If you have a big pot of cabbage and potatoes and are wondering what kind of meat to add to it, then you are in the right place.
I’ve rounded up 8 of the best meats to serve with cabbage and potatoes.
So go ahead and give one (or all!) of these meats a try the next time you make cabbage and potatoes!
What Meat Goes with Cabbage and Potatoes?
The best kinds of meat to serve with cabbage and potatoes are ham, bacon, sausage, beef, and lamb. Other meats that go well with this dish include chicken, turkey, and duck.
While your pot of cabbage and potatoes might seem like a humble dish, there are a few things to consider when pairing it with meat.
Here are three factors to take into account:
- The Type of Potatoes You’re Using: If you’re using waxy potatoes like red potatoes or Yukon golds, they’ll hold their shape better when cooked and can stand up to heartier meats like steak or pork chops. If you’re using starchy potatoes like russets, on the other hand, they’ll break down more when cooked and pair well with delicate proteins like fish or chicken.
- The Type of Cabbage You’re Using: Green cabbage is the most versatile type of cabbage and pairs well with just about any protein. Red cabbage is slightly sweeter and pairs well with sweet or savory dishes alike. And Savoy cabbage has a more delicate flavor that pairs well with milder proteins or ones that have been cooked in a sweet sauce.
- How You’re Cooking Your Cabbage and Potatoes: If you’re boiling or steaming your cabbage and potatoes, they’ll be softer and pair well with just about any protein. If you’re roasting them, however, they’ll have more texture and pair best with heartier meats that can stand up to their flavor and chewiness.
With that said, here are 8 kinds of meat that go well with cabbage and potatoes:
There are many different kinds of sausage that go well with cabbage and potatoes.
I like to pair them together in a dish because they have complementary flavors and textures.
For example, you could try pairing smoked sausage with roasted potatoes and sauerkraut, or chorizo with mashed potatoes and braised cabbage.
Whatever combination you choose, you can’t go wrong!
Bacon is like an American staple at this point and it seems to go with everything.
But when you put bacon with cabbage and potatoes, you get a dish that is hearty, filling, and incredibly delicious.
Cabbage and potatoes are such common side dishes but they really come to life when bacon is added into the mix.
The key to making this dish work is to cook the bacon until it is nice and crispy.
You want the fat to render out so that it coats the cabbage and potatoes and gives them a nice flavor.
You also want to make sure that the cabbage is nicely wilted down so it isn’t too crunchy.
And finally, you want to give everything a good toss so that the flavors all meld together nicely.
Ham comes in many different forms and is a great option to pair with cabbage and potatoes.
You can use ham that is already cooked or you can cook it yourself.
If you are using cooked ham, simply add it into the dish towards the end so it can heat through.
If you are cooking the ham yourself, you can either pan fry it, bake it, or even grill it.
Once the ham is cooked, add it into the dish with the cabbage and potatoes.
Cabbage and potatoes are a classic pairing and adding in some ham will give the dish some extra flavor and protein.
Beef is great pretty much regardless of what you pair it with.
There are a few different ways that you can prepare this dish.
One way is to simply cook the beef and then top it with some sauteed cabbage and potatoes.
This is a very simple dish but it is also very hearty and filling.
Another way to prepare this dish is to make a stew with beef, cabbage, and potatoes.
This is a great option if you want something that is a little bit more substantial and will really stick to your ribs.
If you are looking for something that is a little bit lighter, you could also try grilling or smoking the beef and then serving it with some roasted cabbage and potatoes.
Lamb is has a grassy and well-balanced flavor that goes great with the earthiness of cabbage and potatoes.
One particular way to pair lamb with cabbage and potatoes is by roasting them all together in the oven.
You can first brown the lamb in a pan on the stovetop, then add in some chopped cabbage and potatoes before transferring everything to a baking dish and roasting until tender.
This dish is comforting and filling, making it perfect for a winter meal.
Another way to pair these ingredients is by making a stew.
Once again, you would start by browning the lamb in a pan on the stovetop before adding in chopped cabbage, potatoes, and your favorite stewing vegetables like carrots, celery, and onion.
Then, cover everything with broth or water and let it simmer until the vegetables are cooked through.
This makes for a hearty meal that is perfect for a cold day.
Chicken is a meat that anybody can enjoy.
It’s simple to cook, versatile in flavor, and goes great with a number of different side dishes – like cabbage and potatoes.
This particular dish is hearty and filling, making it a great winter meal.
And while chicken is the perfect protein to pair with it, there are a few things you can do to make this dish even more delicious.
- First, try marinating your chicken in some garlic and herb dressing overnight. This will add tons of flavor to the meat and make it even more tender.
- Then, when you’re ready to cook, roast your chicken in the oven until it’s nice and crispy on the outside but juicy on the inside.
- Serve it all up with some boiled or mashed potatoes and steamed cabbage on the side – yum!
Turkey is a safe bet when it comes to finding a meat that pairs well with cabbage and potatoes.
The turkey can be cooked in a variety of ways but I recommend either roasting or slow-cooking the turkey to really bring out its natural flavors.
When slow cooking, you can also add in some additional spices like rosemary or thyme to really give the dish an extra flavor boost.
If you’re looking for a bit more of a crunch, you can also try frying up the turkey before adding it to the cabbage and potatoes.
Duck has a rich, gamey flavor that pairs well with hearty dishes like cabbage and potatoes.
One way to pair duck with cabbage and potatoes is to roast the duck and vegetables together.
- First, preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Then, season your duck breasts with salt, pepper, and any other desired spices.
- Next, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and sear the duck breasts until they are golden brown on both sides.
- Then, add in chopped cabbage and diced potatoes to the skillet and toss everything together so that it is evenly mixed.
- Finally, transfer the contents of the skillet to a baking dish and roast everything in the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the duck is cooked through.
What Meat Goes with Cabbage and Potatoes? (8 Best Meats)
- Pick any of the meats presented in this post to serve with your cabbage and potatoes dish.
- Prepare the rest of your meal.
- Enjoy in no time!