Pasta dishes are always a crowd-pleaser, and this chicken and mushroom pasta without cream is no exception.
It’s a lighter and healthier alternative to traditional creamy pasta dishes, without sacrificing any flavor.
Chicken and mushrooms are a classic combination that compliments each other perfectly.
The earthy flavors of the mushrooms pair beautifully with the tender, juicy chicken.
And the best part is, this recipe doesn’t rely on heavy cream for that creamy texture.
Using ingredients like chicken broth and a touch of flour, this recipe creates a delicious sauce that coats the pasta beautifully.
It’s a simple, yet satisfying dish that is perfect for any day of the week.
Chicken and Mushroom Pasta without Cream
When you’re in the mood for a comforting and flavorful pasta dish, look no further than this chicken and mushroom pasta recipe. It’s a winning combination that is sure to impress.
Not only is this dish incredibly tasty, but it’s also easy to make. With just a few simple steps, you’ll have a delicious meal on the table in no time.
You can easily customize this recipe to suit your taste preferences. If you like it spicy, add a pinch of red pepper flakes. If you prefer different types of mushrooms, go ahead and experiment. The possibilities are endless!
Here’s what you’ll need for this chicken and mushroom pasta without cream:
- Olive oil. A little bit of oil is all you need to sauté the chicken and mushrooms to perfection.
- Chicken breasts. Boneless and skinless chicken breasts work best for this recipe.
- Mushrooms. Cremini or button mushrooms are great options, but feel free to use your favorite variety.
- Garlic. The addition of garlic adds a subtle, yet delicious flavor to the dish.
- Chicken broth. Instead of heavy cream, chicken broth helps create a flavorful sauce for the pasta.
- Flour. A small amount of flour is used to thicken the sauce.
- Pasta. Choose your favorite type of pasta, such as penne or fettuccine.
- Parmesan cheese. Freshly grated Parmesan cheese adds a savory and nutty flavor to the dish.
- Fresh parsley. Garnish the pasta with some fresh parsley for an added pop of color and freshness.
How to Make Chicken and Mushroom Pasta without Cream
Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to make this delicious pasta dish:
- Cook the pasta. Boil a pot of salted water and cook the pasta according to the package instructions until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- Sauté the chicken. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken breasts and cook until golden brown on both sides, about 5-7 minutes per side. Remove the chicken from the skillet and set aside.
- Sauté the mushrooms and garlic. In the same skillet, add the mushrooms and garlic. Cook until the mushrooms are tender and golden brown, stirring occasionally.
- Make the sauce. Sprinkle flour over the mushrooms and garlic. Stir well to coat everything evenly. Slowly pour in the chicken broth, stirring constantly to avoid lumps. Cook until the sauce has thickened, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the chicken and pasta. Slice the cooked chicken into strips and add it back to the skillet. Add the cooked pasta and toss everything together until well coated with the sauce.
- Serve and enjoy! Transfer the chicken and mushroom pasta to serving plates or bowls. Garnish with freshly grated Parmesan cheese and chopped parsley. Serve hot and enjoy!
For the complete list of ingredients and directions, see the recipe card below.
Tips for the Best Chicken and Mushroom Pasta
To make this dish even more delicious, here are a few tips to keep in mind:
- Season the chicken: Before cooking the chicken, season it with salt and pepper to enhance its flavor. This simple step adds a tasty dimension to the dish.
- Sauté the mushrooms properly: When sautéing the mushrooms, make sure not to overcrowd the pan. This allows them to brown and develop a rich, savory flavor. If the pan is too crowded, the mushrooms may become watery and fail to achieve that desired golden color.
- Use freshly grated Parmesan cheese: For the best flavor, always use freshly grated Parmesan cheese instead of pre-packaged shredded cheese. The fresh cheese has a more intense and authentic flavor that enhances the overall taste of the pasta.
- Adjust the consistency of the sauce: If you prefer a thicker sauce, you can add a bit more flour to the recipe. On the other hand, if you like a lighter sauce, reduce the amount of flour. Customize the sauce consistency to your liking.
- Add some herbs: If you enjoy herbaceous flavors, consider adding some fresh herbs like thyme or rosemary to the dish. Sprinkle them on top when serving for an extra burst of freshness.
This recipe can be easily customized to suit your preferences. Here are a few variations to try:
- Vegetarian option: Skip the chicken and replace it with extra mushrooms or add some roasted vegetables like zucchini or bell peppers. This creates a satisfying vegetarian version of the dish.
- Protein swap: If you’re not a fan of chicken, substitute it with shrimp or sliced cooked sausage for a different flavor profile.
- Creamy option: If you prefer a creamier dish without heavy cream, you can substitute chicken broth with unsweetened almond milk or coconut milk. This adds a creamy texture while keeping the dish dairy-free.
- Spicy twist: For a kick of heat, add some red pepper flakes or diced jalapenos to the dish while sautéing the mushrooms. Adjust the amount according to your spice tolerance.
What to Serve With Chicken and Mushroom Pasta
This pasta dish is delicious on its own, but if you want to enhance the meal, consider serving it with:
- Garlic bread: A side of warm, crusty garlic bread is the perfect accompaniment to this dish. The bread can be used to soak up any remaining sauce on the plate.
- Green salad: Serve a refreshing green salad with a light vinaigrette to balance out the richness of the pasta. The crispness of the salad provides a nice contrast to the savory flavors.
- Roasted vegetables: Pair the pasta with a side of roasted vegetables, such as broccoli, asparagus, or Brussels sprouts. The roasted veggies add extra depth and flavor to the meal.
- Caesar salad: A classic Caesar salad with fresh romaine lettuce, Parmesan cheese, and homemade dressing is another fantastic option. The tangy dressing pairs well with the creamy pasta.
If you have leftovers or want to make this ahead of time, follow these storage tips:
- Refrigeration: Allow the pasta to cool completely, then transfer it to an airtight container. Store it in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. Reheat individual portions in the microwave or in a skillet with a splash of chicken broth to prevent drying out.
- Freezing: To freeze the pasta, let it cool down completely and then store it in a freezer-safe container or zip-top bag. Ensure there is minimal air inside the container before sealing. It can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Thawing and reheating: To thaw the frozen pasta, transfer it to the refrigerator overnight. Reheat it in a skillet with a bit of chicken broth or olive oil over medium heat until heated through.
Note: The texture of the pasta may change slightly after freezing, but the flavors will still be delicious.
With these storage tips, you can enjoy this cream-free chicken and mushroom pasta whenever you’re in the mood for a delightful and wholesome meal.
Chicken and Mushroom Pasta without Cream
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 chicken breasts boneless, skinless
- 8 ounces mushrooms sliced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 8 ounces pasta (penne, fettuccine, or your choice)
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- fresh parsley chopped (for garnish)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the pasta: Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the pasta according to the package instructions until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- Sauté the chicken: Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper, then add them to the skillet. Cook for 5-7 minutes per side, or until golden brown and cooked through. Remove the chicken from the skillet and set aside to rest.
- Sauté the mushrooms and garlic: In the same skillet, add another tablespoon of olive oil. Add the sliced mushrooms and minced garlic. Sauté for about 5 minutes, or until the mushrooms are tender and golden brown.
- Make the sauce: Sprinkle the flour over the mushrooms and garlic. Stir well to coat everything evenly. Slowly pour in the chicken broth, stirring constantly to avoid lumps. Simmer for 2-3 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened.
- Slice the chicken and add it to the skillet: Slice the cooked chicken breasts into strips. Add the chicken strips and the cooked pasta to the skillet with the mushroom sauce. Toss everything together until well coated with the sauce.
- Serve and garnish: Transfer the chicken and mushroom pasta to serving plates or bowls. Sprinkle freshly grated Parmesan cheese over the top. Garnish with chopped fresh parsley for an extra pop of color and freshness.
– Customize the thickness of the sauce by adjusting the amount of flour used.
– Feel free to add red pepper flakes or diced jalapenos for some heat if desired.