Salads are the perfect accompaniment to shish kabobs.
Not only do they add a refreshing crunch to balance the succulent, smoky flavors of the kabobs, but they also provide a healthy and nutritious side dish.
With so many delicious salads to choose from, it can be hard to decide which one to make.
To help you out, I’ve compiled a list of the top 10 best salads to serve with shish kabobs.
From light and fruity to creamy and hearty, there’s something to please everyone.
Read on to find out what salad to serve with shish kabobs.
1. Wedge Salad
Ah, wedge salad.
This classic dish is the perfect side to any meal.
It’s a great way to get your greens in and add a bit of crunch to your plate.
Plus, there are so many creative ways to make it your own.
Here are a few of my favorite ways to dress up a wedge salad:
- Add a bit of blue cheese crumbles, diced bacon, and a tangy balsamic vinaigrette to make a classic, yet flavorful dish.
- Toss it with roasted vegetables, chickpeas, and a light lemon dressing for a delicious and nutritious meal.
- Top with some grilled shrimp and a creamy Caesar dressing for a seafood twist.
My pro tip for the perfect wedge salad? Make sure to use a good quality lettuce and a flavorful dressing for the best results.
2. Caesar Salad
This salad just looks FANCY.
Caesar salad is the perfect combination of crunchy and creamy, and it’s the perfect way to jazz up any dinner.
Here are some creative twists you can make to really take your Caesar salad to the next level:
- Add some grilled or blackened chicken or shrimp for extra protein
- Toss in some cooked quinoa for a heartier salad
- Add some fresh fruit for a sweet and savory combination
- Top with a poached egg for a unique touch
Pro tip: Don’t forget to top your salad with homemade croutons for extra crunch!
3. Kale Salad
Kale comes with a strong flavor that can really stand out in a salad, making it a great option for a tasty side dish.
Here are some ways to take it up a notch:
- Add some roasted garlic for a subtle but delicious kick
- Mix in some sweet cranberries for a burst of flavor
- Top with crunchy pumpkin seeds for a nutty crunch
- Sprinkle some feta cheese to give it a tangy bite
- Toss in some croutons for a touch of crunch
Pro tip: Use a great vinaigrette dressing to bring out all the flavors!
4. Greek Salad
I love serving a Greek salad with my shish kabobs and gyros.
It’s the perfect side dish to go with Greek-inspired meals, and there are so many creative ways to make it.
Here are some of my favorite twists:
- Add fresh dill, mint, and parsley to your salad for a herby twist
- Top with a sprinkle of feta cheese, olives, and capers for a burst of salty flavor
- Mix in some roasted red peppers and lightly steamed green beans for a colorful and crunchy addition
- For a bit of sweetness, try adding dried cranberries or pomegranate seeds
Pro tip: Serve with a side of Greek vinaigrette to take your Greek salad to the next level!
5. Strawberry Spinach Salad
This salad reminds me of summer days spent outside in the sun.
It’s light, flavorful, and packed with nutrients.
Plus, it’s super easy to make and customize.
Here are some creative twists you can make with this strawberry spinach salad:
- Top with some crunchy almonds or walnuts
- Add a protein like grilled chicken or tofu
- Try using a balsamic vinaigrette instead of a basic dressing
- Mix in some quinoa for added texture and protein
Pro tip: Try adding some feta cheese for a nice salty contrast!
6. Caprese Salad
Caprese salad is known for its simple yet delicious flavor combination of fresh tomatoes, basil, and mozzarella.
It’s an easy-to-make and refreshing summer meal that is sure to please any crowd.
Here are some creative twists you can make to add a bit of extra flavor to your caprese salad:
- Add a bit of zest by adding a few slices of lemon or a drizzle of lemon juice to your salad
- Add a bit of crunch by tossing in some toasted pine nuts or walnuts
- Top off your salad with a splash of balsamic vinegar for a tangy kick
- Add some extra protein with a few slices of prosciutto or some grilled chicken
Pro tip: Fresh basil leaves will really bring out the flavor of your caprese salad, so be sure to use them whenever possible!
7. Corn Tomato Avocado Salad
How about something Mexican-inspired for dinner tonight?
This Corn Tomato Avocado Salad is a delicious and healthy option that will make your taste buds dance!
Here are a few creative twists you can try to make it even better:
- Add a handful of black beans for extra protein
- Top with a sprinkle of queso fresco for a cheesy kick
- Drizzle with a spicy chipotle dressing for a smoky flavor
- For a sweeter option, add some diced mango
Pro tip: Make sure to add the avocado just before serving so it doesn’t brown. Enjoy!
8. Waldorf Salad
Your shish kabobs are going to be the talk of the block with this Waldorf Salad!
It’s a classic, creamy salad made with crunchy apples, celery, mayonnaise and raisins, and it’s sure to satisfy everyone’s taste buds.
Here are some fun twists to try:
- Add toasted walnuts for a nutty crunch
- Swap out the mayonnaise for Greek yogurt for a lighter version
- Top with grilled chicken for a protein-packed meal
- Sprinkle on some blue cheese for a savory kick
Pro tip: For a quick and easy version, mix together canned diced apples, canned crushed pineapple, celery, raisins, mayonnaise and a little bit of lemon juice! Enjoy!
9. Crunchy Broccoli Salad
I love a crunchy broccoli salad!
It’s healthy, filling, and oh-so-tasty.
Plus, it’s so easy to customize with a few twists and turns.
Here are some of my favorite ways to give this dish a spin:
- Add a handful of sunflower seeds for a crunchy topping
- Mix in a few dried cranberries for a sweet surprise
- Spice things up with a sprinkle of red pepper flakes
- To make it a meal, add in a few strips of grilled chicken
Pro Tip: To make sure your broccoli stays super crunchy, add it right before serving.
10. Southwest Chicken Chopped Salad
When you’re serving shish kabobs, why not mix it up with a Southwest Chicken Chopped Salad?
This flavorful dish combines juicy chicken, crunchy veggies, black beans and a tangy dressing for a delicious combination.
Here are some creative ways to make it even better:
- Add a sprinkle of cotija cheese for a hint of smoky flavor
- Use a mix of romaine, spinach and kale for extra nutrients
- Try diced jalapenos for a spicy kick
- Swap out the black beans for cooked quinoa
Pro Tip: Top your salad with crushed tortilla chips for a crunchy finish.
Top 10 Salads to Serve with Shish Kabobs
- Wedge Salad
- Caesar Salad
- Kale Salad
- Greek Salad
- Strawberry Spinach Salad
- Caprese Salad
- Corn Tomato Avocado Salad
- Waldorf Salad
- Crunchy Broccoli Salad
- Southwest Chicken Chopped Salad
- Pick your favorite salad from this list to serve with your shish kabobs.
- Prepare the ingredients according to the recipe.
- Enjoy in no time!