Are you not sure what cheese goes with blackberries?
If so, then you’re in luck!
I’m here to provide you with 10 delicious cheeses that pair beautifully with this tart and juicy berry.
Blackberries can be used in a variety of recipes, from cakes to breakfast jams, or just eaten on their own.
But when you want something extra special, adding some cheese can really take the flavor of your meal up several notches.
Combining sweet and savory flavors is always a winning combination!
In this article, I will share ten of my favorite cheeses for pairing with blackberries – all of which are sure to impress.
So grab those berries and get ready for an excellent treat!
In a rush? Here is the short answer:
The best kinds of cheese to serve with blackberries are creamy blue cheeses, such as Gorgonzola or Stilton. Ricotta salata and goat cheese also pair nicely with the tart flavor of blackberries. For a more savory option, try sharp cheddar or Parmesan.
Let’s explore some other options!
10 Cheeses That Go Well with Blackberries
Nutty, fruity, buttery and earthy – brie is a creamy French cheese with an exquisite flavor.
With its mild and slightly sweet taste, it can be served in a variety of ways.
Here are some out-of-the-box ways to pair brie with blackberries:
- Create an appetizer platter by adding freshly cut slices of brie on top of crackers or crostini along with a dollop of blackberry jam for added sweetness
- Make a savory tart using puff pastry as the base and topping it off with thin slices of brie and fresh blackberries
- Serve up grilled cheese sandwiches filled with melted brie, fresh blackberries and honey for a unique twist on the classic sandwich
2. Goat Cheese
Why not try something a little different and pair your goat cheese with blackberries?
This combination adds a sweet, juicy flavor to the earthy tartness of the cheese.
Here are three unique ways you can enjoy this delicious pairing:
- Goat Cheese and Blackberry Crostinis: Toast some crusty baguette slices, spread them with soft goat cheese and top with fresh blackberries for a sophisticated yet simple appetizer or snack.
- Goats Cheese Salad With Balsamic Reduction: Serve up a salad of mixed greens topped with cubes of creamy goat cheese, fresh blackberries, sliced almonds and drizzled with balsamic reduction for an elegant yet easy side dish.
- Grilled Chevre With Honeyed Blackberries: For an indulgent dessert option, grill some rounds of chevre until lightly browned then top each one off with honeyed blackberries for a heavenly sweet treat!
If you’re feeling adventurous, Roquefort cheese is a great choice for pairing with blackberries.
It has a tingly pungent taste, a distinct bouquet, and a flavor that combines the sweet burnt-caramel taste of sheep’s milk with the sharp, metallic tang of the blue mold.
Here are three creative ways to pair this cheese with blackberries:
- Make an appetizer by combining chunks of Roquefort and blackberries on top of crostini or crackers. Drizzle some honey over it for extra sweetness.
- Create a savory yet sweet sandwich by spreading Roquefort on slices of multigrain bread then topping it off with fresh blackberry slices and peppery arugula leaves.
- Prepare an easy but flavorful salad composed of spring greens, crumbled pieces of Roquefort, and juicy freshly picked berries tossed in olive oil and lemon juice dressing.
With so many delicious flavors, Gouda cheese is a great choice for pairing with blackberries.
Here are three out-of-the-box ways to pair this cheese and berry:
- Try making grilled cheese sandwiches with young gouda and fresh blackberries. The sweet notes of the cheese will bring out the sweetness in the berries while still allowing them to shine on their own.
- For an appetizer or snack, combine aged gouda and blackberries on crackers or toast points for a delightful combination of salty, creamy, and sweet flavors that everyone will love!
- Craving something more indulgent? Create an amazing dessert by baking slices of aged gouda into puff pastry along with some fresh blackberries for a decadent treat!
I’m sure you are familiar with the creamy, velvety texture of mascarpone cheese.
It has a subtle sweetness and hints of acidity that pair well with a variety of other flavors.
When pairing blackberries with mascarpone, there are some out-of-the-box options to consider.
Here are three ideas:
- Use them as a topping for French toast or pancakes – The sweet tartness from the blackberries pairs perfectly with the creaminess from the mascarpone cheese.
- Create an appetizer by layering thin slices of fresh baguette with mascarpone and blackberry preserves – This easy combination will be sure to please your taste buds!
- Make a cheesecake mousse using both ingredients – Blend together equal parts mascarpone and heavy cream until it reaches a light and fluffy consistency before adding in your desired amount of blackberry puree to create a delicious treat!
A safe option for those trying ricotta for the first time, this cheese has a mild and slightly nutty flavor that pairs well with both sweet and savory dishes.
Its thick and creamy texture is punctuated by tiny granules throughout, adding a pleasant textural contrast to any dish.
Ricotta works especially well when paired with blackberries due to their complementary sweetness.
Below are three unique ways to enjoy this delicious combination:
- Ricotta Toast With Honeyed Blackberries – Spread fresh or frozen blackberries onto lightly toasted slices of bread and top them with a generous dollop of ricotta cheese. Drizzle honey over the top for an extra touch of sweetness.
- Ricotta Pancakes With Fresh Blackberry Compote – Top fluffy ricotta pancakes (or your favorite pancake recipe) with a warm compote made from fresh or frozen blackberries, sugar, water, lemon juice, and cinnamon sticks simmered together until thickened.
- Baked Ricotta Tart With Blackberry Filling – Create an elegant tart filled with creamy baked ricotta and topped with a tart blackberry filling. Serve with a dollop of whipped cream for a sweet and savory treat.
7. Blue Cheese
Do you dare to try blue cheese?
With its distinctively pungent flavor, it can be an acquired taste for some.
However, if you love strong flavors and creamy textures, then this is the cheese for you.
This cheese pairs well with sweet fruits such as blackberries.
Here are a few unique ways to enjoy this combination:
- Make a savory tart by combining crumbled blue cheese and fresh blackberries into a buttery pastry crust. Top with rosemary or thyme for extra flavor!
- Get creative with your salads and top them off with a combination of crumbled blue cheese and blackberries – the sweetness of the fruit will balance out the sharpness of the cheese perfectly!
- Make simple yet delicious crostinis by spreading cream cheese over slices of baguette before topping them off with fresh blackberry halves and crumbles of blue cheese.
Not too overpowering, Feta cheese has a distinct tangy and slightly salty flavor to it.
It’s made with sheep or goat milk and is aged for a few months or even years, which gives it its unique “peppery” taste.
When paired with sweet blackberries, the tanginess of the feta cheese really stands out and complements the tartness of the fruit.
Here are three unique ways you can use feta cheese together with blackberries:
- Create a salad featuring both ingredients – simply mix some arugula, sliced red onions, crumbled feta cheese and fresh blackberries in a bowl for an easy yet delicious lunch or dinner option!
- Add some pizzazz to your morning oatmeal by topping it off with a dollop of Greek yogurt mixed with crushed blackberries and crumbled feta cheese – this is sure to give your day an extra boost!
- Make some homemade flatbreads topped off with melted feta cheese and freshly diced blackberries-this simple snack will be sure to hit the spot!
Have you tried Havarti cheese?
This semi-hard cheese has a springy texture with subtle sweet and acidic notes.
It’s an incredibly versatile cheese that pairs well with many fruits and vegetables, making it perfect for creating unique pairings.
Here are three delicious ways to enjoy Havarti with blackberries:
- Serve slices of Havarti on crackers or bread topped with fresh blackberries, a drizzle of honey, and some cracked pepper for a simple appetizer that combines savory and sweet flavors in one bite.
- Use both the Havarti and blackberry combination in an omelet or frittata for breakfast or brunch – it’s sure to please your guests!
- Make grilled sandwiches using thick slices of bread, creamy Havarti cheese, fresh blackberries (or use cooked ones if they’re not in season), butter or olive oil spread over the edges of the bread before grilling until golden brown and gooey inside.
Rich yet mild, Gruyère is a semi-hard cheese with a smooth texture and nutty finish.
It pairs well with sweet, acidic foods like blackberries to offset its saltiness.
Here are three unique ways you can pair this cheese with blackberries:
- Use it as an appetizer by making Gruyère and Blackberry Crostini – To make these delicious bites, simply toast slices of baguette until golden brown. Top each slice with a spoonful of melted Gruyère cheese and top that off with some fresh blackberries for sweetness!
- Make a Grilled Cheese Sandwich – Start by spreading butter on one side of two pieces of bread. Layer one piece of bread with the Gruyere and add sliced or whole blackberries on top before adding the second piece of bread to form the sandwich. Grill in a skillet over medium heat until crisp and golden brown!
- Try it in Salad – Make a simple salad using mixed greens, diced red onion, chopped walnuts, crumbled bacon bits (optional), and olive oil & balsamic vinegar for the dressing. Top it off with crumbled Gruyere and fresh blackberries for a flavorful and unique salad.
- What Cheese Goes with Raspberries? (10 Delicious Cheeses)
- What Cheese Goes with Vodka Sauce? (10 Tasty Cheeses)
- What Cheese Goes with BBQ Sauce? (9 Amazing Cheeses)
- What Cheese Goes with Chimichurri? (10 Tasty Cheeses)
- What Cheese Goes with Sloppy Joes? (10 Delicious Cheeses)
- What Cheese Goes with Strawberry Jam? (10 Tasty Cheeses)
- What Cheese Goes with Feta? (9 Tasty Cheeses)
- What Cheese Goes with Beef Stroganoff? (10 Tasty Cheeses)
What Cheese Goes with Blackberries?
- Goat Cheese
- Blue Cheese
- Pick your favorite type of cheese from this list to pair with your berries.
- Prepare the rest of your tasty snack.
- Enjoy in no time!