Few foods are as quintessentially American as the hot dog, and it’s no secret that adding cheese can take this classic dish to the next level.
However, with so many cheese varieties available, choosing the right one can be overwhelming.
That’s why we’ve compiled a list of the top 10 cheeses that are sure to complement your hot dogs perfectly.
Whether you prefer traditional options or more unique alternatives, this guide has got you covered.
So, let’s dive in and discover the best cheese for hot dogs!
How To Pick The Right Cheese for Hot Dogs
When it comes to selecting the perfect cheese for hot dogs, there are a few key factors to consider:
- Flavor Profile: The cheese you choose should complement the flavor of the hot dog rather than overpower it. For example, if you prefer a classic hot dog with ketchup and mustard, a milder cheese like American or cheddar may be the best choice. On the other hand, if you like your hot dog with more robust toppings like chili or sauerkraut, a sharper cheese like pepper jack or Swiss can add a nice kick.
- Texture: The texture of the cheese is also important. You’ll want a cheese that melts well, so it can blend seamlessly with the hot dog and other toppings. Some cheeses, like mozzarella or provolone, are known for their meltability, while others, like feta or blue cheese, may not be the best choice for this reason.
- Serving Suggestions: Consider how you plan to serve the hot dogs. If you’re grilling them outside, you may want a cheese that won’t melt too quickly in the heat. Alternatively, if you’re serving hot dogs as a party snack, you may prefer a cheese that can be easily sliced and added to a charcuterie board.
The 10 Best Cheeses for Hot Dogs
There are countless cheese options available, but some are more well-suited for hot dogs than others. Here are the top 10 best cheeses for hot dogs:
- American Cheese: Perhaps the most classic cheese for hot dogs, American cheese is mild and melts easily. It’s perfect for those who prefer a more traditional hot dog.
- Cheddar Cheese: Sharp cheddar cheese pairs well with spicy hot dogs or those with bold toppings. Its strong flavor can stand up to stronger flavors.
- Swiss Cheese: This nutty cheese is a great choice for hot dogs served with sauerkraut or other tangy toppings. It has a distinctive flavor that can add depth to any hot dog.
- Provolone Cheese: With a mild and slightly sweet flavor, provolone cheese is a versatile option that can be used on all kinds of hot dogs.
- Pepper Jack Cheese: For those who like their hot dogs with a kick, pepper jack cheese is the perfect choice. It has a spicy flavor that can enhance the overall taste of the hot dog.
- Colby Jack Cheese: A blend of colby and Monterey Jack cheeses, Colby Jack is a mild, creamy cheese that’s perfect for hot dogs.
- Mozzarella Cheese: This mild cheese is known for its meltability, making it a great choice for hot dogs served with marinara sauce or other Italian-inspired toppings.
- Gouda Cheese: Smoky and slightly sweet, gouda cheese pairs well with grilled hot dogs and other smoky flavors.
- Blue Cheese: If you’re looking for a cheese with a distinctive flavor, blue cheese is the way to go. It pairs well with hot dogs served with bacon or other salty toppings.
- Feta Cheese: While it may not be the most traditional cheese for hot dogs, feta cheese can add a tangy kick to your hot dog. It’s especially good when paired with Greek-inspired toppings like olives and tzatziki sauce.
7 Alternative Cheeses for Hot Dogs
If you’re looking for something a little different than the traditional hot dog cheeses, try one of these 7 alternative options:
- Brie Cheese: Creamy and buttery, brie cheese is a delicious addition to any hot dog. It pairs well with sweet toppings like caramelized onions or fig jam.
- Smoked Gouda Cheese: With a smoky flavor that’s reminiscent of barbecue, smoked gouda cheese is perfect for hot dogs cooked on the grill. It’s also great with bacon and other smoky toppings.
- Havarti Cheese: This mild, buttery cheese is a great choice for hot dogs served with vegetables like grilled peppers or onions.
- Queso Blanco Cheese: This Mexican cheese has a mild, creamy flavor that’s perfect for hot dogs served with salsa or other spicy toppings.
- Muenster Cheese: Mild and creamy, muenster cheese pairs well with hot dogs served with sauerkraut or other tangy toppings.
- Fontina Cheese: With a nutty flavor and excellent melting properties, fontina cheese is a great choice for hot dogs served with Italian-inspired toppings like pesto or sun-dried tomatoes.
- Gruyere Cheese: This Swiss cheese has a nutty flavor that pairs well with hot dogs served with caramelized onions or other sweet toppings.
5 Tips for Pairing Cheeses with Hot Dogs
Pairing cheese with hot dogs may seem like a simple task, but there are a few tips to keep in mind to ensure you get the best flavor combination possible. Here are 5 tips for pairing cheeses with hot dogs:
- Consider the Toppings: The cheese you choose should complement the toppings on your hot dog. For example, if you’re serving a hot dog with chili, you may want to choose a cheese with a milder flavor to balance out the spiciness.
- Mix and Match: Don’t be afraid to mix and match different cheese types to find the perfect flavor combination. For example, you could try combining cheddar and pepper jack cheeses for a spicy and bold flavor.
- Go Bold: If you’re feeling adventurous, try a cheese with a strong flavor, like blue cheese or feta. These cheeses can add a unique and exciting twist to your hot dog.
- Experiment with Texture: The texture of the cheese can also play a role in the overall flavor of your hot dog. Try different types of cheese, like shredded or sliced, to find the perfect texture for your taste.
- Think Beyond the Bun: Cheese can also be used in other ways when serving hot dogs. Try topping your hot dog with a cheese sauce or adding cheese to a hot dog casserole for a delicious and cheesy twist on this classic dish.
In this article, we’ve explored the top 10 best cheeses for hot dogs, along with 7 alternative cheese options and 5 tips for pairing cheese with this classic American dish. From traditional favorites like American and cheddar cheese to more unique options like brie and queso blanco, there’s no shortage of cheese types to choose from.
When selecting the right cheese for your hot dog, consider factors like flavor profile, texture, and serving suggestions. By following these tips, you can find the perfect cheese to complement your hot dog and create a delicious and memorable dish.
The 10 Best Cheeses for Hot Dogs
- American Cheese
- Swiss Cheese
- Provolone Cheese
- Pepper Jack Cheese
- Colby Jack Cheese
- Blue Cheese
- Select your favorite cheese from this article.
- Organize all the required ingredients.
- Prep a delicious hot dog with cheese in 30 minutes or less!