If you’re a fan of Mexican cuisine, you know that cheese is an essential ingredient in many of its dishes.
And when it comes to steak tacos, the right cheese can make all the difference in the world.
In fact, the best cheese for steak tacos can take an already delicious dish to a whole new level.
But with so many different types of cheese out there, it can be hard to know which one to choose.
In this article, we’ll help you navigate the world of cheese and provide you with information on the best cheese options for steak tacos, as well as 10 alternative options for those who want to switch things up.
Whether you’re a cheese connoisseur or simply looking to add some extra flavor to your tacos, you won’t want to miss this!
Traditional Cheese Options for Steak Tacos
When it comes to traditional cheese options for steak tacos, there are a few options that tend to be the most popular. Here are some of the most common options you’ll find:
- Queso Fresco – Queso fresco is a soft, crumbly cheese that is made from cow’s milk. It has a mild, slightly tangy flavor and a creamy texture that makes it perfect for topping steak tacos. Queso fresco is typically sprinkled over the top of tacos, but it can also be used in fillings or mixed into the steak itself.
- Cotija – Cotija is a hard, crumbly cheese that is made from cow’s milk. It has a salty flavor and a dry, crumbly texture that makes it ideal for grating over steak tacos. Cotija is often used in place of parmesan cheese and can be found in both fresh and aged varieties.
- Monterey Jack – Monterey Jack is a semi-soft, mild cheese that is made from cow’s milk. It has a smooth, creamy texture and a slightly nutty flavor that pairs well with steak. Monterey Jack can be melted over the top of steak tacos, or used in fillings for an extra cheesy flavor.
No matter which cheese you choose, traditional cheese options for steak tacos are a great way to add flavor and texture to your tacos. Experiment with different combinations to find your perfect match!
The Best Cheese for Steak Tacos
The best cheese for steak tacos is Oaxaca cheese. This semi-soft Mexican string cheese melts easily and has a mild, slightly tangy flavor that pairs perfectly with the beef. It has a smooth texture and is also great to use in quesadillas or enchiladas.
While the traditional cheese options for steak tacos are great, there is one cheese that stands out above the rest: Oaxaca cheese. Here’s why:
- Flavor – Oaxaca cheese has a buttery, slightly salty flavor that pairs perfectly with steak. It has a rich, creamy texture that adds a luxurious feel to your tacos.
- Texture – Oaxaca cheese has a unique texture that sets it apart from other cheeses. It is stringy and stretchy, similar to mozzarella cheese. When melted, it creates a gooey, delicious layer over your steak.
- Versatility – Oaxaca cheese is a versatile cheese that can be used in a variety of ways. It can be shredded and sprinkled over the top of your tacos, melted over your steak, or used as a filling for a cheesy, gooey bite.
Alternative Cheese Options for Steak Tacos
While Oaxaca cheese may be the best option, it’s always good to have some alternative options on hand.
Here are 10 alternative cheese options for steak tacos:
- Chihuahua cheese – a semi-soft cheese with a mild flavor that melts well
- Panela cheese – a soft, crumbly cheese with a slightly sweet flavor
- Asadero cheese – a soft, buttery cheese with a mild flavor that melts well
- Manchego cheese – a firm cheese with a nutty, earthy flavor
- Blue cheese – a bold, tangy cheese that adds a unique flavor to steak tacos
- Feta cheese – a crumbly cheese with a salty, tangy flavor
- Gouda cheese – a semi-hard cheese with a nutty, sweet flavor that melts well
- Pepper Jack cheese – a semi-soft cheese with a spicy kick that pairs well with steak
- Brie cheese – a soft, creamy cheese with a mild, buttery flavor
- Provolone cheese – a firm cheese with a mild, slightly tangy flavor that melts well
These alternative cheese options for steak tacos provide a variety of flavors and textures to choose from. Try one or mix and match for a unique twist on traditional steak tacos!
Tips for Using Cheese in Steak Tacos
No matter which cheese you choose for your steak tacos, there are a few tips to keep in mind to ensure the best flavor and texture:
- Use high-quality cheese – high-quality cheese will provide the best flavor and texture for your steak tacos. Look for cheese that is fresh and made with high-quality milk.
- Shred or crumble the cheese – shredding or crumbling the cheese will ensure that it melts evenly over your steak tacos.
- Don’t overdo it – while cheese can add a lot of flavor to your steak tacos, it’s important not to overdo it. Too much cheese can overpower the other flavors in your taco.
Experiment with different cheese combinations – don’t be afraid to mix and match different cheese options to find your perfect flavor combination.
Where to Find the Best Cheese for Steak Tacos
When it comes to finding the right cheese for your steak tacos, it’s important to know where to look. Here are a few options:
- Local cheese shops – local cheese shops often have a wide variety of cheeses to choose from, including specialty Mexican cheeses like Oaxaca cheese.
- Farmers markets – farmers markets are a great place to find fresh, locally-made cheeses.
- Grocery stores – most grocery stores carry a selection of Mexican cheeses like queso fresco and cotija cheese. Look for these options in the cheese section or in the international foods section.
- Online retailers – if you’re having trouble finding a specific type of cheese, consider shopping online. Many online retailers offer a wide variety of Mexican cheeses that can be delivered straight to your door.
Cheese is an essential ingredient in steak tacos, and the right cheese can take your tacos to the next level.
Whether you prefer traditional options like queso fresco and cotija cheese, or are looking to try something new like Oaxaca cheese or one of the alternative cheese options, there is a cheese out there that will satisfy your taste buds.
Remember to use high-quality cheese, shred or crumble it for even melting, and experiment with different cheese combinations to find your perfect flavor profile. And don’t forget to check out local cheese shops, farmers markets, grocery stores, and online retailers for the best cheese options.
By following these tips and trying out different cheese options, you’ll be able to create the perfect steak tacos that are sure to impress your friends and family.
The Best Cheese for Steak Tacos (+10 Alternatives)
- Oaxaca cheese
- Queso Fresco
- Monterey Jack
- Chihuahua cheese
- Panela cheese
- Asadero cheese
- Blue cheese
- Select your favorite cheese from this article.
- Organize all the required ingredients.
- Prep a delicious steak taco in 30 minutes or less!