Knowing what sauce to serve with fettuccine can be a challenge.
After all, there are so many delicious options to choose from.
To help you out, I’ve compiled a list of the 10 best sauces for fettuccine.
Whether you’re in the mood for something classic like Alfredo or looking for something new to try, this list has got you covered.
I’ve also included a few tips on how to make each sauce even better.
So, without further ado, let’s get started!
What Sauce Goes with Fettuccine?
Some of the best sauces to pair with fettuccine are Alfredo sauce, carbonara sauce, and tomato sauce. You can also try a creamy cheese sauce, pesto, or even a simple garlic and olive oil sauce.
Looking for more ideas?
Then keep scrolling!
Here are 10 sauces that go with fettuccine:
1. Pesto Sauce
Pesto sauce is amazing, especially basil pesto sauce.
It’s so fragrant and flavorful, and it goes great with fettuccine pasta.
You can make the sauce even better by roasting the garlic before adding it to the blender, and also by using good quality olive oil.
2. Italian Tomato Sauce
I love an authentic Italian tomato sauce with my fettuccine.
This classic sauce is made with fresh tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, and basil.
It’s simple but so flavorful and pairs perfectly with the pasta.
To make the sauce even better, add some pancetta or sausage to it.
You can also switch up the herbs you use. I like to add oregano or thyme for an extra depth of flavor.
3. Alfredo Sauce
Perhaps you prefer something thick and creamy like an Alfredo sauce with your fettuccine.
This classic sauce is made with butter, heavy cream, garlic and Parmesan cheese.
It’s rich and decadent, and a little goes a long way.
If you want to lighten up the sauce, you can use milk instead of cream.
You can also add in some extra flavorings like black pepper, red pepper flakes or parsley.
4. Roasted Garlic Parmesan Sauce
If you want to impress your family and friends with a home-cooked meal, then you can’t go wrong with fettuccine Alfredo.
This classic Italian dish is made with pasta, butter, cream, and Parmesan cheese.
But if you really want to take it up a notch, then you should try making roasted garlic Parmesan sauce.
It’s so easy to make and it adds an incredible depth of flavor to the dish.
- To make roasted garlic Parmesan sauce, simply roast some garlic cloves in the oven until they’re nice and soft.
- Then add them to a blender or food processor along with some butter, cream, Parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper.
- Blend everything together until it’s smooth and creamy.
You can even add a little bit of milk if you want to thin out the sauce.
If you want to really kick up the flavor of your roasted garlic Parmesan sauce, then try adding some sautéed mushrooms or sun-dried tomatoes.
You can also add some cooked chicken or shrimp to the sauce if you want to turn it into a main dish.
Just be sure to cook the pasta al dente so it doesn’t get too mushy.
5. Browned Butter Sauce
This sauce is super versatile, and goes great with pasta, fish, chicken, and vegetables. It’s also really easy to make!
- To start, melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Once the butter has melted, continue cooking until it becomes golden brown and has a nutty aroma.
- Then, add garlic and cook for a minute more.
- Finally, whisk in some lemon juice and you’re done!
If you want to take this sauce to the next level, try adding some chopped fresh herbs like parsley or thyme.
You could also stir in some grated Parmesan cheese at the end.
6. Marinara Sauce
Why not add some beautiful color to your pasta dish with a simple Marinara Sauce?
This sauce is made with tomatoes, garlic, and onions, and can be spiced up with red pepper flakes, oregano, and basil.
You can also add some white wine to the sauce for an extra zing.
Here are some easy ways to make your Marinara Sauce even better:
- Add some sautéed mushrooms to the sauce for a earthy flavor.
- If you like your sauce a little bit sweeter, you can add a tablespoon or two of sugar.
- For a creamier sauce, stir in some heavy cream or half and half at the end.
7. Creamy Mushroom Sauce
Any creamy sauce is always going to be delicious with fettuccine, but this creamy mushroom sauce is next level.
It’s made with a blend of mushrooms, shallots, garlic, and thyme, and it’s finished off with a touch of cream and Parmesan cheese.
The result is a rich and earthy sauce that pairs perfectly with the wide noodles of fettuccine.
To make this sauce even better, try adding a splash of white wine or Marsala when you saute the mushrooms.
This will add another layer of flavor to the sauce.
You could also try stirring in some chopped fresh parsley or chives at the end for a pop of color and freshness.
8. Lemon Garlic Cream Sauce
Garlicky and lemony, this cream sauce is the perfect topping for your fettuccine.
And it’s so easy to make!
- Simply sauté some garlic in butter, then whisk in some heavy cream and lemon juice.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
For an extra boost of flavor, you can add a pinch of red pepper flakes or a dollop of pesto.
9. Easy Sundried Tomato Pesto
If basil pesto isn’t what you’re looking for, try this sundried tomato pesto recipe.
It’s easy to make and can be used as a sauce or spread.
- 1/2 cup oil-packed sundried tomatoes, drained
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Place the sundried tomatoes in a food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped.
- Add the Parmesan cheese, olive oil, parsley, oregano, thyme, garlic, salt, and pepper; pulse until well blended.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as necessary.
- Use immediately or store in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
10. Arugula Basil Pesto with Pecans
This might just be one of my favorite pesto recipes on the blog!
I love the combination of arugula and basil, and adding pecans to the mix gives it a lovely depth of flavor.
If you’re looking for ways to make this pesto even better, try roasting the garlic before adding it to the food processor.
You could also add in some Parmesan cheese, or use half olive oil and half avocado oil for a creamier pesto.
What Sauce Goes with Fettuccine? (10 Best Sauces)
- Pesto Sauce
- Italian Tomato Sauce
- Alfredo Sauce
- Roasted Garlic Parmesan Sauce
- Browned Butter Sauce
- Marinara Sauce
- Creamy Mushroom Sauce
- Lemon Garlic Cream Sauce
- Easy Sundried Tomato Pesto
- Arugula Basil Pesto with Pecans
- Pick any of the sauces presented in this article to serve with your fettuccine pasta dish.
- Prepare the ingredients according to the recipe.
- Enjoy in no time!