What to serve with merguez sausage?
Look no further!
In this article, I will be sharing 15 delicious side dishes that are perfect for complementing your merguez sausage meal.
From hearty grains to vibrant salads, there’s something for everyone to enjoy.
Whether you’re planning a casual dinner with friends or a special family gathering, these side dishes are sure to elevate your meal to the next level.
So, let’s dive in and discover the perfect accompaniments for your merguez sausage feast!
What To Serve With Merguez Sausage – 15 Best Sides
Merguez sausage is a spicy and flavorful sausage that originates from North Africa.
It is made with lamb or beef and a blend of spices, including cumin, coriander, and chili flakes.
Merguez sausage is a versatile protein that can be served in many ways.
Below are 15 of the best sides to serve with merguez sausage:
1. Sautéed Peppers and Onions
Sautéed peppers and onions are a classic side dish that pairs well with merguez sausage. The combination of sweet peppers and onions with the spicy sausage creates a perfect balance of flavors.
2. Grilled Vegetables
Grilled vegetables are a healthy and delicious side dish that complements the rich flavor of merguez sausage. Zucchini, eggplant, and bell peppers are great choices for grilling.
3. Couscous Salad
Couscous salad is a light and refreshing side dish that goes well with merguez sausage. It is made with couscous, chopped vegetables, and a simple dressing of olive oil and lemon juice.
4. Roasted Potatoes
Roasted potatoes are a hearty and satisfying side dish that pairs well with merguez sausage. Cut the potatoes into small pieces and roast them with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
5. Tomato Salad
Tomato salad is a simple and refreshing side dish that complements the spicy flavor of merguez sausage. Slice ripe tomatoes and dress them with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
6. Grilled Corn
Grilled corn is a sweet and smoky side dish that pairs well with merguez sausage. Brush corn with olive oil and grill until charred.
Ratatouille is a classic French dish made with eggplant, zucchini, bell peppers, and tomatoes. It is a hearty and flavorful side dish that goes well with merguez sausage.
8. Tabouli Salad
Tabouli salad is a traditional Middle Eastern dish made with bulgur wheat, parsley, and tomatoes. It is a light and refreshing side dish that pairs well with merguez sausage.
9. Fennel Salad
Fennel salad is a crunchy and refreshing side dish that complements the spicy flavor of merguez sausage. Thinly slice fennel and dress it with olive oil, lemon juice, and salt.
10. Grilled Halloumi
Grilled halloumi is a salty and savory side dish that pairs well with merguez sausage. Slice halloumi cheese and grill until golden brown.
11. Green Salad
A simple green salad is a refreshing side dish that complements the rich flavor of merguez sausage. Use a mix of greens, such as arugula, lettuce, and spinach.
12. Baba Ghanoush
Baba ghanoush is a creamy and flavorful dip made with roasted eggplant, tahini, and lemon juice. It is a perfect side dish to serve with merguez sausage.
13. Harissa Roasted Carrots
Harissa roasted carrots are a spicy and sweet side dish that pairs well with merguez sausage. Toss carrots with harissa paste and roast until tender.
14. Quinoa Salad
Quinoa salad is a healthy and filling side dish that complements the spicy flavor of merguez sausage. Mix cooked quinoa with chopped vegetables and a simple dressing of olive oil and lemon juice.
15. Grilled Romaine Lettuce
Grilled romaine lettuce is a unique and flavorful side dish that pairs well with merguez sausage. Cut romaine lettuce in half and grill until charred. Drizzle with olive oil and lemon juice.
5 Tips For Choosing Your Side Dish
When it comes to serving Merguez sausage, choosing the right side dish is key. Here are my top 5 tips for selecting the perfect accompaniment:
- Consider the flavors: Merguez sausage has a distinct spicy flavor, so it’s important to choose a side dish that complements, rather than overpowers it. Opt for dishes with mild or complementary flavors, such as roasted vegetables or a simple salad.
- Think about texture: Merguez sausage is often quite dense and meaty, so it’s a good idea to choose a side dish with contrasting textures to provide balance. Consider dishes with a mix of crunchy and soft textures, such as grilled vegetables or a couscous salad.
- Don’t forget about color: Adding a pop of color to your plate can make all the difference. Choose side dishes with vibrant hues, such as roasted red peppers or a bright green salad, to make your meal more visually appealing.
- Keep it simple: While it can be tempting to go all out with elaborate side dishes, sometimes less is more. A simple side dish, such as a classic potato salad or a side of steamed vegetables, can be just as satisfying.
- Consider cultural pairings: Merguez sausage is a staple of North African cuisine, so choosing side dishes that also have roots in the region can be a great way to create a cohesive meal. Consider dishes such as couscous, tagine, or a chickpea salad to complement your Merguez sausage.