This Chicken Piccata without Flour recipe will blow your mind.
Chicken Piccata is a delectable Italian dish featuring succulent chicken cutlets that are smothered in a tangy, savory lemon caper sauce.
While the traditional recipe typically uses a flour coating for the chicken, that’s not the only way to enjoy this amazing dish.
In this recipe, we will prepare a flourless and healthier version that is still incredibly delicious and satisfying!
The combination of tender chicken, zesty lemon, briny capers, and rich Parmesan cheese makes this version of Chicken Piccata an absolute standout.
This dish is perfect for anyone following a gluten-free or low-carb diet. It’s also an excellent choice if you prefer a lighter preparation method that doesn’t involve dredging the chicken in flour before cooking.
Chicken Piccata without Flour
The star of the dish is, of course, the chicken.
Boneless chicken breasts are ideal in this recipe as they cook quickly, but still retain moisture. Seasoned with just the right spices, they serve as an excellent base to soak up the flavors of the sauce.
The sauce is where all the magic happens! Unlike the traditional recipe, this version doesn’t rely on flour to thicken it. Instead, it’s made with a combination of chicken stock and Parmesan cheese, giving it a rich and creamy texture.
The classic additions of garlic, butter, and capers add depth and make it irresistibly flavorful. And, of course, what’s Chicken Piccata without a generous squeeze of fresh lemon juice at the end? It’s what brings a bold, bright, and fresh element to the dish!
Once you’ve made the sauce and cooked the chicken, it’s a simple matter of pouring the sauce over the chicken, giving it a good squeeze of lemon, and you’re ready to dive in.
This dish is not only simple to prepare, but it also looks stunning when served, making it an excellent choice for both everyday dinners and special occasions.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need for this Chicken Piccata:
- Boneless chicken breasts. The main ingredient! Opt for boneless, skinless for the best results.
- Paprika and oregano. These spices add lovely flavor to the chicken.
- Parmesan cheese. A key part of the sauce for creaminess and a hint of saltiness.
- Garlic cloves. Essential for a deep, rich flavor.
- Chicken stock. This serves as the base for the sauce.
- Butter and capers. These ingredients add richness and a tangy bite to the sauce.
- Lemon. Don’t forget the lemon! It’s what gives the sauce its signature tangy flavor.
How to Make Chicken Piccata without Flour
Here’s a quick overview of the recipe:
Step 1: First, season the chicken with paprika, oregano, salt, and pepper, then cook it in a skillet until done. Remove the chicken and set it aside.
Step 2: In the same skillet, melt the butter and sauté the garlic until fragrant. Add the chicken stock and bring it to a simmer.
Step 3: Stir in the Parmesan cheese until it’s melted and incorporated. Finally, add the capers and a squeeze of lemon.
Step 4: Pour the sauce over the chicken and serve!
For the full recipe and specific amounts, see the recipe card below.
Tips for the Best Results
Here are a few tips to keep in mind:
- Pound the chicken. For quick and even cooking, pound your chicken to an even thickness before seasoning and cooking.
- Don’t overcook the chicken. Thin chicken breasts will only need a few minutes per side, so keep a close eye on them.
- Adjust the sauce consistency. If your sauce is too thick, add a bit more chicken stock. If it’s too thin, you can let it simmer a bit longer to thicken up.
Want to switch up the recipe? Here are a few ideas:
- Use a different protein. This sauce would be delicious with turkey cutlets or even thin pork chops.
- Add some veggies. You could stir in some spinach or artichoke hearts for extra flavor and nutrition.
- Make it creamy. If you want an even creamier sauce, you can add a splash of heavy cream or some Greek yogurt.
What to Serve with Chicken Piccata
Chicken Piccata is incredibly versatile and pairs well with a variety of sides. Here are a few ideas:
- Pasta or rice. For a heartier meal, serve your chicken piccata over spaghetti or rice.
- Roasted veggies. Oven-roasted broccoli or asparagus is a fantastic, healthy option.
- A fresh salad. A light, refreshing salad with a tangy vinaigrette is an excellent contrast to the richness of the chicken piccata.
Leftover chicken piccata can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
To reheat, I recommend using the microwave, though you can also reheat in a skillet over low heat if you prefer.
If the sauce has thickened too much in the refrigerator, you can stir in a little chicken stock or water to thin it out as you reheat. Just be sure to re-season with salt and pepper if needed.
Chicken Piccata without Flour
- 2 boneless chicken breasts
- ½ tsp paprika
- 1 tsp oregano
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp capers
- ½ lemon juiced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Season the chicken breasts with paprika, oregano, salt, and pepper on both sides.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and add a drizzle of olive oil. Place the seasoned chicken breasts in the skillet and cook for about 4 minutes per side, or until cooked through. Remove the chicken from the skillet and set aside.
- In the same skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the minced garlic and sauté for about 1 minute until fragrant.
- Pour in the chicken stock and bring it to a simmer. Stir in the Parmesan cheese until melted and incorporated into the sauce.
- Add the capers to the sauce and squeeze the lemon juice over it. Stir well to combine.
- Place the cooked chicken breasts back in the skillet and spoon the sauce over them.
- Cook for an additional 1-2 minutes, allowing the chicken to absorb some of the sauce and heat through.
- Remove from heat and serve the chicken piccata with additional sauce spooned over the top.