When it comes to pulled pork, the right cheese can take your sandwich to the next level.
Whether you prefer a classic cheddar or something more unique, there are plenty of cheese options that pair perfectly with tender, smoky pulled pork.
In this article, we’ll explore the 10 best cheeses for pulled pork, so you can take your sandwich game to new heights.
From creamy and tangy to sharp and nutty, the cheeses on our list offer a range of flavors and textures that complement pulled pork in different ways.
Whether you’re making a grilled cheese sandwich, topping off a loaded fry dish, or adding cheese to your pulled pork tacos, there’s a cheese on this list that will elevate your dish.
So, without further ado, let’s dive into the top 10 cheeses for pulled pork and discover how each one can enhance the flavor of this classic BBQ dish.
Why Cheese is a Great Addition to Pulled Pork
Adding cheese to pulled pork can take your sandwich to the next level. Here are a few reasons why cheese is a great addition:
- Cheese adds flavor: Cheese is a great way to add more flavor to your pulled pork sandwich. Different types of cheese can provide different flavors that complement the taste of the pulled pork.
- Cheese adds texture: Depending on the type of cheese, it can add a creamy, gooey or crunchy texture to your sandwich. This can make it more enjoyable to eat and provide a contrast to the softness of the pulled pork.
- Cheese is a good source of protein: Cheese is a good source of protein, which can help you feel fuller for longer. This can be especially helpful if you’re looking for a more substantial meal.
When it comes to choosing the right cheese for your pulled pork sandwich, there are a few things to keep in mind. First, you’ll want to choose a cheese that complements the flavor of the pulled pork. For example, if your pulled pork is sweet, you might want to choose a cheese that is more savory.
Second, you’ll want to choose a cheese that melts well. This will help ensure that the cheese is evenly distributed throughout the sandwich and doesn’t fall out when you take a bite. Some good melting cheeses include cheddar, mozzarella, and provolone.
Finally, you’ll want to consider the texture of the cheese. Some cheeses, like feta or Parmesan, won’t melt well, but can still be a great addition to your sandwich. These cheeses can provide a crumbly or salty texture that can add interest to your sandwich.
Choosing the Right Cheese
When it comes to pulled pork, choosing the right cheese is key to achieving the perfect balance of flavors. With so many options available, it can be overwhelming to decide which cheese to use. Here are some factors to consider when choosing the right cheese for your pulled pork:
- Flavor: The cheese should complement the flavor of the pulled pork without overpowering it. Cheeses with a mild or medium flavor, such as cheddar or Monterey Jack, work well with pulled pork.
- Texture: The texture of the cheese should be creamy and melty, without becoming greasy or stringy. Cheeses that melt easily, such as mozzarella or provolone, are great options.
- Appearance: The cheese should look appealing and appetizing on top of the pulled pork. Cheeses with a golden brown color, such as cheddar or Swiss, can add visual appeal to your dish.
Here are some of the best cheeses to use for pulled pork:
- Cheddar: Cheddar is a classic cheese that pairs well with pulled pork. It has a rich flavor and melts easily, making it a great choice for sandwiches and sliders.
- Monterey Jack: Monterey Jack is a mild cheese that melts smoothly and has a creamy texture. It’s a great choice for adding a subtle cheese flavor to your pulled pork.
- Mozzarella: Mozzarella is a versatile cheese that melts easily and has a mild flavor. It’s a great choice for adding a cheesy topping to your pulled pork.
- Provolone: Provolone is a semi-hard cheese with a mild flavor that melts easily. It’s a great choice for adding a cheesy flavor to your pulled pork without overpowering it.
- Swiss: Swiss cheese has a nutty flavor and melts easily, making it a great choice for adding a subtle cheese flavor to your pulled pork.
When choosing the right cheese for your pulled pork, it’s important to consider the flavor, texture, and appearance of the cheese. Cheddar, Monterey Jack, mozzarella, provolone, and Swiss are all great options that can add a delicious cheesy flavor to your pulled pork.
The Top 10 Cheeses for Pulled Pork
When it comes to pulled pork, cheese can be a delicious addition to the sandwich. Here are the top 10 cheeses that pair perfectly with pulled pork:
- Cheddar – A classic cheese that adds a sharp and tangy flavor to pulled pork.
- Pepper Jack – For those who like a little heat, pepper jack cheese adds a spicy kick to pulled pork.
- Swiss – This cheese adds a mild and nutty flavor to pulled pork.
- Provolone – A creamy and slightly sweet cheese that pairs well with the smoky flavor of pulled pork.
- Gouda – A rich and buttery cheese that complements the sweetness of pulled pork.
- Brie – A soft and creamy cheese that adds a luxurious texture to pulled pork.
- Blue Cheese – For those who like a strong and tangy flavor, blue cheese adds a bold taste to pulled pork.
- Monterey Jack – A mild and buttery cheese that melts perfectly on top of pulled pork.
- Colby – A mild and creamy cheese that adds a subtle flavor to pulled pork.
- Goat Cheese – A tangy and slightly sweet cheese that pairs well with the bold flavor of pulled pork.
Whether you like a sharp and tangy flavor or a creamy and buttery texture, there’s a cheese on this list that will take your pulled pork sandwich to the next level.
Cheddar cheese is a classic choice for pulled pork sandwiches. It has a tangy, sharp flavor that pairs well with the smoky, savory flavor of the pork. Cheddar cheese also has a firm texture that holds up well when melted, making it a great option for grilled or toasted sandwiches.
When choosing a cheddar cheese for your pulled pork sandwich, look for a sharp or extra sharp variety. These types of cheddar have a stronger flavor that can stand up to the bold taste of the pork. You can also experiment with different types of cheddar, such as smoked or aged varieties, to add extra depth and complexity to your sandwich.
To take your pulled pork sandwich to the next level, try adding other toppings that pair well with cheddar cheese. Some great options include sliced apples or pears, caramelized onions, or a tangy barbecue sauce.
- Sharp or extra sharp cheddar has a strong flavor that pairs well with pulled pork
- Experiment with different types of cheddar, such as smoked or aged varieties
- Add toppings like sliced apples or pears, caramelized onions, or barbecue sauce to enhance the flavor of the cheese
Gouda cheese is a semi-hard cheese that originated in the Netherlands. It has a mild, nutty flavor and a creamy texture that melts beautifully, making it a great choice for grilled cheese sandwiches and other dishes that call for melted cheese.
When paired with pulled pork, Gouda cheese adds a rich and savory flavor that perfectly complements the sweet and tangy flavors of the BBQ sauce. Gouda also pairs well with pickled onions, which add a nice crunch and tanginess to the dish.
Some popular ways to use Gouda cheese with pulled pork include:
- Grilled cheese sandwiches with BBQ pulled pork and smoked Gouda
- Pulled pork and Gouda cheese fries
When selecting Gouda cheese for your pulled pork dishes, look for aged Gouda, which has a stronger and more complex flavor than younger Gouda. Beemster Gouda is a popular brand that is widely available in the United States and is a great choice for pulled pork dishes.
3. Pepper Jack
Pepper Jack cheese is a popular choice for pulled pork sandwiches. It has a mild, creamy flavor with a slight kick of heat from the added jalapeño peppers. The cheese’s unique flavor profile pairs well with the smoky and savory flavors of pulled pork.
Here are some ideas for incorporating Pepper Jack cheese into your pulled pork sandwich:
- Top your pulled pork with slices of Pepper Jack cheese and broil until melted and bubbly.
- Make a pulled pork grilled cheese sandwich with Pepper Jack cheese instead of the traditional cheddar.
- Add shredded Pepper Jack cheese to your pulled pork mac and cheese for an extra kick of flavor.
Pepper Jack cheese is also a versatile cheese that can be used in a variety of other dishes. Try it in quesadillas, tacos, or on top of a burger for a delicious twist on classic dishes.
4. Blue Cheese
Blue cheese is a bold and tangy cheese that can add a lot of flavor to your pulled pork sandwich. It is made by adding Penicillium cultures to the cheese, which creates a blue-green mold that gives it its distinctive flavor and appearance. Blue cheese is often crumbled and sprinkled on top of the pulled pork, where it melts and creates a creamy texture.
When choosing a blue cheese for your pulled pork sandwich, look for a cheese that is creamy and tangy, but not overly pungent. Some of the best blue cheeses for pulled pork include:
These blue cheeses have a creamy texture and a tangy, slightly salty flavor that pairs well with the rich, smoky flavor of pulled pork. They also have a strong enough flavor to stand up to the bold flavors of barbecue sauce and other toppings.
If you’re not a fan of blue cheese, you can also try using a milder cheese like feta or goat cheese. These cheeses have a similar tangy flavor, but are not as strong as blue cheese.
5. Smoked Gouda
Smoked Gouda is a semi-hard cheese that has a smoky flavor and a creamy texture. It is a perfect pairing for pulled pork sandwiches, adding a rich and smoky taste to the meat. The cheese has a buttery and nutty flavor that complements the sweetness of the pork.
Smoked Gouda is made by smoking regular Gouda cheese over wood chips, which gives it its distinctive smoky flavor. It is a versatile cheese that can be used in a variety of dishes, including grilled cheese sandwiches, mac and cheese, and even on top of fries.
When using Smoked Gouda on a pulled pork sandwich, it’s best to slice it thinly and melt it over the meat. This will allow the cheese to blend with the pork and create a delicious flavor combination.
Here are some other dishes that Smoked Gouda can be used in:
- Grilled cheese sandwiches
- Mac and cheese
Overall, Smoked Gouda is a great cheese to use on a pulled pork sandwich. Its smoky flavor and creamy texture make it a perfect complement to the sweetness of the pork. It is also a versatile cheese that can be used in a variety of dishes.
10 Best Cheeses for Pulled Pork
- Pepper Jack
- Blue Cheese
- Monterey Jack
- Goat Cheese
- Select your favorite cheese from this article.
- Organize all the required ingredients.
- Prep a delicious cheesy pulled pork recipe in 30 minutes or less!