Are you looking for the perfect sauce for gammon steaks?
If so, you’ve come to the right place.
Gammon steaks make a delicious meal, but they can be enhanced even further with a flavorful sauce.
From creamy mustards and sharp vinegars to sweet chutneys and tangy salsas, there are plenty of options when it comes to sauces for gammon steaks.
In this article, I’ll share my top 13 choices that will take your meal from good to great!
The 13 Best Sauces for Gammon Steaks
Gammon steaks are a delicious and versatile dish, but they can benefit greatly from the right sauce.
Here are thirteen sauces that will perfectly complement gammon steaks and elevate your meal to the next level:
- What Does It Taste Like? Honey mustard sauce is a sweet and tangy condiment that combines the sweetness of honey with the sharpness of mustard. The combination creates a unique flavor that pairs well with gammon steaks, as well as other meats and vegetables.
- Common Uses: Honey mustard sauce is commonly used to dress up gammon steaks, but it can also be used on grilled chicken or fish, roasted vegetables, salads, sandwiches, and more.
- Ingredients: To make honey mustard sauce you will need Dijon mustard, mayonnaise, honey, garlic powder (optional), onion powder (optional), salt (optional) and pepper (optional).
- How To Make It: Making honey mustard sauce is easy! Simply mix together all ingredients in a bowl until combined. Taste and adjust seasoning if desired. Serve over your favorite dishes or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week.
- What Does It Taste Like? Whiskey BBQ sauce is a sweet and smoky sauce with a hint of whiskey. The sweetness comes from the brown sugar, while the smokiness comes from the smoked paprika and Worcestershire sauce. The whiskey adds an extra layer of flavor that complements the other ingredients perfectly.
- Common Uses: Whiskey BBQ sauce is great for adding flavor to gammon steaks, pork chops, ribs, chicken wings, burgers, and more. It can also be used as a marinade or dipping sauce for vegetables or chips.
- Ingredients: To make whiskey BBQ sauce you will need tomato paste, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, black pepper and whiskey.
- How To Make It: Begin by combining all of the ingredients in a medium-sized bowl until they are well combined. Then transfer the mixture to a small pot over medium heat and bring it to a simmer. Simmer for 10 minutes stirring occasionally until thickened then remove from heat and let cool before serving or storing in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week.
- What Does It Taste Like? Mushroom sauce is a savory, earthy sauce that pairs perfectly with gammon steaks. The mushrooms give the sauce a deep, umami flavor while the cream and butter add richness and depth.
- Common Uses: Mushroom sauce is commonly used to top grilled or pan-fried gammon steaks, but it can also be served over other proteins such as chicken or pork chops. It’s also delicious when served over roasted vegetables or mashed potatoes.
- Ingredients: To make mushroom sauce you will need butter, mushrooms (such as button mushrooms), garlic, white wine (or stock), heavy cream, parsley, salt and pepper.
- How To Make It: Begin by melting the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and cook until they are golden brown and tender. Add the garlic and cook for another minute before adding the white wine (or stock). Simmer until most of the liquid has evaporated then stir in the cream and season with salt and pepper to taste. Finally add chopped parsley for garnish if desired. Serve hot over your favorite protein or side dish!
- What Does It Taste Like? English parsley sauce is a creamy, buttery sauce with a mild flavor of parsley. The combination of butter and cream gives it a rich texture, while the addition of lemon juice adds a subtle tanginess to the dish.
- Common Uses: English parsley sauce is commonly served with gammon steaks, but can also be used as an accompaniment for other dishes such as fish or chicken. It can also be used as a dip for vegetables or chips.
- Ingredients: To make English parsley sauce you will need butter, flour, milk, fresh parsley leaves (chopped), salt and pepper to taste and freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- How To Make It: Begin by melting the butter in a pan over medium heat. Once melted add the flour and stir until combined into a paste-like consistency. Slowly add in the milk while stirring continuously until all ingredients are fully incorporated and there are no lumps left in the mixture. Add in chopped parsley leaves along with salt and pepper to taste then reduce heat to low-medium setting and simmer for 5 minutes stirring occasionally until thickened slightly. Finally add freshly squeezed lemon juice before serving warm alongside your favorite dish!
- What Does It Taste Like? Balsamic vinegar reduction sauce is a sweet and tangy condiment that pairs perfectly with gammon steaks. The balsamic vinegar adds a tartness to the dish, while the sugar helps to balance out the flavor. The result is a rich and flavorful sauce that complements any type of meat or vegetable.
- Common Uses: Balsamic vinegar reduction sauce can be used as a marinade for meats, as an accompaniment to grilled vegetables, or even as a topping for salads. It’s also great on sandwiches and burgers!
- Ingredients: To make this delicious balsamic vinegar reduction sauce you will need balsamic vinegar, sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, and olive oil.
- How To Make It: Begin by heating up some olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Once hot add in your garlic powder and onion powder and sauté until fragrant (about 1 minute). Next add in your balsamic vinegar and sugar then bring it to a boil before reducing the heat to low-medium so it simmers gently for about 10 minutes or until it has reduced by half its original volume. Finally season with black pepper before serving warm over your favorite dishes!
- What Does It Taste Like? Garlic butter sauce is a creamy, savory sauce that has a strong garlic flavor. The butter adds richness and depth to the sauce, while the garlic provides a pungent kick.
- Common Uses: Garlic butter sauce is commonly used as an accompaniment for gammon steaks, but it can also be used on other meats such as chicken or pork chops. It can also be served with vegetables like broccoli or cauliflower, or even over pasta dishes.
- Ingredients: To make garlic butter sauce you will need unsalted butter, minced garlic cloves, fresh parsley leaves (optional), salt and pepper to taste.
- How To Make It: Begin by melting the butter in a small pan over medium heat. Once melted add in the minced garlic and cook until fragrant (about 1 minute). Add in the parsley leaves if desired and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately over your favorite dish!
- What Does It Taste Like? Cranberry sauce is a tart and sweet condiment made from cranberries, sugar, and other ingredients. The flavor of the sauce can vary depending on the recipe used, but it typically has a tangy taste with hints of sweetness.
- Common Uses: Cranberry sauce is most commonly served as an accompaniment to gammon steaks or other pork dishes. It can also be used in desserts such as pies or tarts, or added to smoothies for a burst of flavor.
- Ingredients: To make cranberry sauce you will need fresh or frozen cranberries, sugar, water, orange juice (optional), and spices such as cinnamon and nutmeg (optional).
- How To Make It: Begin by combining the cranberries and sugar in a medium-sized pot over medium heat. Add the water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until the berries have softened and broken down into a thick sauce (about 10 minutes). If desired add orange juice for extra sweetness or spices for additional flavor. Serve warm or cold with your favorite gammon steak dish!
- What Does It Taste Like? Buffalo BBQ sauce is a unique blend of sweet and spicy flavors. The sweetness comes from the combination of brown sugar, honey, and molasses while the spiciness is provided by cayenne pepper and chili powder. The result is a tangy, smoky flavor that pairs perfectly with gammon steaks.
- Common Uses: Buffalo BBQ sauce can be used to marinate or baste gammon steaks before cooking, as well as for dipping after they are cooked. It also makes an excellent topping for burgers or sandwiches.
- Ingredients: To make buffalo BBQ sauce you will need tomato paste, apple cider vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, honey, molasses, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper and chili powder.
- How To Make It: Begin by combining all ingredients in a medium-sized bowl until smooth. Heat a small pot over medium heat and add the mixture to it. Simmer for 10 minutes stirring occasionally until thickened then remove from heat and let cool before using or storing in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
9. Hoisin Sauce
- What Does It Taste Like? Hoisin sauce is a thick, sweet-salty condiment made from fermented soybeans, garlic, chilies and other spices. It has a deep reddish-brown color and a rich flavor that is both sweet and salty with hints of garlic, ginger, and five-spice powder.
- Common Uses: Hoisin sauce is commonly used as a dipping sauce for dumplings or spring rolls in Chinese cuisine. It can also be used as an ingredient in marinades for meat dishes such as gammon steaks or stir fries.
- Ingredients: The main ingredients in hoisin sauce are fermented soybean paste (doubanjiang), sugar, vinegar, garlic, chili peppers and five-spice powder. Other ingredients may include sesame oil, oyster extract or molasses.
- How To Make It: Making your own hoisin sauce at home is easy! Simply combine all the ingredients together in a bowl until they form a smooth paste. Then transfer the mixture to an airtight container and store it in the refrigerator for up to two weeks. When ready to use it just add some water to thin out the consistency if needed before serving with your favorite dish!
10. Mint Sauce
- What Does It Taste Like? Mint sauce is a classic accompaniment to gammon steaks and other dishes. The combination of fresh mint leaves, vinegar, sugar, and salt creates a sweet-and-sour flavor that pairs perfectly with the savory flavors of the meat.
- Common Uses: Mint sauce is most commonly used as an accompaniment for gammon steaks or roasted lamb. It can also be served alongside grilled vegetables or added to salads for a refreshing twist.
- Ingredients: To make mint sauce you will need fresh mint leaves, white wine vinegar, sugar, and salt. You may also choose to add garlic or onion powder for extra flavor.
- How To Make It: Start by finely chopping the fresh mint leaves and adding them to a bowl along with the vinegar, sugar, and salt (and any additional ingredients). Stir until all of the ingredients are combined then let it sit for at least 30 minutes before serving so that the flavors have time to meld together. Serve chilled or at room temperature alongside your favorite dish!
11. Mango Chutney
- What Does It Taste Like? Mango chutney is a sweet and tangy condiment made from mangoes, sugar, vinegar, spices, and herbs. The combination of flavors creates a unique taste that is both sweet and savory. The sweetness comes from the mangoes while the tartness comes from the vinegar. The spices add an extra layer of flavor to the chutney that makes it irresistible.
- Common Uses: Mango chutney can be used as a condiment for many dishes such as curries, sandwiches, burgers, or even grilled meats like gammon steaks. It can also be served with cheese platters or crackers as an appetizer or snack.
- Ingredients: To make mango chutney you will need fresh mangos (or canned if necessary), white sugar, white wine vinegar, garlic cloves (minced), ginger root (grated), ground cumin seeds, ground coriander seeds, ground turmeric powder, mustard seeds (optional), red chili flakes (optional).
- How To Make It: Start by peeling and chopping your mangos into small cubes then place them in a large saucepan over medium heat with the sugar and vinegar. Simmer for about 10 minutes until the mixture starts to thicken then add in all of your spices and herbs along with some salt to taste. Continue simmering for another 15-20 minutes until thickened then remove from heat and let cool before serving alongside your favorite dish!
12. Salsa Verde
- What Does It Taste Like? Salsa verde is a bright, herby sauce that has a tangy flavor from the vinegar and capers. The parsley and mint give it an earthy freshness, while the anchovies add a salty depth of flavor.
- Common Uses: Salsa verde is traditionally served with boiled meats like gammon steaks or roast beef, but it can also be used as a condiment for sandwiches or as a dip for vegetables.
- Ingredients: To make salsa verde you will need flat-leaf parsley, mint leaves, garlic cloves, capers, anchovy fillets (optional), olive oil, white wine vinegar and salt to taste.
- How To Make It: Start by finely chopping the herbs and garlic in a food processor or blender until they are very fine. Add the capers and anchovies (if using) and pulse until everything is combined. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil while blending until you have reached your desired consistency. Finally stir in the white wine vinegar and season with salt to taste. Serve immediately over your favorite dish!
- What Does It Taste Like? Apple cider vinegar has a tart, acidic taste that is similar to white wine vinegar. It also has a subtle sweetness and fruity flavor from the apples used in its production.
- Common Uses: Apple cider vinegar is commonly used as an ingredient in salad dressings, marinades, sauces, and other recipes. It can also be used for pickling vegetables or making chutneys. Additionally, it can be added to water or tea for a refreshing drink with health benefits.
- Ingredients: To make apple cider vinegar you will need apples (preferably organic), sugar, yeast, and water. The apples are crushed into a pulp and mixed with the sugar and yeast before being left to ferment for several weeks until it turns into alcohol. This alcohol is then converted into acetic acid by bacteria which gives the vinegar its sour taste.
- How To Make It: Making your own apple cider vinegar at home is easy! Start by crushing up some apples (you can use any type of apple) until they form a pulp-like consistency. Add the pulp to a jar along with some sugar and yeast and mix together well before covering the jar with cheesecloth or muslin cloth secured tightly with an elastic band or string. Leave this mixture in a warm place for around two weeks while stirring occasionally until it starts to bubble – this means that fermentation has begun! Once bubbling stops after about two weeks strain out any solids using cheesecloth or muslin cloth before transferring your liquid into bottles or jars ready for storage in cool dark places such as cupboards away from direct sunlight where it will keep indefinitely if stored correctly!
In conclusion, gammon steaks are a delicious and versatile cut of meat that can be enjoyed with a variety of sauces.
The best sauces for gammon steaks include honey mustard sauce, whiskey sauce, mushroom sauce, parsley sauce, balsamic glaze, garlic butter sauce, cranberry sauce, barbecue sauce, hoisin sauce, mint sauce, and mango chutney.
These sauces all have unique flavors and textures that can compliment the gammon steak perfectly.
So go ahead and experiment with different sauces and find the one that best suits your taste!
The 13 Best Sauces for Gammon Steaks
- Honey Mustard Sauce
- Whiskey BBQ Sauce
- Mushroom Sauce
- English Parsley Sauce
- Balsamic Vinegar Reduction Sauce
- Garlic Butter Sauce
- Cranberry Sauce
- Buffalo BBQ Sauce
- Hoisin Sauce
- Mint Sauce
- Mango Chutney
- Salsa Verde
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Select your favorite sauce from this article.
- Organize and prepare all of the required ingredients.
- Prep a sauce in 25 minutes or less.