When you combine sweet potatoes with pasta, you get a winning combination of flavors and nutrition.
But what really takes this dish to the next level is a delicious sauce.
Here are 10 amazing sauces for sweet potato pasta that will have you coming back for seconds…and thirds!
What Sauce Goes with Sweet Potato Pasta?
Some of the best sauces to pair with sweet potato pasta are those that are creamy and flavorful, such as Alfredo sauce, carbonara sauce, or even a simple garlic butter sauce. You could also go for a lighter option like a tomato-based sauce or a pesto sauce.
But why should you even bother with a sauce when you’re eating sweet potato pasta?
Here are three reasons:
- To Up The Ante On Flavor: While this dish is tasty on its own, they can be a little bland. A flavorful sauce helps to round out the dish and make it more interesting.
- To Add Nutritional Value: Sauces made with healthy ingredients can add vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants to your meal. This is especially important if you’re eating a plant-based diet.
- To Make It More Satisfying: A hearty sauce will help to fill you up and make you feel more satisfied after eating.
With that said, here are 10 sauces that go with sweet potato pasta:
1. Alfredo Sauce
Alfredo sauce is for those who prefer a rich, creamy pasta sauce without the addition of tomato.
It’s traditionally made with butter, heavy cream, Parmesan cheese, and garlic, but there are variations that include other cheeses like Pecorino Romano or Gruyere.
I like to add a little bit of cayenne pepper for a bit of heat.
You can also use this sauce on chicken or fish.
Pro Tip: If you want to lighten up the Alfredo sauce, you can use half milk and half cream, or even just milk.
I also like to add a little bit of sour cream at the end for extra creaminess.
2. Tomato Sauce
Your sweet potato pasta dish will be even more delicious and nutritious when you top it with this flavorful tomato sauce.
This sauce is easy to make and can be customized to your liking.
- To make the sauce, simply sauté some garlic in olive oil, then add in a can of diced tomatoes (I like to use fire-roasted tomatoes for an extra bit of flavor).
- Season the sauce with salt, pepper, and any other herbs or spices you like. I usually add a bit of crushed red pepper flakes for a little heat.
- Once the sauce is finished, simply toss it with your cooked sweet potato pasta and serve.
Pro Tip: If you want a creamier sauce, you can add in some heavy cream or half and half along with the diced tomatoes.
3. Pesto Sauce
Whether you go for basil pesto, sun-dried tomato pesto, or something in between, there’s no doubt that pesto sauce is delicious.
And when you pair it with sweet potato pasta, you get a winning combination of flavors and nutrition.
Sweet potatoes are a great source of vitamins, while pasta is a good source of complex carbohydrates.
This dish makes a great meal for any time of day.
To make the pesto sauce, simply combine all of the ingredients in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth.
- If you want to add some extra flavor, try adding in some freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
- For a thinner consistency, add in some additional olive oil.
- And for a spicier sauce, add in some red pepper flakes.
Pro Tip: If you’re not serving the pasta right away, toss the cooked noodles with a little bit of olive oil to prevent them from sticking together.
4. Basic Cheese Sauce
I’ve been a cheese lover for as long as I can remember, and there’s nothing I love more than a good cheese sauce.
This recipe is my go-to when I’m looking for a quick and easy way to dress up sweet potato pasta.
The sauce is made with just a few simple ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry, and it can be easily customized to suit your taste.
- For a richer sauce, you can add extra cheese or cream.
- If you’re looking for a bit of spice, try adding some red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper.
- And if you want to make it a complete meal, just add some cooked chicken or shrimp.
Pro Tip: When making the sauce, be sure to slowly whisk in the milk so that it doesn’t get lumpy.
And if you find that the sauce is too thick, simply add more milk until it reaches the desired consistency.
5. Garlic Butter Sauce
Garlicky and buttery – what’s not to love about this classic sauce?
This is a great way to add some extra flavor to your sweet potato pasta, and it’s also really easy to customize.
If you want a little more richness, you can add some cream or Parmesan cheese.
If you’re looking for something a bit lighter, you can swap out the butter for olive oil.
And if you want a bit of a kick, you can add in some red pepper flakes.
No matter what way you make it, this sauce is sure to please.
Pro Tip: One of the best things about this sauce is that it’s really versatile.
You can use it on just about any type of pasta, and it’s also great on chicken or fish.
6. Quick Parmesan Cream Sauce
I know you love parmesan (right? who doesn’t?), but this sauce is so much more than that.
It’s got a little bit of sweetness from the sweet potatoes, a little bit of creaminess from the cream cheese, and a nice zing from the lemon juice.
Also, it’s really quick and easy to make.
You can also customize it to your liking by adding in some other herbs or spices.
I like to add a little bit of crushed red pepper flakes for some heat, but you could also add in some sage or thyme for a more savory flavor.
Pro Tip: If you want a really smooth sauce, make sure to use a food processor or blender to puree the sweet potatoes before adding them to the pan.
7. Bolognese Sauce
Why not make sure that nobody at the table is left out by making a Bolognese sauce that everyone can enjoy?
This delicious and hearty sauce is perfect for sweet potato pasta, and can be easily customized to be vegan, vegetarian, or meat-based.
- For the base of the sauce, I like to use a soffritto of onions, carrots, and celery.
- Then, I add in my protein of choice (ground beef, ground pork, crumbled tofu, etc.), some tomato paste, red wine, crushed tomatoes, and a variety of spices.
- I let the sauce simmer for at least an hour so all the flavors have a chance to meld together.
Pro Tip: If you want a really smooth sauce, you can use an immersion blender to blend it up before serving.
8. Sun-Dried Tomato Cream Sauce
You’re going to impress everybody at your next dinner party when you serve this unique and flavorful combination of sweet potatoes and pasta.
The sweetness of the potatoes is a perfect complement to the savory sun-dried tomato cream sauce.
And, since both sweet potatoes and pasta are packed with nutrients, this dish is not only delicious but also good for you.
- To make the sauce, simply combine sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, chicken broth, heavy cream, and Parmesan cheese in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- Then, cook the sauce in a skillet over medium heat until it thickens.
You can customize the sauce by adding additional herbs or spices to taste.
Pro Tip: If you want a really rich and creamy sauce, substitute half of the chicken broth with milk.
9. Marinara Sauce
This sauce has been around the block a few times, but it really is the perfect sauce for sweet potato pasta.
I like to use a jarred marinara sauce, but you can easily make your own.
If you want to add a little more sweetness to the dish, try roasting the sweet potatoes before adding them to the pasta.
This will give them a slight caramelization that pairs perfectly with the acidity of the tomato sauce.
If you’re feeling adventurous, try adding some chopped kale or spinach to the sauce.
The bitterness of the greens complements the sweetness of the potatoes and makes for a well-rounded dish.
Pro Tip: Use jarred marinara sauce to save time, but feel free to make your own if you have the time and inclination.
10. 5-Minute Chili Garlic Sauce
Lastly, if you’re in a hurry, you can make a 5-minute chili garlic sauce to top your sweet potato pasta.
This sauce is really easy to make and only requires a few ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry.
All you need is some chili garlic paste, olive oil, honey, and salt.
Simply combine all the ingredients in a small bowl and whisk until combined.
The sauce will be thick and slightly sticky, but that’s what you want.
You can adjust the amount of chili garlic paste to your liking, but I find that 2 tablespoons is the perfect amount for me.
And if you want a little heat, add a pinch of cayenne pepper to the mix.
Pro Tip: If you’re not sure how much chili garlic paste to use, start with 1 tablespoon and then add more to taste.
What Sauce Goes with Sweet Potato Pasta? (10 Easy Sauces)
- Alfredo Sauce
- Tomato Sauce
- Pesto Sauce
- Basic Cheese Sauce
- Garlic Butter Sauce
- Quick Parmesan Cream Sauce
- Bolognese Sauce
- Sun-Dried Tomato Cream Sauce
- Marinara Sauce
- 5-Minute Chili Garlic Sauce
- Choose any of these sauces to pair with your sweet potato pasta recipe.
- Prepare the ingredients according to the recipe.
- Enjoy in no time!