If you’ve been wondering what sauce to serve with chicken rice and veg, then look no further!
I’ve got 8 of the best sauces to complement your next meal.
And trust me, your family and friends will be impressed.
So go ahead and give one (or all) of these a try!
What Sauce Goes with Chicken Rice and Veg?
The best sauces to pair with chicken rice and vegetables are soy sauce, oyster sauce, fish sauce, and chili sauce. You can also try a classic like garlic herb butter sauce, or something more unique like a mustard-based sauce.
The thing is…
A dish without a sauce can often seem bland and dry, but choosing the right sauce can elevate your dish to new heights.
Here are three factors to consider when selecting a sauce for chicken rice and vegetables:
- The Type of Rice: If you’re using plain white rice, you’ll want a sauce that is light and not too overwhelming. A simple soy sauce or teriyaki sauce would be a good option. If you’re using brown rice, you might want a heartier sauce with more depth of flavor, such as a curry or an Asian-style stir-fry sauce.
- The Type of Vegetables: If your dish contains mainly fresh vegetables, you’ll want a bright and flavorful sauce to compliment them. A lemon pepper or garlic butter sauce would be good choices. If your dish contains mostly cooked or frozen vegetables, you might want a creamier sauce to help them stand out, such as Alfredo or cheese sauces.
- Your Personal Preferences: Of course, the most important factor in choosing a sauce is your own personal preferences! If you’re not sure what kind of sauce would be best for your dish, try thinking about what kinds of flavors you usually enjoy together. Do you like sweet and savory combinations? Spicy and cool? Tangy and creamy? Once you have an idea of the general flavor profile you’re going for, it will be easier to narrow down your options.
With that said, here are 8 of the best sauces for chicken rice and vegetables:
1. Soy Sauce
Soy sauce is readily available in most kitchens and is a great dipping sauce for chicken rice and veg.
There are many ways to jazz up soy sauce, such as adding:
- Sesame oil
- Green onions
- Chili paste
These ingredients can be added to the soy sauce directly, or used to create a marinade or glaze for the chicken.
Soy sauce is already quite salty, so taste it before adding any additional salt.
2. Oyster Sauce
Oyster sauce is usually a hit or miss with most people.
You either love it or you hate it.
I personally think that it is a fantastic sauce to have with chicken rice and vegetables.
It is savory, slightly sweet, and has a unique umami flavor that really enhances the dish.
There are three ways that you can add more flavor to your oyster sauce:
- by adding some chopped up garlic into the sauce,
- by adding a bit of sriracha or other hot sauce to give it some spice, or
- by adding a squeeze of fresh lime juice to brighten up the flavors.
All of these additions will take your oyster sauce to the next level and make it even more delicious.
Give them a try next time you make chicken rice and see for yourself!
3. Fish Sauce
Fish sauce has quite a unique flavor that can really enhance a dish.
It is made from fermented fish and has a salty, umami flavor.
Fish sauce is commonly used in Southeast Asian cuisine, particularly Thai and Vietnamese dishes.
Here are three ways to add more flavor to your sauce:
- Use it as a marinade for your chicken before cooking. This will give the chicken a nice, deep flavor.
- Add some fish sauce to your rice while cooking it. This will give the rice a slightly salty flavor that is really delicious.
- Use fish sauce as a dipping sauce for your cooked chicken and vegetables. This is a great way to add some extra flavor to your meal.
4. 5-Minute Chili Garlic Sauce
If you’re in a hurry and need a quick and easy sauce to accompany your rice and vegetables, then this 5-minute chili garlic sauce is the perfect solution.
Not only is it incredibly simple to make, but it’s also packed with flavor.
To give it an extra boost of flavor, try adding a teaspoon of grated ginger, a tablespoon of chopped cilantro, or a tablespoon of soy sauce.
All of these additions will take the flavors of this sauce to the next level and leave you with a dish that is truly irresistible.
5. Lemon and Garlic Butter Sauce
Lemony and garlicky all in one, this delicious sauce is perfect for chicken, rice, and veggies.
Butter, lemon juice, garlic, and a little bit of salt and pepper are all you need to make this amazing sauce.
Simply combine all of the ingredients in a small pan over low heat until the butter has melted and everything is combined.
If you want to add a little more flavor to this dish, here are three ways to do it:
- Use fresh lemon juice for an extra zing.
- Add some chopped parsley or other herbs for color and flavor.
- Swap out the butter for ghee or olive oil for a healthier version.
6. Mustard Cream Sauce
How about using a mustard cream sauce to top your chicken rice and veg?
This particular sauce is easy to make and can really add some zing to your dish.
Here are three ways you can add more flavor to it:
- Use a variety of mustards – Dijon, whole grain, honey mustard, etc. All of these will give the sauce a different flavor profile.
- Add in some fresh herbs – thyme, rosemary, or tarragon would all be great choices.
- Use a different type of cream – heavy cream, sour cream, or even yogurt. Each one will give the sauce a slightly different texture and flavor.
So go ahead and experiment with this sauce until you find the perfect combination of flavors that you love!
7. Lemon Pepper Sauce
There’s nothing quite as vibrant, summery and flavorful as a lemon pepper sauce.
This particular sauce is perfect for chicken, rice and vegetables, but can also be used as a dipping sauce or marinade.
To really take the flavor up a notch, try these 3 tips:
- Use fresh herbs: if you have access to fresh rosemary or thyme, throw some in! The woody, fragrant flavors of these herbs will complement the zesty lemon perfectly.
- Add a touch of heat: a pinch of cayenne pepper or red chili flakes will add just the right amount of heat to really balance out the acidity of the lemon.
- Use good quality olive oil: this may seem like a no brainer, but using a high quality olive oil will make all the difference! The fruity, green flavors of a good olive oil will elevate your sauce to another level.
8. Teriyaki Sauce
Sticky, sweet, and savory, teriyaki sauce is a versatile condiment that can be used in all sorts of dishes.
In this particular case, it goes great with chicken rice and vegetables.
There are many ways you can add more flavor to your teriyaki sauce.
- One way is to add some freshly grated ginger to the mix. This will give the sauce a nice zingy kick that complements the sweetness well.
- Another way to add more flavor is to use less water when making the sauce. This will make it thicker and more concentrated, giving it a richer flavor.
- Finally, you could also add a touch of smokiness to the sauce by using smoked paprika or chipotle powder. Just a pinch will do! These ingredients will enhance the umami flavors of the sauce and take it to another level entirely.
What To Serve With Chicken and Rice Soup? 17 Best Sides
What Sauce Goes with Chicken Rice and Veg? (8 Best Sauces)
- Soy Sauce
- Oyster Sauce
- Fish Sauce
- 5-Minute Chili Garlic Sauce
- Lemon and Garlic Butter Sauce
- Mustard Cream Sauce
- Lemon Pepper Sauce
- Teriyaki Sauce
- Pick your favorite sauce from this article to serve with your dish.
- Prepare the rest of your meal.
- Enjoy in no time.