wonderful nutty taste and add a dash of elegance.
- Green Onions – For a fresh, oniony taste and a pop of color.
How to Make Soy Garlic Chicken Wings without Honey
These wings are simple and straightforward to make:
- Marinate the wings. Mix the soy sauce, brown sugar, minced garlic, and oil together in a large bowl. Add the chicken wings and toss them until evenly coated. Let them marinate for at least 1 hour.
- Bake the wings. Preheat your oven, arrange the wings on a lined baking tray and bake them for around 45-50 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
- Garnish and serve. If desired, sprinkle the baked wings with sesame seeds and finely sliced green onions. Serve and enjoy!
For the complete list of ingredients and specific amounts, see the recipe card below.
Tips for the Best Wings
For the most flavorful chicken wings, here are a few tips:
- Marinate longer. If time permits, let the wings marinate for at least 2 hours or even overnight. This allows the flavors to penetrate the meat better, resulting in a more delectable chicken wing.
- Flip the wings. Halfway through baking, flip the wings to ensure even browning and a uniform crispiness.
- Adjust baking time if needed. Every oven is different, so keep an eye on the wings after the 40-minute mark. If they look golden brown and crispy, they are ready.
- Double the sauce. For an extra saucy finish, double the sauce recipe. Reserve a portion to brush on the wings after baking.
Here are a few ways to customize your wings:
- Add heat. If you like spicy wings, add some chili flakes or a dash of cayenne pepper to the marinade.
- Make it sweeter. Increase the amount of brown sugar if you prefer a sweeter flavor profile.
- Swap the sauce. Switch out the soy sauce for teriyaki sauce for a different taste.
- Make it gluten-free. Use a gluten-free soy sauce if you have dietary restrictions.
- Make it a meal. Serve the wings over a bed of sticky rice or with a side of Asian slaw.
Soy Garlic Chicken Wings Without Honey
- 2 lbs chicken wings
- 5 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp oil (canola, sunflower, olive oil)
- Sesame seeds
- Green onions finely sliced
- In a large bowl, combine the soy sauce, brown sugar, minced garlic, and oil. Stir until well combined.
- Add the chicken wings to the marinade, toss them until evenly coated. Cover the bowl and let the wings marinate for at least 1 hour (or longer if time permits) to allow the flavors to develop.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C). Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Arrange the marinated chicken wings on the prepared baking tray in a single layer.
- Bake the chicken wings for 45-50 minutes, or until they are golden brown and crispy, flipping them halfway through baking for even browning.
- Once baked, remove the wings from the oven and let them cool slightly.
- If desired, sprinkle the wings with sesame seeds and green onions for garnish.
- Serve the soy garlic chicken wings as a delicious appetizer or alongside your favorite sides.