When it comes to making the perfect turkey burger, there are a few key ingredients that can take it from good to great.
One of these ingredients is cheese – it can add a creamy, savory flavor that complements the turkey and brings the whole burger together.
But with so many types of cheese out there, it can be hard to know which one to choose.
That’s why we’ve done the research and taste-testing to find the best cheese for turkey burgers, along with 10 delicious alternatives.
So, whether you’re looking to switch up your usual cheese choice or want to try something new, we’ve got you covered.
Criteria for Selecting the Right Cheese for Turkey Burgers
- Melting Point: One important factor to consider when selecting a cheese for turkey burgers is its melting point. The cheese should be able to melt and become gooey without completely dripping off the burger. Cheeses with high moisture content and low melting points, such as fresh mozzarella or ricotta, may not be the best choice as they can make the burger too soggy. Cheeses with a lower moisture content, such as cheddar or gouda, are usually a better option as they melt well without making the burger too wet.
- Flavor: Another important consideration when selecting a cheese for turkey burgers is its flavor profile. The cheese should complement the flavor of the turkey and other toppings without overpowering them. Cheeses with strong or bold flavors, such as blue cheese or feta, can add an interesting twist to the burger but should be used in moderation to avoid overpowering the other flavors. Milder cheeses, such as Swiss or provolone, can add a subtle flavor that complements the turkey without competing with it.
- Texture: Finally, the texture of the cheese is also an important factor to consider. The cheese should add a creamy, soft texture to the burger. Cheeses that are too hard or crumbly, such as Parmesan or aged cheddar, may not be the best choice as they can make the burger too dry. Cheeses with a softer, creamier texture, such as brie or goat cheese, can add a luxurious creaminess to the burger and make it more enjoyable to eat.
By considering these factors when selecting a cheese for your turkey burger, you can ensure that it enhances the flavor and texture of the burger without overpowering it.
The Best Cheese for Turkey Burgers
After considering the above criteria, our top pick for the best cheese for turkey burgers is…smoked gouda!
This cheese has a smoky, nutty flavor that pairs well with the mild taste of turkey. It also has a smooth, creamy texture that melts beautifully on top of the burger.
Smoked gouda is a type of Dutch cheese that is made from cow’s milk. It is smoked over hickory chips, which gives it a distinct smoky flavor.
This flavor adds depth to the turkey burger without overwhelming it, making it a great choice for those who want to add some extra flavor to their burger without it being too strong.
Additionally, smoked gouda melts well and has a creamy texture that adds a richness to the burger.
10 Alternatives to the Best Cheese for Turkey Burgers
If you’re looking for some alternatives to smoked gouda, here are 10 other cheeses to consider:
- Cheddar Cheese: A tangy, sharp cheese that melts well and adds a nice contrast to the mild taste of turkey.
- Pepper Jack Cheese: A spicy cheese that adds a kick to turkey burgers and pairs well with other spicy toppings.
- Blue Cheese: A bold cheese with a distinct tangy flavor that adds a nice salty flavor to the burger.
- Feta Cheese: A crumbly cheese with a tangy, salty flavor that pairs well with Mediterranean-inspired toppings like olives and tzatziki sauce.
- Swiss Cheese: A mild, nutty cheese that melts well and adds a subtle flavor to the burger.
- Brie Cheese: A soft, creamy cheese that melts well and adds a rich, buttery flavor to the burger.
- Goat Cheese: A tangy cheese with a creamy texture that pairs well with sweet toppings like cranberry sauce or fig jam.
- Havarti Cheese: A creamy, mild cheese that melts well and adds a subtle buttery flavor to the burger.
- Provolone Cheese: A mild, nutty cheese that melts well and adds a subtle flavor to the burger.
- Gorgonzola Cheese: A pungent blue cheese with a strong, tangy flavor that adds a bold taste to the burger.
How to Incorporate Cheese into Turkey Burgers
Adding cheese to turkey burgers is easy, but there are a few tips and tricks to keep in mind to make sure you get the best results. Here are some ideas for how to incorporate cheese into your turkey burgers:
Tips for adding cheese to turkey burgers
- Add the cheese towards the end of cooking to make sure it melts properly without burning.
- Use a cheese with a lower moisture content to avoid making the burger too soggy.
- Experiment with different types of cheese to find your favorite flavor and texture combinations.
Ideas for different ways to add cheese to turkey burgers
- Add a slice of cheese on top of the burger patty before or after flipping it.
- Mix shredded cheese into the ground turkey before forming into patties.
- Stuff the burger patty with cheese for a delicious surprise inside.
Suggestions for cooking the cheese-topped turkey burgers
- Cover the burger with a lid or aluminum foil to help the cheese melt evenly.
- Use a grill or grill pan for a delicious charred flavor and crispy exterior.
- If you’re making a stuffed burger, make sure the cheese is completely enclosed inside the patty to avoid it melting out during cooking.
By following these tips and experimenting with different types of cheese and cooking methods, you can create a delicious and flavorful turkey burger that everyone will love.
In conclusion, cheese is a delicious and important ingredient to consider when making turkey burgers. Our top pick for the best cheese for turkey burgers is smoked gouda, but there are many other options to consider based on your personal preferences. From cheddar to gorgonzola, there are a variety of cheeses that can add different flavors and textures to your burger.
When incorporating cheese into your turkey burgers, keep in mind the tips for adding and cooking the cheese to ensure the best results. With some experimentation and creativity, you can create a delicious and unique turkey burger that is sure to impress.
So why not try something new and incorporate a different type of cheese into your next turkey burger? With so many options available, the possibilities are endless!
The Best Cheese for Turkey Burgers (+10 Alternatives)
- smoked gouda
- Pepper Jack
- Blue Cheese
- Swiss Cheese
- Goat Cheese
- Select your favorite cheese from this article.
- Organize all the required ingredients.
- Prep a delicious cheesy turkey burger in 30 minutes or less!