Spinach artichoke stuffed chicken without cream cheese is a delightful main course that’s rich in flavor and loaded with nutrients.
This recipe replaces cream cheese with other equally delicious and healthier ingredients for a lighter, more nutritious version of the classic dish.
The combination of chicken, fresh spinach, nutritious artichoke hearts, and the delightful hummus mixture is both filling and satisfying.
The addition of the panko breadcrumbs adds a lovely, crispy texture to the dish, offering a scrumptious contrast to the juicy chicken.
This incredible recipe is not only pleasing to the taste buds but also a nutritious, protein-rich meal — perfect for sharing with family and friends.
Spinach Artichoke Stuffed Chicken Without Cream Cheese
This delightful dish takes the flavors of the popular spinach artichoke dip and stuffs them inside a tender, juicy chicken breast.
The use of hummus instead of cream cheese maintains a creamy texture while providing additional nutrients and a unique flavor.
It’s a great way to elevate plain chicken into a delicious and eye-pleasing meal that everyone will love.
Serve it with a side of fresh vegetables or a salad for a well-rounded, wholesome dinner.
This spinach artichoke stuffed chicken without cream cheese recipe is a must-try! It’s quick, easy, and perfect for any occasion.
Here’s what you need:
- Spinach: Provides a vibrant green color and fresh taste. Ensure you chop the spinach.
- Artichoke Hearts: Adds a tangy flavor and a pleasant mouthfeel. Make sure to chop the artichoke hearts as well.
- Minced Garlic: Provides a burst of bold, aromatic taste.
- Hummus: It replaces the cream cheese for a healthier and equally delicious filling.
- Mayonnaise: Gives the filling a rich and creamy texture.
- Panko Breadcrumbs: Adds a crunchy texture to balance the creamy filling.
- Lemon Juice: Gives a slight tangy taste to cut through the richness.
- Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts: It’s the protein-rich base for the delicious stuffing.
- Salt & Pepper: To elevate the flavors of the dish.
How to Make Spinach Artichoke Stuffed Chicken Without Cream Cheese
Here’s how to prepare this mouthwatering dish:
- Prepare the chicken breasts. Start by cutting a pocket into the chicken breasts. Ensure you don’t slice all the way through the chicken.
- Make the stuffing. In a bowl, combine the chopped spinach, artichoke hearts, minced garlic, hummus, mayonnaise, panko breadcrumbs, and lemon juice. Mix until well combined.
- Stuff the chicken. Generously stuff the prepared mixture into each chicken breast pocket.
- Season and bake. Season each chicken breast with salt and pepper, then transfer to a baking dish. Bake at 375°F for about 25 to 30 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Serve and enjoy. Let the chicken cool slightly, then serve with your choice of sides.
Note: For the complete list of ingredients and directions, see the recipe card below.
Tips for the Best Spinach Artichoke Stuffed Chicken
Here are some tips to make sure your dish is a success:
- Don’t overstuff the chicken. It’s important to stuff the chicken breasts generously, but be careful not to overdo it, or the stuffing might spill out during cooking.
- Season generously. Be sure to season the chicken well with salt and pepper to bring out the flavors.
- Use a meat thermometer. To ensure your chicken is cooked through, use a meat thermometer to check. It should register at least 165°F.
- Let it cool before serving. Allowing the chicken to cool slightly after baking will make it easier to handle and prevent the filling from oozing out.
- Serve with fresh lemon wedges. Offering fresh lemon wedges alongside the chicken allows your guests to add an extra tangy kick, if desired.
- Make it spicy. If you like some heat, add a pinch of red pepper flakes to the stuffing mixture.
- Add cheese. Although we’re making a cream cheese-less version here, you can still add some cheese. Mix in some grated parmesan or shredded mozzarella for a cheesy twist.
- Try a different protein. This delicious stuffing works well with other proteins like pork tenderloin or fish fillets.
- Make it vegetarian. Skip the chicken and use the stuffing as a delicious filling for portobello mushrooms or zucchini boats.
What to Serve With Spinach Artichoke Stuffed Chicken
Spinach artichoke stuffed chicken is a versatile dish that pairs well with various sides. Here are some ideas:
- A fresh green salad drizzled with balsamic vinaigrette
- Roasted vegetables like carrots, Brussels sprouts, or asparagus
- Brown rice or quinoa for a wholesome, grainy option
- Creamy mashed potatoes or sweet potato mash
- Garlic bread for a comforting, carb-rich accompaniment
If you have leftovers, store them in an airtight container and refrigerate. The chicken will last for up to 3 to 4 days.
To reheat, place the chicken on a microwave-safe plate and microwave until heated through. You can also reheat in a preheated oven at 350°F until warm.
It’s also possible to freeze the cooked chicken. Allow it to cool completely, then place it in a freezer-safe container or bag. Freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight before reheating or use the defrost setting on your microwave.
Spinach Artichoke Stuffed Chicken (No Cream Cheese)
- 4 ounces fresh spinach (chopped, about 2 cups)
- 1 15-ounce can chopped artichoke hearts (about 1 3/4 cups)
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1/4 cup plain store-bought hummus
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Prepare the chicken breasts by cutting a pocket into each breast. Be careful not to slice all the way through the chicken.
- In a bowl, combine the chopped spinach, artichoke hearts, minced garlic, hummus, mayonnaise, Panko breadcrumbs, and lemon juice. Mix well until all ingredients are fully incorporated.
- Generously stuff each chicken breast pocket with the spinach and artichoke mixture.
- Season the stuffed chicken breasts with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the stuffed chicken breasts in a baking dish.
- Bake the chicken in the preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in the center. The internal temperature should read 165°F (75°C) when tested with a meat thermometer.
- Remove from the oven and let the chicken rest for a few minutes before serving.
- Serve the spinach artichoke stuffed chicken without cream cheese with your choice of sides and enjoy!
- Make sure the spinach and artichoke hearts are well-drained before using in the stuffing mixture.
- Adjust the seasoning according to your taste preferences.
- Serve the stuffed chicken alongside lemon wedges for an extra burst of tanginess.
- This recipe is easily customizable to suit your preferences. Feel free to add additional spices, herbs, or cheeses to the stuffing mixture.