Knowing what to eat with pumpernickel bread can be tricky – it’s so strong and distinct that some flavors don’t complement it as well as you’d think.
That’s why I’ve put together this list of delicious 10 ideas that pair perfectly with the earthy, nutty notes of pumpernickel bread.
Prepare your taste buds for recipes like smoked salmon pinwheels and herbed cream cheese spread – they won’t be disappointed!
If you’re looking to recreate restaurant-style dishes at home, then look no further; this list will give you plenty of inspiration to come up with all sorts of original creations.
Enjoy your meal!
What to Eat with Pumpernickel Bread
1. Pumpernickel Bread with Prosciutto, Fig Jam and Arugula
Why not try pumpernickel bread with prosciutto, fig jam and arugula for a unique and delicious flavor combination?
Pumpernickel bread is a dark, German-style rye bread that’s hearty and slightly sweet.
It pairs perfectly with salty prosciutto, the sweetness of fig jam, and peppery arugula.
To make it even better, you can add some creamy goat cheese to the mix! Just spread some on top of the sandwich before adding your other ingredients – it adds an extra level of creaminess that will take this sandwich to the next level.
It’s also great served open-faced; just layer up all your ingredients on one slice of pumpernickel bread instead!
You could even switch out the prosciutto for smoked salmon or turkey slices if you prefer them.
2. Pumpernickel Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Brie and Apples
What’s more delicious than a classic grilled cheese sandwich?
How about one made with pumpernickel bread and brie cheese, topped with thinly-sliced apples for extra sweetness?
This is the perfect combination of creamy, salty, and sweet. Enjoy it as an appetizer or a meal.
3. Pumpernickel French Toast with Cream Cheese and Orange Marmalade
When you combine the nutty flavor of pumpernickel bread with creamy cream cheese and tangy orange marmalade, it creates a delicious breakfast or brunch meal.
Pumpernickel French Toast is a great way to start your day off right!
You can serve this dish with fresh fruit, yogurt, or even bacon for an extra special treat.
4. Pumpernickel Bagel with Smoked Salmon, Cream Cheese, and Capers
When looking for ideas of what to eat with pumpernickel bread, one of the most classic dishes that come to mind is a classic Pumpernickel Bagel topped with smoked salmon, cream cheese and capers.
The smooth and creamy texture of the cream cheese paired with the salty pop from the capers complements the dense flavor of pumpernickel perfectly.
Pumpernickel works perfectly as an accompaniment for cold cuts like turkey or ham – simply add some sharp mustards or chutneys along with lettuce and tomatoes in between two slices of pumpernickel, and you’ve got yourself an instant lunch!
Don’t forget to add plenty of butter or oil before taking your first bite.
5. Pumpernickel Reuben Sandwich with Sauerkraut and Swiss Cheese
A classic sandwich using pumpernickel bread is the Reuben-style sandwich made with sauerkraut, Swiss cheese, thousand island or Russian dressing, and thin slices of corned beef.
The combination of flavors and the crunchy textures bring out the best in pumpernickel bread.
6. Pumpernickel Pizza with Mushrooms, Mozzarella and Arugula
Another one of my favorite ways to enjoy pumpernickel is as a pizza crust because its natural earthy flavor complements so many toppings.
For instance, a pumpernickel pizza with mushrooms, mozzarella cheese and arugula makes quite the delicious meal!
7. Pumpernickel Toast with Brie, Avocado and Red Onion
This delicious meal is one that can be put together in minutes and will satisfy your appetite.
- First, toast two slices of pumpernickel bread to your desired crispiness level.
- Then top with a wheel of brie cheese, along with half an avocado (sliced) and some thinly sliced red onion.
- Finally, lightly drizzle olive oil on top for added flavor.
- Serve warm.
Enjoy this tangy and delightful combination for lunch or dinner – it’s sure to please the palate!
8. Pumpernickel BLT with Bacon, Lettuce, Tomato, and Mayo
This meal is easy to make and delicious.
- Start by preparing the bacon on medium heat in a large skillet, flipping it after five minutes.
- Once done, drain excess grease off onto paper towels and set aside.
- Next, spread mayo over two slices of freshly-sliced pumpernickel bread.
- Layer with crisp lettuce and thinly sliced tomatoes.
- Use tongs or spatula to carefully place the cooked bacon strips on top of the tomato layer then assemble your sandwich.
- To finish, cut into rectangular quarter pieces for appetizers or triangles for sandwiches.
You can use an avocado instead of tomato if desired.
9. Pumpernickel with Roasted Vegetables, Herbed Cream Cheese and Fresh Dill
Pumpernickel with Roasted Vegetables, Herbed Cream Cheese and Fresh Dill is a great meal for dinner or lunch.
With the hearty grain of pumpernickel bread and the flavors from roasted vegetables and fresh herbs, you can make this nutritious dish in just 30 minutes.
- First, preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C).
- While it’s heating up, cut up some root vegetables such as potatoes, carrots, onions, etc. into small cubes or slices.
- Place all these chopped veggies on a baking sheet, season them with some olive oil and salt then bake them until they are golden brown (about 20 minutes).
- Meanwhile, spread herbed cream cheese onto pieces of toasted pumkinseed sourdough bread.
- When the vegetables are cooked through add them to the sandwiches too!
- Finally, top your creation off with a sprinkle of freshly minced dill leaves before serving.
10. Pumpernickel Focaccia with Caramelized Onions and Goat Cheese
Making a meal out of Pumpernickel Focaccia with Caramelized Onions and Goat Cheese requires some thoughtful planning.
- Begin by preheating your oven so that you can prepare the Focaccia bread.
- As directed on the package, mix together all of your ingredients – pumpernickel flour, salt, yeast, and warm water – in a mixing bowl until creamy.
- Grease another bowl before transferring the dough and let it rest for fifteen minutes to rise.
- While this is happening, it’s time to caramelize your onions.
- Start off by slicing them thin and heating some oil or butter in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onion slices then season them with salt before reducing their heat slightly to low-medium heat.
- Stir frequently until they become golden brown in color; this takes about 10-15 minutes depending on how you like them cooked – soft or crispy!
What dip goes with pumpernickel bread?
Pumpernickel bread goes great with a variety of dips, from sweet to savory. You can try a caramelized onion dip, herbed cream cheese spread, or hummus for something light and flavorful. For something more indulgent, go for pesto mayonnaise or honey mustard dip.
What cheese goes with pumpernickel bread?
Pumpernickel bread pairs well with a variety of cheeses, such as sharp cheddar, gouda, brie, and blue cheese. To add some sweetness to the flavor profile, try topping it with fig jam or honey. If you want something more savory, top it with smoked salmon and cream cheese.
What kind of sandwich do you make with pumpernickel bread?
Pumpernickel bread is perfect for making a variety of sandwiches. Try topping it with smoked salmon and cream cheese, or cucumber slices and hummus for a light lunch. For something more substantial, layer corned beef, sauerkraut, Swiss cheese and Thousand Island dressing on pumpernickel bread for an upgraded version of the classic Reuben sandwich.
What to Eat with Pumpernickel Bread
- Pumpernickel Bread with Prosciutto, Fig Jam and Arugula
- Pumpernickel Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Brie and Apples
- Pumpernickel French Toast with Cream Cheese and Orange Marmalade
- Pumpernickel Bagel with Smoked Salmon, Cream Cheese, and Capers
- Pumpernickel Reuben Sandwich with Sauerkraut and Swiss Cheese
- Pumpernickel Pizza with Mushrooms, Mozzarella and Arugula
- Pumpernickel Toast with Brie, Avocado and Red Onion
- Pumpernickel BLT with Bacon, Lettuce, Tomato, and Mayo
- Pumpernickel with Roasted Vegetables, Herbed Cream Cheese and Fresh Dill
- Pumpernickel Focaccia with Caramelized Onions and Goat Cheese
- Pick your favorite way to use Pumpernickel Bread from this list.
- Prepare the rest of your meal.
- Enjoy in no time!