Trying to find the right sauce for farfalle pasta?
Yeah, I’ve been there.
This bow tie pasta shape is notoriously difficult to pair with a sauce.
But don’t worry, I’ve got you covered.
Here are 10 sauces that go perfectly with farfalle pasta.
From classics like Alfredo and Marinara to more unique options like Puttanesca and Gorgonzola cream sauce, there’s something here for everyone.
So the next time you’re standing in front of the pasta aisle, feeling lost and confused, remember this list.
Your farfalle pasta will thank you.
What Sauce Goes with Farfalle Pasta?
The best sauce to serve with farfalle pasta is a classic tomato sauce. You can also try a pesto sauce, Alfredo sauce, or even a simple olive oil and garlic sauce. For something more unique, try a cream cheese and sun-dried tomato sauce, or a white wine and mushroom sauce.
I’m a total pasta lover, and one of my favorite shapes is farfalle, or bow tie pasta.
It’s perfect for catching sauce in all the nooks and crannies!
Here are two things to consider when choosing a sauce for your farfalle pasta:
- The thickness of the sauce. You want a sauce that is thick enough to coat the pasta, but not so thick that it overpowers the delicate flavor of the pasta itself. A good rule of thumb is to choose a sauce that is about as thick as heavy cream.
- The level of spice in the sauce. This is totally up to personal preference, but I find that a slightly spicier sauce pairs well with farfalle pasta because it helps offset the sweetness of the pasta itself. If you’re not a fan of spice, though, feel free to go with a milder option!
With that said, here are 10 sauces that go with farfalle pasta:
1. Alfredo Sauce
Creamy, rich, and decadent, Alfredo sauce is a classic pasta sauce that pairs perfectly with farfalle pasta.
This dish is simple to make and can be on the table in under 30 minutes.
- To start, cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling water according to package directions.
- While the pasta is cooking, prepare the sauce by melting butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Once melted, add garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Then, whisk in flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Next, slowly whisk in milk until combined and bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Finally, add Parmesan cheese and salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the sauce over cooked pasta and enjoy!
Pro Tip: For an extra creamy Alfredo sauce, use half heavy cream and half milk.
2. Tomato Sauce
How about a classic Italian tomato sauce?
This is a great option if you’re looking for something versatile that can be used with a variety of different dishes.
It’s also super easy to make!
Just simmer some tomatoes, garlic, and olive oil until the sauce is thick and flavorful.
You can also add in some herbs like basil or oregano if you want.
Pro Tip: If you have time, roast your tomatoes before adding them to the sauce.
This will intensify their flavor and make your sauce even more delicious!
3. Pesto Sauce
Although basil pesto sauce is my personal favorite, there are many other types of pesto sauce that can be paired with farfalle pasta.
Traditional Italian pesto is made with basil, garlic, olive oil, pine nuts, and Parmesan cheese.
Other popular variations include sun-dried tomato pesto, arugula pesto, and even sweet potato pesto.
No matter which type of pesto sauce you choose, it’s sure to be a delicious complement to your farfalle pasta dish.
Pro Tip: If you’re short on time, you can find pre-made pesto sauces at most grocery stores.
4. Basic Cheese Sauce
Any cheese lovers out there?
This one’s for you!
A basic cheese sauce is super easy to make and can be used in a variety of dishes.
All you need is some shredded cheese, milk, and a little bit of flour to thicken it up.
I like to pair this sauce with farfalle pasta, but it would also be great on top of roasted vegetables or used as a dip for pretzels or chips.
Pro Tip: If you’re looking for a richer flavor, try using half and half or cream instead of milk.
5. Garlic Butter Sauce
Garlicky and buttery – yup, just as good as it sounds.
This is a super simple sauce that comes together in just a few minutes and only requires a handful of ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry.
I like to pair this with farfalle pasta, but it would also be great on chicken or fish.
- To make the sauce, start by melting some butter in a pan over medium heat.
- Then add in garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Next, add in some flour to thicken and whisk until smooth.
- Finally, add in some milk and bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and you’re done!
Pro Tip: If you want a little extra flavor, try adding in some Parmesan cheese or red pepper flakes when you’re seasoning the sauce at the end.
6. Quick Parmesan Cream Sauce
Parmesan makes pretty much anything taste better, am I right?
This quick and easy sauce is no exception.
It’s a delicious way to dress up your favorite pasta, and only takes a few minutes to make.
- Start by melting some butter in a pan, then add in some garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Next, add in some heavy cream and let it come to a simmer.
- Finally, stir in some grated Parmesan cheese and season with salt and pepper to taste.
This sauce is best served fresh, so don’t make it ahead of time.
Pro Tip: If you want to take this sauce over the top, add in some crispy pancetta or bacon before serving.
7. Bolognese Sauce
Bolognese sauce makes sure nobody goes home hungry from your dinner table.
- This hearty, filling sauce is traditionally made with beef, pork, pancetta, carrots, celery, onions, and tomatoes simmered in red wine and milk.
- It’s then seasoned with salt, pepper, and nutmeg before being tossed with cooked pasta.
While it might take a little bit of time to make this classic sauce from scratch, it’s well worth the effort since you’ll end up with leftovers that only get better with age.
Pro Tip: If you want a shortcut version of this sauce, you can use ground beef instead of the traditional mix of meats.
8. Sun-Dried Tomato Cream Sauce
If you want to impress your guests with a homemade pasta sauce, this sun-dried tomato cream sauce is the way to go.
It’s rich and flavorful, but not too heavy, and it pairs perfectly with farfalle pasta.
The best part is that it only takes about 30 minutes to make from start to finish.
To make the sauce, you’ll need:
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Simply combine all of the ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- Then, cook the sauce over medium heat in a small saucepan for about 5 minutes, or until heated through.
- Serve immediately over cooked pasta.
9. Marinara Sauce
Marinara sauce needs no introduction – it’s a classic for a reason.
This tomato-based sauce is perfect for so many dishes, but I especially love it with farfalle pasta.
The pasta’s shape allows the sauce to really cling to it and the result is a delicious, hearty dish.
Pro Tip: If you want a little extra flavor in your marinara, try roasting your tomatoes before adding them to the sauce.
It will give the sauce a deeper flavor that will really stand out.
10. 5-Minute Chili Garlic Sauce
Are you in a rush but still want to enjoy a delicious and home-cooked meal? This 5-minute chili garlic sauce is perfect for you!
All you need is a blender and 7 simple ingredients: red chili peppers, garlic, rice vinegar, brown sugar, salt, vegetable oil, and water.
Add all the ingredients into the blender and blend until smooth.
You can enjoy this sweet and savory sauce with farfalle pasta or use it as a dipping sauce for your favorite appetizers.
Pro Tip: If you want a little bit of heat, add in 1/2 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes into the sauce.
What Sauce Goes with Farfalle Pasta? (10 Best Sauces)
- Alfredo Sauce
- Tomato Sauce
- Pesto Sauce
- Basic Cheese Sauce
- Garlic Butter Sauce
- Quick Parmesan Cream Sauce
- Bolognese Sauce
- Sun-Dried Tomato Cream Sauce
- Marinara Sauce
- 5-Minute Chili Garlic Sauce
- Pick your favorite sauce from this post to serve with your pasta dish.
- Prepare the rest of your tasty meal.
- Enjoy in no time…