When you know what cheese goes with BBQ sauce, the possibilities for your next grilling session are endless.
Cheese and barbeque sauce have a unique combination that tantalizes the taste buds.
But all cheeses don’t pair equally well with different variations of barbecue sauces.
If you want to make sure your next cookout is a delicious success, read on!
In this article, I’ll show you 9 kinds of cheese that go perfectly with BBQ sauce.
From crowd-pleasing classics like cheddar and swiss to bolder options like gouda and provolone, there’s something here for everyone who loves cheesy melty goodness!
So grab your griddle and get ready to whip up a batch of mouthwatering sandwiches or chicken wings smothered in tangy barbeque sauce sprinkled with delicious cheeses.
In a rush? Here is the short answer:
The best kinds of cheese to pair with BBQ sauce are cheddar, mozzarella, Monterey Jack, and Gouda. Soft cheeses like Brie or Camembert can also be delicious when combined with a tangy BBQ sauce. For an extra kick, try adding crumbled blue cheese to your dish.
Now, let’s explore some more options!
Since there are so many varieties of Gouda, it’s tough to describe the flavor profile of all versions.
Generally, young Gouda is sweet, mild and a little fudgy while aged Gouda has more caramel notes, nuttiness and tang.
When pairing with BBQ sauce, you can get creative by using Gouda in different recipes or ways that allow the cheese’s unique flavors to be showcased.
Here are three creative ways to pair this cheese with BBQ sauce:
- Make a juicy cheeseburger topped with melted gouda and your favorite BBQ sauce for an unforgettable meal.
- Whip up some delicious mac & cheese made even better when topped with crispy bacon bits and drizzled in BBQ sauce.
- Create a loaded grilled cheese sandwich filled with smoked gouda, shredded chicken and drenched in smoky barbecue sauce.
Cheddar is likely the most popular type of cheese in the world.
It has a buttery, slightly moist texture that can range from mild to sharp depending on its age.
Mild cheddars are creamy and smooth with a subtle nutty flavor, while aged cheddars become more crumbly and sharp, offering an intense umami-like taste.
Pairing cheddar with BBQ sauce is an excellent way to add depth of flavor and complexity to your dishes.
Here are some creative ways to do it:
- Make a cheddar cheese dip by combining grated cheddar with your favorite BBQ sauce for a delicious appetizer or snack. Serve it alongside chips or vegetables for dipping.
- Add small cubes of cheddar cheese into your next batch of barbecue ribs for extra cheesy goodness! The smoky sweetness of the sauce will highlight the rich flavors in the cheese even further.
- Spread some BBQ sauce onto slices of sourdough bread, top them off with shredded cheddar cheese, and bake until golden brown and bubbly.
3. Monterey Jack
How about something special to accompany your next BBQ?
Monterey Jack is the perfect cheese for this.
It has a mild, buttery flavor and a pale-yellow color with a compact and supple texture.
Here are some creative ways to use it with BBQ sauce:
- Use it as an ingredient in homemade pizza or flatbreads – spread on the dough, top with your favorite BBQ ingredients, then sprinkle Monterey Jack over the top before baking.
- Spread onto tortillas or chapatis – layer on some grated Monterey Jack, then spoon over some warm BBQ sauce and fold up into tacos or wraps
- Make cheesy nachos – bake tortilla chips until crisp and golden, then scatter over grated Monterey Jack and drizzle generously with your favorite barbecue sauce. Bake again until melted and bubbling!
Brie is often associated with its luxurious, creamy texture.
It has a mild, yet nutty and fruity flavor, complemented by notes of buttery and earthy undertones.
There are many creative ways to pair brie cheese with BBQ sauce.
Three delicious examples include:
- Baked Brie in Puff Pastry – top your puff pastry-wrapped brie cheese with a generous layer of BBQ sauce before baking it in the oven for a melty and gooey bite that’s full of flavor!
- Grilled Cheese Sandwiches – start off by spreading some BBQ sauce onto one side of each piece of bread; then add your slices of brie and gently press the sandwich together before grilling it up on both sides until golden brown and melted.
- Pizza Topping – spread some BBQ sauce over pre-made pizza dough or homemade crust, top it with slices of brie cheese, sprinkle over some other toppings like red onion or roasted peppers, then bake in the oven for 10 minutes or so until the cheese is melted and golden brown.
5. Pepper Jack
If you prefer a little kick in your cheese, then pepper jack is perfect for you.
Its semi-soft texture and spicy flavor make it a great addition to any meal.
The sweet peppers, rosemary, habañero chilies, garlic and jalapeños give the cheese an extra layer of deliciousness that can’t be beaten.
When pairing with BBQ sauce, there are lots of creative ways to enjoy this cheese.
Here are three ideas:
- Create a unique grilled cheese sandwich by layering pepper jack between two slices of bread and topping with BBQ sauce before grilling;
- Stuff some peppers with pepper jack and top them off with BBQ sauce before roasting;
- Shred the pepper jack over tacos or burritos along with other toppings like lettuce, tomatoes and onions – don’t forget the BBQ sauce!
Feta is more than just a cheese that you put on top of salads.
It’s an incredibly versatile ingredient with a unique flavor and texture that pairs well with many different dishes.
When it comes to pairing feta with BBQ sauce, here are three creative ideas:
- Create a Mediterranean-style pizza by topping the dough with BBQ sauce, feta crumbles, olives, mushrooms and red onions.
- Make a delicious wrap using feta cheese as the main ingredient along with grilled vegetables and your favorite kind of BBQ sauce.
- Prepare an appetizer platter featuring assorted crackers and crostini spread with pesto or hummus then topped with melted feta and drizzled in tangy barbecue sauce. Delicious!
7. Blue cheese
Feeling a little adventurous?
Try pairing blue cheese with your favorite BBQ sauce for a unique and flavorful combination.
Blue cheese can stand up to bold flavors like those found in BBQ sauces, creating an interesting mix of sweet, salty, and tangy notes.
Here are three creative ways to pair blue cheese with BBQ sauce:
- Make a slaw by combining shredded cabbage, chopped parsley, and diced red onion with your favorite BBQ sauce then sprinkle crumbled blue cheese over the top just before serving.
- Create an easy dip by stirring together plain yogurt or sour cream with your preferred barbecue sauce. For extra flavor add some minced garlic and fresh herbs such as thyme or rosemary then top with crumbled blue cheese just before serving.
- Use it as a topping on burgers or sandwiches – spread some mayonnaise onto the bun first followed by the cooked patty or sliced meat of choice and finally drizzle some delicious barbecue sauce overtop. Finish off with plenty of crumbly blue cheese for that perfect bite!
Mozzarella is usually a safe option for any dish, as it has a mild flavor and creamy texture.
It’s also an incredibly versatile cheese that can be used in many different ways.
The most common pairing with mozzarella is BBQ sauce, but there are plenty of creative options to choose from as well.
Here are three creative pairings you can try with mozzarella and BBQ sauce:
- Grilled Mozzarella Sandwiches – Layer slices of fresh mozzarella between two pieces of crusty bread and drizzle with BBQ sauce before grilling on the stovetop or on the grill for a cheesy sandwich that packs a punch!
- Mozzarella Stuffed Meatballs – Mix ground beef, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, salt & pepper together in a bowl then stuff each ball with cubes of mozzarella cheese before coating them in your favorite BBQ sauce and baking until golden brown.
- Barbecue Pizza – Top pizza dough or pre-made crusts with barbecue sauce and top generously with slices of fresh mozzarella cheese. Bake and enjoy!
Super versatile, Gruyère cheese is perfect for pairing with BBQ sauce!
Here are three creative ways to pair this cheese and create an amazing flavor profile:
- Grilled Cheese Sandwiches – Toast some thick-cut bread, spread a generous layer of BBQ sauce on one side of the bread and Gruyere cheese on the other. Put them together in a hot pan or grill until the cheese melts and golden brown.
- Quesadillas – Spread BBQ sauce over a flour tortilla shell, then top with shredded Gruyere cheese, diced onion and peppers (jalapeño if you like it spicy!), and fold in half. Grill until both sides are golden brown and the inside is melted.
- Pizza Topping – Spread your favorite pizza dough out on a baking sheet or pizza stone, brush with BBQ sauce as usual, then sprinkle with shredded Gruyere cheese; bake according to the directions for your dough recipe until lightly golden brown and bubbly around the edges.
- What Cheese Goes with Chimichurri? (10 Tasty Cheeses)
- What Cheese Goes with Sloppy Joes? (10 Delicious Cheeses)
- What Cheese Goes with Strawberry Jam? (10 Tasty Cheeses)
- What Cheese Goes with Feta? (9 Tasty Cheeses)
- What Cheese Goes with Beef Stroganoff? (10 Tasty Cheeses)
- What Cheese Goes with Beets? (10 Delicious Cheeses)
- What Cheese Goes with Broccoli? (9 Tasty Cheeses)
- What Cheese Goes with Brussel Sprouts? (9 Tasty Cheeses)
What Cheese Goes with BBQ Sauce?
- Monterey Jack
- Pepper Jack
- Blue cheese
- Pick your favorite cheese from this collection to pair with your BBQ sauce.
- Prepare the rest of your tasty meal.
- Enjoy in no time!