With so many different herbs and spices to choose from, it can be hard to know which ones to use with orange chicken.
Do you want to keep it simple with just salt and pepper?
Or do you want to get creative and experiment with some new flavor combinations?
Either way, I’ve got you covered.
In this blog post, I’m sharing 9 different herbs and spices that go well with orange chicken.
So whether you are looking for a simple seasoning or something more adventurous, you are sure to find the perfect option on this list!
What Herbs and Spices Go with Orange Chicken?
There are many herbs and spices you can use with orange chicken. Common choices include ginger, garlic, green onions, and cilantro. You can also add in some red pepper flakes for a bit of heat. For a sweeter dish, add in some honey or brown sugar.
Looking for more ideas?
Then keep reading!
Here are 9 herbs and spices that go with orange chicken:
This woodsy aromatic herb has notes of citrus, lavender, pine and sage, making it a perfect addition to orange chicken.
Here are three ways to use rosemary with orange chicken:
- Add a sprig of rosemary to the pan when cooking the chicken.
- Make a rosemary-infused oil by adding a few sprigs of rosemary to a jar of olive oil. Use this oil to brush on the chicken before grilling or roasting.
- Add some chopped rosemary to the batter when making fried chicken. The herb will give the chicken a nice flavor and aroma.
This herb dances between earthy and minty, making it a versatile spice to keep in your cabinet.
When used with orange chicken, it can add depth of flavor or a bright zing – it all depends on how you use it.
Here are three ways to use thyme with orange chicken:
- For a deeper flavor, add thyme to the marinade. This will allow the herb’s flavors to seep into the meat, infusing the dish with its earthy goodness.
- If you want a brighter flavor, sprinkle some thyme on top of the finished dish. The minty notes of the herb will contrast nicely with the sweetness of the sauce.
- For a bit of both, add thyme to the marinade and also sprinkle some on top of the finished dish. This will give you a well-rounded orange chicken dish that is full of flavor.
Sage has an earthy taste, combining the smell and flavors of citrus and pine.
It is a very versatile herb that goes well with many different dishes.
Here are three ways to use sage with orange chicken:
- Add a few sage leaves to the pan when cooking the chicken. The sage will infuse its flavor into the dish and complement the sweetness of the oranges.
- Mix chopped sage into the batter before frying the chicken. This will give the chicken a subtle sage flavor that will be detectable in each bite.
- Garnish the finished dish with some chopped sage leaves. This will add a pop of color and freshness, as well as a little bit of extra flavor.
The flavor of this herb is a balance between sweet and savory, which makes it a perfect addition to orange chicken.
You can use basil in three different ways: as a seasoning, in a sauce, or as a garnish.
- To use basil as a seasoning, simply add it to the breading mixture that you use to coat the chicken.
- To make a basil sauce, cook chopped basil leaves in a little bit of orange juice and chicken broth until the leaves are wilted. Then puree the mixture and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve the sauce over the cooked chicken.
- To use basil as a garnish, simply sprinkle some chopped leaves over the finished dish.
Oregano is a strong herb with a peppery bite and a sweet, almost minty aroma.
It is a versatile herb that can be used in many different dishes.
Three recipes that use oregano with orange chicken are orange chicken with oregano, rosemary, and thyme, oregano and orange chicken skewers, and orange chicken with oregano and sage.
- Orange chicken with oregano, rosemary, and thyme is a fragrant and flavorful dish that is perfect for a winter meal. To make it, simply season your chicken with salt, pepper, and oregano. Then cook it in a pan with some olive oil. Once it is cooked through, add in some fresh rosemary and thyme.
- Oregano and orange chicken skewers are a great option for a summer BBQ. To make them, simply marinate chicken breasts in a mixture of olive oil, orange juice, garlic, and oregano. Then thread them onto skewers and grill over medium-high heat until cooked through.
- Orange chicken with oregano and sage is a dish that is packed with flavor. To make it, simply season your chicken with salt, pepper, and oregano. Then cook it in a pan with some olive oil. Once it is cooked through, add in some fresh sage leaves.
Earthy and warm with an edge of citrus, cumin is the perfect herb to use with orange chicken.
Here are some ways to use it:
- Add a teaspoon of cumin to the breading mixture when coating the chicken.
- Mix cumin with orange zest and use it as a rub for the chicken.
- Add a teaspoon of cumin to the sauce when you are cooking it.
Coriander is as floral as cardamom, as citrusy as lemongrass, and as earthy as cumin.
It’s the perfect spice to use with orange chicken!
Here are three ways to use it:
- Add a teaspoon of coriander to the marinade for your orange chicken.
- Sprinkle some coriander on top of your cooked orange chicken.
- Add a teaspoon of coriander to the sauce that you use for your orange chicken.
The flavor of paprika depends.
For orange chicken, I would recommend using smoked paprika to give the dish a smoky flavor.
You could also use sweet paprika for a sweeter flavor or hot paprika for a spicier dish.
Here are three ways to use paprika with orange chicken:
- Sprinkle smoked paprika on top of the chicken before cooking to give it a smoky flavor.
- Add sweet paprika to the sauce for a sweeter flavor.
- Add hot paprika to the sauce for a spicier dish.
Turmeric is overwhelmingly earthy and bitter, so it might seem like an odd choice to use with orange chicken.
But trust me, it works!
Here are three ways to use turmeric with orange chicken:
- Add a pinch of turmeric to the breading for a subtle flavor that will complement the sweetness of the sauce.
- Mix turmeric with the flour that you use to coat the chicken before frying. This will give the chicken a beautiful golden color.
- Use turmeric in the marinade for the chicken. This will give the chicken a subtle flavor and help to tenderize it.
What Herbs and Spices Go with Orange Chicken? (9 Options)
- Pick your favorite herb/spice from this list to add to your chicken recipe.
- Prepare the rest of your delicious meal.
- Enjoy in no time!