Sweet potatoes are a delicious, nutritious, and versatile root vegetable.
They can be cooked in many different ways and paired with a variety of flavors.
So if you are wondering what nuts go with sweet potatoes, you are in the right place.
I’m sharing 9 of the best nuts to pair with sweet potatoes including almonds, pecans, pistachios, walnuts, and more.
What Nuts Go with Sweet Potatoes?
Pecans, cashews, and pistachios are all great nuts that go well with sweet potatoes. You can either add them into the dish or use them as a garnish. They add a crunchy texture and a bit of sweetness that complements the natural sweetness of the sweet potatoes.
Still looking for other nuts to pair with your sweet potatoes?
Then simply keep reading!
Here are 9 types of nuts that go well with sweet potatoes:
Generally, almonds taste nutty, earthy, and toasty.
They can be eaten whole, sliced, or chopped.
Almonds go well with sweet potatoes because they can help to balance out the sweetness of the potato.
You can find almonds at most grocery stores, either in the baking aisle or in the bulk section.
Here are 5 reasons to use almonds with your sweet potatoes:
- Almonds can help to balance out the sweetness of the potato.
- Almonds add a nutty, earthy, and toasty flavor to the dish.
- Almonds can be eaten whole, sliced, or chopped.
- Almonds are a good source of protein and fiber.
- Almonds are widely available and relatively affordable.
Pecans have a distinctly sweet and buttery flavor that pairs well with sweet potatoes.
You can find pecans at most grocery stores, either in the baking aisle or in the bulk section.
Pecans can be used in sweet or savory dishes, so they are a versatile addition to your kitchen.
Pecans are a good source of calcium and magnesium, so they are a healthy choice as well.
Described as fresh, piney, terpy and resinous, pistachios are a versatile nut that can be used in many different dishes.
They can be found in the bulk section of most grocery stores.
When pairing pistachios with sweet potatoes, consider other complementary flavors such as savory spices, fresh herbs, or sweet fruits.
Here are 5 ways to make sure your sweet potatoes and pistachios go great together:
- Roasted sweet potatoes with pistachio-herb pesto: Roast your sweet potatoes until they are soft and slightly caramelized. Then top them with a pistachio-herb pesto made with fresh parsley, basil, and mint.
- Sweet potato wedges with pistachio-chili dipping sauce: Cut your sweet potatoes into wedges and roast them until they are crispy. Serve them with a dipping sauce made with pistachios, chili flakes, and yogurt.
- Mashed sweet potatoes with pistachios and honey: Mash your cooked sweet potatoes with some butter, milk, and honey. Then stir in some chopped pistachios for a sweet and nutty flavor.
- Sweet potato curry with pistachios: Make a curry with sweet potatoes, coconut milk, and your favorite spices. Top it with chopped pistachios and serve it with rice or naan bread.
- Baked sweet potatoes with pistachio-maple topping: Bake your sweet potatoes until they are soft. Then top them with a mixture of chopped pistachios, maple syrup, and melted butter.
Walnut flavor is fairly mild, but it has a complexity that other nuts lack.
This makes them a great choice for pairing with sweet potatoes.
Other flavors that go well with walnuts include maple, thyme, sage, and rosemary.
You can find walnuts in the bulk section of most grocery stores.
And they’re super healthy! Walnuts are a wealth of the good kind of fats, and a high amount of omega-3 fatty acids.
Eating walnuts can help lower LDL (“bad”) cholesterol.
So not only are they delicious, they’re good for you, too!
Similar to almonds or peanuts, cashews have a rich nutty flavor that pairs well with sweet potatoes.
You can find cashews at most grocery stores in the nut aisle.
They make a great addition to a sweet potato dish, or you can use them as a topping for baked sweet potatoes.
Here are some of my favorite ways to enjoy sweet potatoes with cashews:
- Roasted sweet potatoes with a cashew cream sauce
- Mashed sweet potatoes with roasted cashews
- Baked sweet potatoes topped with cashew butter
- Sweet potato fries with a cashew dipping sauce
6. Macadamia Nuts
Macadamia nuts have a rich, buttery flavor that pairs well with sweet potatoes.
They can be found in most grocery stores near the other nuts or in the baking aisle.
Other complementary flavors for sweet potatoes include ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, and maple syrup.
Hazelnuts are sweet with slight notes of earthy bitterness.
They go extremely well with sweet potatoes.
You could even try pairing them with a savory dish like roasted chicken.
You can find hazelnuts at most grocery stores or online.
Here are 3 ways I like to enjoy sweet potatoes and hazelnuts together:
- Roasted sweet potatoes and hazelnuts – Simply roast your sweet potatoes in the oven until they are tender. Then, add some hazelnuts to the pan for the last few minutes of cooking. Serve as is or with a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkle of sea salt.
- Mashed sweet potatoes and hazelnuts – Mash your cooked sweet potatoes and stir in some chopped hazelnuts. You can also add a bit of butter, cream, or milk to make them extra creamy.
- Sweet potato and hazelnut soup – This soup is both sweet and savory. Simply cook your sweet potatoes and hazelnuts in chicken or vegetable broth until they are soft. Then, purée the soup until it is smooth. Finish with a drizzle of olive oil and some chopped fresh thyme.
8. Brazil Nuts
Smooth, buttery, and slightly sweet, Brazil nuts are the perfect complement to sweet potatoes.
Their rich flavor pairs well with other savory dishes, making them a versatile addition to your kitchen.
You can find Brazil nuts at most grocery stores, either in the bulk section or in the baking aisle.
Here are 4 of my favorite ways to enjoy sweet potatoes and Brazil nuts together:
- Roasted sweet potatoes and Brazil nuts: Roast sweet potatoes in the oven until tender. Then, top with chopped Brazil nuts and a drizzle of olive oil. Enjoy as a side dish or a light main course.
- Sweet potato and Brazil nut soup: Puree roasted sweet potatoes with chicken or vegetable broth, then stir in chopped Brazil nuts and a dollop of heavy cream. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Sweet potato and Brazil nut salad: Combine cooked sweet potatoes, chopped Brazil nuts, dried cranberries, and green onions in a bowl. Toss with your favorite vinaigrette or dressing.
- Sweet potato and Brazil nut breakfast hash: Sauté diced sweet potatoes and onions in a bit of oil until browned. Stir in chopped Brazil nuts, then top with eggs cooked to your liking. Serve with toast for a hearty breakfast or brunch.
9. Pine Nuts
Pine nuts have a soft and nutty flavor similar to cashews, making them a great addition to sweet potatoes.
You can find pine nuts in the baking aisle of most grocery stores.
In addition to sweet potatoes, pine nuts can also be used to top salads, pasta dishes, and soups.
What Nuts Go on Sweet Potato Casserole?
Pecans, walnuts, and almonds are all great nuts to put on sweet potato casserole. They all have a strong flavor that will complement the sweetness of the sweet potatoes.
What Nuts Go with Sweet Potatoes? (9 Tasty Nuts)
- Brazil Nuts
- Pine Nuts
- Pick your favorite nuts from this list to add to your sweet potato recipe.
- Prepare the rest of your delicious meal.
- Enjoy in no time!