If you don’t enjoy mushrooms or simply don’t have them on hand, this chicken ala king without mushrooms recipe is perfect for you!
It’s a creamy and hearty dish that’s packed with tender chicken and other delicious ingredients.
Chicken ala king might sound fancy, but it’s incredibly easy to make. With a handful of ingredients and about 30 minutes of your time, you can already indulge in this satisfying meal.
The combination of the rich and creamy sauce, succulent chicken, and vibrant peas will truly leave you satisfied. Plus, the touch of toasted almonds on top adds a lovely crunchy texture.
So, let’s get the stove ready, grab our aprons, and let’s make this oh-so-comforting chicken ala king without mushrooms!
Chicken Ala King without Mushrooms
Chicken ala king is a classic recipe that dates back to the early 1900s. It’s traditionally made with a creamy sauce, mushrooms, and bell peppers served over rice, pasta, or bread.
This recipe puts a slight twist on the original by omitting the mushrooms. However, it doesn’t lack in flavor and deliciousness. The creaminess, sweetness from the peas, and the tenderness of the chicken will captivate your taste buds.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need for this recipe:
- Butter. This will be the base for your roux, which will thicken the sauce.
- All-purpose Flour. It will give your sauce a smooth and silky consistency.
- Milk. Opt for whole milk for a richer and creamier sauce.
- Chicken Base. It will provide an intense chicken flavor to your sauce. You can opt for a low-sodium chicken base, so you can control the dish’s saltiness.
- Sour Cream (or Greek Yogurt). It will add tanginess to your sauce and enhance its creaminess.
- Heavy Cream. It will make your sauce richer and smoother.
- Cooked Chicken. You can use your choice of chicken parts or even use leftover roasted chicken.
- Frozen Peas. They’ll add sweetness and vibrancy to the dish.
- Toasted Slivered Almonds. They’ll act as a garnish and provide a lovely crunch.
- Chopped Chives. Though optional, they’ll add a bit of freshness to the dish.
How to Make Chicken Ala King without Mushrooms
Here’s how to make this delicious dish:
- Prepare the base. Melt the butter in a large skillet or pan. Add the flour and cook for a couple of minutes, stirring constantly.
- Make the sauce. Gradually whisk in the milk and chicken base until the mixture is smooth. Continue cooking and whisking until the sauce thickens.
- Add the chicken and peas. Stir in the cooked chicken and frozen peas. Let it simmer until the peas are cooked through.
- Add the cream and sour cream. Stir in the heavy cream and sour cream (or Greek yogurt). Continue simmering until everything is heated through.
- Serve. Transfer the dish to a serving plate and top with the toasted slivered almonds and chopped chives, if desired.
- Enjoy! Serve it as is, over rice, pasta, or on a buttered roll.
Tips for the Best Chicken Ala King
To make the best chicken ala king without mushrooms, consider the following tips:
- Use good-quality chicken. Whether you’re using fresh or leftover chicken, make sure it’s adequately seasoned and cooked. It’s the star ingredient, so it has to be tasty and juicy.
- Adjust the sauce consistency. Depending on your preference, you can make the sauce thicker or thinner by adjusting the amount of flour and milk.
- Add other vegetables. Frozen peas are great, but you can also add other vegetables like carrots, corn, or bell peppers. Just make sure to cook them properly before adding to the dish.
- Don’t forget the garnish. Though optional, the toasted slivered almonds and chopped chives add a nice touch to the dish. They provide a contrasting texture and a pop of freshness.
- Serve it in various ways. Chicken ala king is versatile and can be served in different ways. Besides over rice or pasta, you can also serve it on toast, in puff pastry shells, or as a filling for a pot pie.
If you want to change it up, here are a few variations you can try:
- Add different proteins. Don’t limit yourself to chicken. You can also use turkey, shrimp, or even tofu for a vegetarian option.
- Make it spicy. Add some hot sauce or red pepper flakes to give your dish a kick.
- Make it cheesy. Stir in some shredded cheese at the end to make your dish extra cheesy and oozy.
- Use a different base. Instead of chicken base, you can use vegetable or beef base to change the flavor profile of your dish.
- Make it healthier. You can use low-fat milk, reduced-fat sour cream, and Greek yogurt instead of heavy cream. You can also add more vegetables and reduce the amount of chicken for a lighter version.
What to Serve with Chicken Ala King
Chicken ala king is pretty filling on its own, but if you want a complete meal, here are some delicious sides:
- Rice or Pasta. The classic choice is to serve your chicken ala king over rice or pasta. It’s simple, but it provides a good base for the rich and creamy dish.
- Bread. You can’t go wrong with serving some warm, crusty bread on the side. It’s perfect for mopping up that extra sauce.
- Salad. A refreshing green salad with a light vinaigrette is a great contrast to the rich and creamy chicken ala king.
- Roasted Vegetables. If you want something more substantial, try serving some roasted vegetables like carrots, broccoli, or Brussels sprouts. They’ll provide a nice variety in texture and flavor.
- Mashed Potatoes. Creamy mashed potatoes are a great companion to the ala king. You can even serve your chicken ala king on a bed of mashed potatoes for a different presentation.
- Coleslaw. A cold and creamy coleslaw can provide a nice contrast to the warm and rich chicken ala king.
If you have any leftovers, here’s what you can do:
- Refrigerate. Allow the chicken ala king to cool down, then transfer it to an airtight container. It will last for 3 to 4 days in the refrigerator.
- Freeze. If you want to store it for a longer period, transfer it to a freezer-safe container or heavy-duty freezer bags. It can last for up to 4 months in the freezer. Just make sure to leave some space for expansion, and if possible, remove any excess air before sealing.
- Thaw and Reheat. When you’re ready to eat, thaw the frozen chicken ala king in the refrigerator overnight. Once fully thawed, you can reheat it in the microwave, stirring every minute until heated through. Alternatively, you can reheat it on the stovetop over low heat, stirring occasionally, until hot. If it’s too thick, you can add a splash of milk to thin it out while reheating.
- Note: The texture of the sour cream or Greek yogurt may slightly change after thawing and reheating. It may become a bit grainy. To prevent this, you can add the sour cream or Greek yogurt after thawing and reheating the rest of the dish.
- Safety Note: Remember to practice safe food handling and make sure the dish is at a safe internal temperature before consuming. When reheating, the internal temperature should reach 165°F (74°C).
Chicken Ala King without Mushrooms
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1 ½ tsp chicken base
- 1/3 cup sour cream (or Greek yogurt)
- 2 tbsp heavy cream
- 2 cups cooked chicken (cubed or shredded)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/3 cup toasted slivered almonds
- 1 tbsp chopped chives for garnish (optional)
- In a large skillet or pan, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the flour to the melted butter and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Gradually whisk in the milk and chicken base until the mixture is smooth. Continue cooking and whisking until the sauce thickens.
- Stir in the cooked chicken and frozen peas. Let it simmer until the peas are cooked through.
- Stir in the sour cream (or Greek yogurt) and heavy cream. Continue simmering until everything is heated through.
- Transfer the chicken ala king to a serving plate. Top with toasted slivered almonds and chopped chives for garnish, if desired.
- Serve the chicken ala king over rice or pasta, and enjoy!