Italian beef sandwiches are a beloved classic that are hard to resist.
With their juicy meat and hearty bread, they make for a filling and satisfying meal.
However, the addition of the best cheese for Italian beef sandwiches can take this already delicious sandwich to the next level.
Cheese not only adds flavor, but it can also help to balance out the richness of the meat and provide a creamy texture.
In this article, we’ll explore the top 10 cheeses to use in Italian beef sandwiches, as well as some alternative options and tips for pairing cheese with this iconic dish.
Whether you’re a cheese lover or simply looking to take your Italian beef sandwich game to the next level, this article is for you.
How To Pick The Right Cheese for Italian Beef Sandwiches
When it comes to choosing the best cheese for Italian beef sandwiches, there are a few key factors to consider. Here are some tips to help you make the right choice:
- Consider the Flavor: The cheese you choose should complement the flavors of the beef and the other ingredients in the sandwich. For example, a sharp cheddar or provolone cheese can help to cut through the richness of the meat, while a creamy cheese like brie or goat cheese can add a more subtle flavor.
- Think About Texture: The texture of the cheese is also important. You’ll want a cheese that melts well and doesn’t overpower the sandwich. For example, mozzarella, fontina, or gouda can provide a smooth, creamy texture that pairs well with Italian beef.
- Consider the Melting Point: When choosing a cheese for an Italian beef sandwich, it’s important to consider the cheese’s melting point. You don’t want a cheese that will completely melt away or become too oily when heated. Good options for melting include provolone, mozzarella, or even a mix of cheddar and Monterey jack.
- Consider the Occasion: The occasion or setting may also influence your cheese choice. If you’re making a sandwich for a casual lunch, you might choose a more accessible cheese like cheddar. On the other hand, if you’re entertaining or looking to impress, a fancier cheese like gouda or brie could be a good choice.
The 10 Best Cheeses for Italian Beef Sandwiches
Now that we know what to look for when choosing a cheese for Italian beef sandwiches, let’s dive into the top 10 cheeses that work well with this classic dish:
- Provolone: A classic choice for Italian beef sandwiches, provolone is a semi-hard cheese with a mild flavor that complements the beef without overpowering it. It also melts well, making it a great choice for sandwiches.
- Mozzarella: Another classic cheese for Italian beef sandwiches, mozzarella is a mild cheese that provides a creamy texture and melts beautifully. It pairs well with the richness of the beef and helps to balance out the flavors.
- Fontina: A semi-soft cheese with a nutty flavor, fontina is a great choice for Italian beef sandwiches. It has a high melting point, making it ideal for sandwiches, and its rich, creamy texture pairs well with the beef.
- Gouda: A Dutch cheese with a slightly sweet, nutty flavor, gouda is another great option for Italian beef sandwiches. It melts well and has a smooth texture that pairs nicely with the beef.
- Cheddar: A classic cheese that is always a crowd-pleaser, cheddar adds a sharp, tangy flavor to Italian beef sandwiches. It melts well and provides a nice contrast to the richness of the beef.
- Monterey Jack: A mild, creamy cheese that melts well, Monterey Jack is a great choice for Italian beef sandwiches. It provides a smooth texture and mild flavor that pairs well with the beef.
- Blue Cheese: If you’re looking for a more intense flavor, blue cheese is a great choice for Italian beef sandwiches. Its pungent, tangy flavor pairs well with the beef, and its crumbly texture adds a nice contrast.
- Brie: A soft, creamy cheese with a mild flavor, brie is a great choice for those who want a more subtle cheese flavor in their Italian beef sandwich. It pairs well with the richness of the beef and provides a nice creamy texture.
- Goat Cheese: Another mild cheese that works well with Italian beef sandwiches is goat cheese. Its tangy flavor adds a nice contrast to the beef, and its creamy texture is a great addition to the sandwich.
- Pepper Jack: If you’re looking for a cheese with a little kick, pepper jack is a great choice for Italian beef sandwiches. Its spicy flavor pairs well with the beef, and its melting point makes it a good option for sandwiches.
7 Alternative Cheeses for Italian Beef Sandwiches
While the previous section covered the top 10 cheeses for Italian beef sandwiches, there are many other cheese options that can be equally delicious. Here are 7 alternative cheeses to consider:
- Asiago: A hard cheese with a sharp, nutty flavor, asiago can add a nice contrast to the richness of the beef.
- Havarti: A Danish cheese with a buttery flavor, Havarti melts well and adds a smooth texture to the sandwich.
- Feta: A crumbly Greek cheese with a tangy flavor, feta can add a nice pop of flavor to Italian beef sandwiches.
- Swiss: A mild cheese with a slightly sweet, nutty flavor, Swiss can add a nice depth of flavor to the sandwich.
- Smoked Gouda: Smoked gouda adds a smoky flavor to the sandwich, and its creamy texture pairs well with the beef.
- Muenster: A mild, creamy cheese that melts well, Muenster can add a nice texture and flavor to Italian beef sandwiches.
- Pecorino Romano: A hard, salty Italian cheese, Pecorino Romano can add a nice depth of flavor to the sandwich.
5 Tips for Pairing Cheese with Italian Beef Sandwiches
Pairing cheese with Italian beef sandwiches can be a fun and creative process. Here are 5 tips to help you find the perfect cheese pairing:
- Consider the Bread: The bread you choose for your Italian beef sandwich can influence the cheese you choose. For example, a hearty bread like a ciabatta or focaccia can pair well with a stronger cheese like blue cheese or gouda, while a lighter bread like a baguette can pair well with a milder cheese like provolone or mozzarella.
- Experiment with Flavors: Don’t be afraid to experiment with different flavor combinations. For example, try pairing a spicy cheese like pepper jack with a sweet and tangy barbecue sauce.
- Contrast Flavors and Textures: A great cheese pairing can provide a nice contrast of flavors and textures. For example, pair a sharp cheddar with a creamy horseradish sauce or a crumbly blue cheese with a crunchy slaw.
- Keep it Simple: Sometimes less is more when it comes to cheese pairing. A simple provolone or mozzarella can let the flavors of the beef and other ingredients shine through.
- Don’t Overdo It: While cheese can enhance the flavor of Italian beef sandwiches, it’s important not to overdo it. Too much cheese can overpower the other ingredients and make the sandwich too heavy.
Choosing the best cheese for Italian beef sandwiches can make a big difference in the taste and texture of the sandwich. Whether you opt for a classic cheese like provolone or mozzarella, or experiment with something new like blue cheese or brie, the right cheese can complement the flavors of the beef and other ingredients, add a creamy texture, and take the sandwich to the next level.
By considering factors like flavor, texture, and melting point, you can make an informed choice about which cheese to use in your Italian beef sandwich.
And if you’re feeling adventurous, don’t be afraid to try out some of the alternative cheese options or experiment with different flavor combinations. The possibilities are endless when it comes to pairing cheese with Italian beef sandwiches, and with a little creativity, you can create a sandwich that is truly delicious.
The 10 Best Cheeses for Italian Beef Sandwiches
- Monterey Jack
- Blue Cheese
- Select your favorite cheese from this article.
- Organize all the required ingredients.
- Prep a delicious Italian Beef Sandwich in 30 minutes or less!