Do you love orange chicken? It’s one of my favorite take-out meals but it can be pretty heavy on the calories.
Luckily, there are plenty of delicious and healthy vegetables that go great with orange chicken.
So if you are looking for some vegetable side dish ideas to lighten up your next orange chicken meal, then you are in the right place.
I’m sharing 10 of the best vegetables to serve with orange chicken including roasted vegetables, sauteed vegetables, stir-fried vegetables, and more.
What Vegetables Go with Orange Chicken?
You can serve many vegetables with orange chicken. Some good options include broccoli, carrots, snap peas, and green beans. You could also serve a side of rice or noodles. For a more complete meal, add in a salad or soup.
Are you still looking for ideas?
Then simply keep scrolling!
Here are 10 vegetables that go with orange chicken:
Carrots not only add beautiful color to your plate but they also taste great with orange chicken!
I like to serve them roasted, as it brings out their natural sweetness.
- To roast carrots, simply toss them in a little olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Then bake in a preheated oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 15-20 minutes.
You can also add a touch of honey for an extra bit of sweetness.
Cauliflower is known for being bland, but I like to think of it as the chameleon of vegetables.
It can be cooked in many different ways and takes on the flavors of whatever it is cooked with.
I think it pairs well with orange chicken because the two dishes share a similar flavor profile.
Some other cauliflower dishes that would go well with orange chicken are roasted cauliflower, mashed cauliflower, and cauliflower rice.
- Roasted cauliflower is a simple dish that is full of flavor. To make it, simply toss cauliflower florets in a little olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Then bake in a preheated oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 15-20 minutes.
- Mashed cauliflower is a creamy and flavorful side dish that makes a great alternative to mashed potatoes. To make it, cook cauliflower in boiling water until soft, then mash with butter, milk, and seasonings to taste.
- Cauliflower rice is a healthy alternative to traditional rice that goes well with many different dishes. To make it, simply pulse cauliflower florets in a food processor until they resemble rice grains. Then cook in a little olive oil over medium heat until tender.
Beets are so beautiful when served together with orange chicken!
I love how the orange pops against the deep purple of the beets.
And they taste great together, too!
The sweetness of the oranges complements the earthiness of the beets perfectly.
If you’re looking for a new veggie to try with your orange chicken, I highly recommend giving beets a try.
They’re easy to prepare and make a beautiful addition to any meal.
Plus, they’re packed with nutrients like fiber, vitamins, and minerals.
When have mushrooms ever NOT been a good idea?
They’re always a solid choice.
But if you’re looking for something to serve with your orange chicken, they’re an especially great option.
Mushrooms are a versatile vegetable that can be cooked in many different ways.
Three recipes that would go well with orange chicken are sauteed mushrooms, grilled mushrooms, and mushroom soup.
- Sauteed mushrooms are a quick and easy side dish that can be made in just a few minutes. To make them, simply cook mushrooms in a little olive oil or butter until they are browned and tender. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Grilled mushrooms are a great way to add some smoky flavor to your meal. To make them, simply toss mushrooms in a little olive oil or butter, then grill over medium-high heat until they are browned and tender. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Mushroom soup is a rich and creamy soup that is perfect for cold winter nights. To make it, simply cook mushrooms in a mixture of milk and cream, then season with salt, pepper, and thyme to taste.
Corn is a classic vegetable to serve with chicken, and I love pairing it with orange chicken.
The sweetness of the orange sauce complements the sweetness of the corn perfectly.
Three recipes that would go well with orange chicken are creamed corn, roasted corn, and corn salad.
- Creamed corn is a rich and creamy side dish that pairs well with the sweetness of orange chicken. To make it, simply cook corn in a mixture of milk and cream, then season with salt, pepper, and sugar to taste.
- Roasted corn is a simple and healthy side dish that brings out the natural sweetness of the corn. To make it, simply toss corn kernels in a little olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Then bake in a preheated oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 15-20 minutes.
- Corn salad is a light and refreshing side dish that is perfect for summer. To make it, simply mix together cooked corn, diced tomatoes, diced cucumbers, diced red onions, and a vinaigrette of your choice.
Asparagus is super healthy for you and it’s a great side to have with orange chicken because it compliments the flavors so well!
Plus, it looks really pretty when everything is plated up.
Here are three ways to prepare asparagus that I think would be delicious with orange chicken.
- Roasted asparagus is simple to make and only requires a few ingredients. All you need is some olive oil, salt, and pepper. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and then roast the asparagus for 10-15 minutes.
- Grilled asparagus is a great way to add some smoky flavor to the dish. Season the asparagus with salt, pepper, and olive oil before grilling over medium-high heat for 10-15 minutes.
- Asparagus soup is a creamy and flavorful soup that is perfect for a winter meal. To make it, simply cook the asparagus in chicken or vegetable broth until tender. Then blend the soup until smooth and season with salt and pepper to taste.
7. Bell Peppers
Why not add some pretty bell peppers to your chicken dish?
They come in all sorts of colors and they’re so good for you!
Plus, they’ll add a little bit of crunch to your meal.
You can use any color of bell pepper that you like, but I think that red, yellow, and orange would look especially nice.
Although zucchini might not pack a ton of flavor on its own, it is the perfect vegetable to serve with orange chicken because it soaks up all of the delicious sauce.
Plus, it’s a healthy vegetable that you can feel good about eating.
Here are three recipes for zucchini that would go well with orange chicken.
- Zucchini noodles are a great way to enjoy the flavor of orange chicken without all the carbs. To make them, simply spiralize a zucchini into noodles using a spiralizer or julienne peeler. Then, sauté the noodles in a little olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Grilled zucchini is a healthy and flavorful side dish that pairs well with orange chicken. To make it, simply slice a zucchini into thick rounds and brush with olive oil. Then, grill over medium-high heat for 5-7 minutes per side.
- Roasted zucchini is another easy and tasty side dish that goes well with orange chicken. To make it, simply toss sliced zucchini in a little olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Then roast in a preheated oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 15-20 minutes.
9. Green Beans
These long and slender green beans go so well with orange chicken!
I like to cook them until they’re slightly charred on the outside but still have a crunch to them.
The sweetness of the orange chicken pairs perfectly with the savory green beans.
Leeks are great for adding flavor to dishes without overpowering them.
They have a delicate onion flavor that goes well with orange chicken.
I like to use leeks in stir-fries, as they add a nice depth of flavor.
- To make a leek and orange chicken stir-fry, simply cook sliced leeks in a little oil until they are softened.
- Then add cubed chicken and cook until browned. Finally, add a jar of your favorite orange sauce and serve over rice.
- Another way to use leeks with orange chicken is to roast them. Simply toss leeks in a little olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Then roast in a preheated oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 15-20 minutes. Serve alongside your favorite orange chicken recipe.
- You can also use leeks to make an orange chicken salad. Simply mix together cubed chicken, diced leeks, diced oranges, chopped nuts, and a vinaigrette of your choice.
What Vegetables Go with Orange Chicken? (10 Veggies)
- Bell Peppers
- Green Beans
- Pick your favorite vegetable side dish from this list to serve with your chicken.
- Prepare the ingredients according to the recipe.
- Serve it up in no time!