I love chicken meatballs.
But I also love sauce.
I mean, what’s not to love about sauce?
It can make even the most boring dish taste delicious.
And when it comes to chicken meatballs, there are so many different sauces to choose from.
So in this blog post, I’m going to share with you my 12 favorite sauces that go great with chicken meatballs.
I’m sure you’ll find at least one or two that you’ll love as well.
What Sauce Goes with Chicken Meatballs?
The best sauce to use with chicken meatballs is a tomato-based sauce. This will help to keep the meatballs moist and add flavor to them. You can also use a cream-based sauce, which will also add flavor and moisture.
All of the following sauces will go great with chicken meatballs.
I’ve listed them in no particular order.
1. Tomato Sauce
This is the most classic of all the sauces on this list.
Tomato sauce is always a good choice, whether you’re making spaghetti and meatballs (See Also: Best Salads For Spaghetti and Meatballs) or just serving chicken meatballs as an appetizer.
Here are 3 ways to add extra flavor to your tomato sauce:
- Add a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar to the sauce.
- Add a tablespoon of honey to the sauce.
- Add some chopped fresh basil or oregano to the sauce.
2. Pesto Sauce
Pesto is a great alternative to tomato sauce.
It’s made with fresh basil, olive oil, Parmesan cheese, and pine nuts.
It has a bright, flavorful taste that goes great with chicken meatballs.
And if you think pesto is only good on pasta, think again.
Try it on chicken meatballs and you’ll be hooked.
3. Alfredo Sauce
Alfredo sauce is a rich, creamy sauce made with butter, cream, and Parmesan cheese.
It’s the perfect sauce for chicken meatballs.
If you want to add a little extra flavor to your Alfredo sauce, try adding a tablespoon of chopped fresh parsley or basil.
4. BBQ Sauce
BBQ sauce is the perfect combination of sweet and spicy.
The sweetness comes from the molasses or honey, while the spice comes from the chili powder or cayenne pepper.
BBQ sauce is also thick and rich, which makes it perfect for coating chicken meatballs.
The thickness also helps to keep the meatballs moist and juicy.
You can either buy BBQ sauce at the store, or you can make your own.
5. Cheese Sauce
As a cheese lover myself, I can attest to the fact that cheese makes everything better.
And when it comes to chicken meatballs, cheese sauce is the way to go.
It’s creamy, it’s flavorful, and it pairs perfectly with the juicy chicken meatballs.
Plus, it’s super easy to make.
Here’s what you need:
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Simply whisk together the milk and flour in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Then, add in the shredded cheese and continue whisking until the cheese is melted and the sauce is smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Your cheese sauce is now ready to be enjoyed.
6. Mushroom Sauce
Seriously, I’ve loved chicken meatballs since I was a kid.
And while I’ve always enjoyed them with plain old tomato sauce, there’s something about mushroom sauce that just takes them to the next level.
The mushrooms add a depth of flavor that you just can’t get from tomato sauce alone.
And if you’re looking for a bit of a change from your usual chicken meatball routine, this is definitely the way to go.
7. Teriyaki Sauce
This sauce is sticky, sweet, and tangy, with a hint of smokiness that makes it irresistible.
Serve it over chicken meatballs, and watch as they disappear!
To add more flavor to the sauce, try one (or all!) of these three methods:
- Use fresh ginger in the sauce for a zingy kick.
- Add a touch of honey to balance out the acidity from the vinegar.
- Stir in some smoked paprika for an extra smoky flavor.
8. Honey Mustard Sauce
Ah, the family hero: honey mustard sauce.
It’s sweet, it’s tangy, it’s everything you could want in a dipping sauce – and more.
Here are three ways to make this classic even better.
- For an extra zing, add a touch of horseradish to the mix. This will give the sauce a bit of heat without overwhelming the other flavors.
- If you want a richer flavor, try using Dijon mustard instead of regular yellow mustard. The depth of flavor will really elevate your chicken meatballs (and make them even more irresistible).
- Finally, for a hint of sweetness that takes this sauce over the top, stir in a tablespoon or two of honey. You won’t be able to get enough!
9. Hot Sauce
Why not add some extra zing to your chicken meatballs with a hot sauce?
It’s an easy way to add more flavor and spice things up.
Here are three ways to add even more flavor to your hot sauce:
- Add some chopped onions or shallots into the sauce. This will give it a nice sweetness and savoriness that will complement the spiciness of the sauce.
- If you want more of a smoky flavor, try adding in some smoked paprika or chipotle powder. This will also give the sauce a nice color too.
- For an extra kick, throw in some cayenne pepper or habanero peppers. This will make the sauce really spicy, so be careful!
With these three simple additions, you can take your hot sauce from good to great.
I bet if you open your fridge right now, you will find a bottle of ketchup.
It is such a staple condiment that we often forget how versatile it can be.
Ketchup can be used as a base for so many different sauces – like this one!
- To make a delicious and slightly sweet sauce to go with your chicken meatballs, start with ketchup as your base.
- Then, add in some chopped onion, garlic, and a touch of honey.
- Give it all a good stir and let the flavors meld together.
If you want to add a bit more depth of flavor, you could also try adding in some Worcestershire sauce or smoked paprika.
Both of these ingredients will take the sauce to the next level.
11. Soy Sauce
I always have a bottle of soy sauce in my pantry because it is so versatile.
Not only does it make a great dipping sauce, but you can also use it as a marinade or stir-fry sauce.
When it comes to chicken meatballs, soy sauce is one of my go-to sauces because it is so easy to make and really packs a flavor punch.
- To make the soy sauce even more flavorful, you can add in some garlic, ginger, and green onions. These three ingredients are commonly used in Asian cuisine and will really take your soy sauce to the next level.
- If you want to give the soy sauce a little bit of sweetness, you can add in a touch of honey or brown sugar. This will balance out the saltiness of the soy sauce and give the meatballs a delicious glaze.
- Finally, if you want to add some heat to the dish, you can stir in some chili flakes or Sriracha sauce. This will give the meatballs a nice kick that will leave your taste buds tingling!
12. Sweet and Sour Sauce
This sauce needs no introduction because it’s a classic that goes great with chicken meatballs.
But if you want to add more flavor to it, here are three ways to do so:
- Use fresh pineapple juice instead of store-bought to make the sauce more vibrant and flavorful.
- Add a teaspoon of grated ginger for a zesty kick.
- Stir in some chopped cilantro or green onions for a touch of freshness.
What Sauce Goes with Chicken Meatballs? (12 Best Sauces)
- Tomato Sauce
- Pesto Sauce
- Alfredo Sauce
- BBQ Sauce
- Cheese Sauce
- Mushroom Sauce
- Teriyaki Sauce
- Honey Mustard Sauce
- Hot Sauce
- Soy Sauce
- Sweet and Sour Sauce
- Pick any sauce from this post to serve with your meatballs.
- Prepare the ingredients according to the recipe.
- Enjoy in no time!