Knowing what sauce goes with udon noodles can be what takes your dish from good to great.
And while there are countless options out there, I’ve narrowed it down to my top 13 favorites.
So, whether you’re looking for a traditional Japanese sauce or something with a little more spice, I’ve got you covered.
What Sauce Goes with Udon Noodles? 13 Best Sauces
If you want to make sure your udon noodles are properly seasoned, then you need to choose the right sauce.
There are a number of different sauces that can be used with udon noodles, but not all of them will provide the same level of flavor.
Fortunately, there are a number of great sauces that pair well with udon noodles.
Here are 13 of the best sauces for udon noodles:
1. Tonkatsu Sauce
Classic, sweet and tangy, this Japanese sauce with western influences is the perfect finishing touch to any noodle dish – from ramen to udon to soba.
Tonkatsu sauce is made with a base of fruit and vegetables, thickened with wheat flour and typically seasoned with Worcestershire sauce, salt, sugar, and sometimes mustard.
Here are some easy customizations you can make with this delicious sauce:
- Add a little bit of heat by stirring in some chili flakes or Sriracha sauce
- Make it extra tangy by adding some rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- Give it a touch of sweetness with a drizzle of honey or brown sugar
2. Teriyaki Sauce
Sticky and sweet, teriyaki sauce is an easy way to make any noodle dish more delicious.
Here are some ideas for customizing this classic sauce:
- Add a kick of heat with some chili flakes
- Make it extra sticky by adding a touch of honey
- Thicken it up with some cornstarch
- Add some acidity with rice vinegar
- Make it creamy with a dollop of plain yogurt
3. Miso Sauce
This creamy miso sauce is probably one of the most versatile sauces out there.
It’s perfect for any type of noodle dish, whether it be soba noodles, udon noodles, or even ramen noodles.
You can also easily customize this sauce to your liking.
Here are some easy customizations you can make:
- Add more or less miso paste, depending on how strong you want the flavor to be
- Add some chili oil or Sriracha for a little bit of heat
- Add a squeeze of lime or lemon juice for a bright and acidic touch
- Stir in some chopped green onions or cilantro for a fresh and herby flavor
4. Ponzu Sauce
This fantastic and citrusy ponzu sauce is perfect for any udon noodle dish!
I personally love it because it’s:
- Super easy to make
- Goes well with any type of noodle
- Is light and refreshing
- Has a lovely citrusy flavor
To make this delicious sauce, you will need:
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon citrus juice (I like to use yuzu, but lemon or lime work great too)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
Simply mix all the ingredients together and enjoy!
- If you want a bit more depth of flavor, you can add in some dashi or bonito flakes.
- For a bit more heat, add in some chili oil or Sriracha.
- And for extra freshness, top with some chopped scallions.
5. Oyster Sauce
Oyster sauce is super easy to find in any Asian grocery store, and it’s a great addition to have in your pantry for when you want to whip up a quick noodle dish.
This sauce is made from oysters that have been simmered down and then strained, so it has a really intense oyster flavor.
It’s also got a nice sweetness to it from the addition of sugar, and a bit of savoriness from the salt.
Oyster sauce is really versatile and goes well with all sorts of noodles, whether they’re plain or stir-fried.
Here are some easy customizations you can make with this sauce:
- If you want it sweeter, add a teaspoon or two of sugar.
- For a spicier kick, add some chili flakes or Sriracha sauce.
- If you want a bit more acidity, add a splash of rice vinegar or lime juice.
6. Boom Sauce
This sauce is usually put on burgers, but that’s not all it’s good for!
You can serve this Boom Sauce with any noodle dish, and here are some easy customizations you can make with it:
- Add some sriracha or other hot sauce to give it a little kick
- Mix in some diced up fruit like mango or pineapple for a sweet and savory combo
- Add some chopped up bacon or pancetta for a salty twist
This sauce is sure to please everyone at the table, no matter what you decide to put it on.
7. Mentsuyu Sauce (Cold Soba Noodle Dipping Sauce)
Made from soy sauce, mirin, sake and dashi powder, mentsuyu is a staple sauce in Japanese cuisine.
It’s most commonly used as a dipping sauce for cold soba noodles, but it’s also delicious on its own as a noodle soup or mixed with other dishes.
Here are some easy customizations you can make with this versatile sauce:
- Add grated ginger for a zesty kick
- Mix in wasabi paste for a spicy twist
- Stir in some chopped scallions or chives for extra flavor
- Thin out the sauce with water or dashi broth if you find it too thick
- Use less mirin if you don’t want the sauce to be too sweet
8. Easy Chimichurri Sauce
This sauce is made with parsley, oregano, garlic and lime juice, and is delicious on any noodle dish!
You can also:
- Add some spice with red pepper flakes
- Make it creamier with the addition of Greek yogurt or mayonnaise
- Add more depth of flavor with a touch of smoked paprika
- Switch up the herbs and use cilantro instead of parsley
9. Hoisin Sauce
Hoisin sauce needs no introduction – it’s a staple in Asian cuisine and goes great with nearly any noodle dish.
This sauce is made with soybeans, garlic, vinegar, sugar, and spices, and has a sweet and savory flavor that is simply irresistible.
Hoisin sauce is easy to find in any Asian grocery store, or you can even make your own at home.
Here are some easy customizations you can make with this delicious sauce:
- Add a bit of chili paste or Sriracha for some heat
- Mix in some chopped green onions or cilantro for freshness
- Stir in a spoonful of peanut butter for added creaminess and richness
- Add a splash of rice vinegar or lime juice for brightness
10. Gyoza Sauce
This sauce isn’t just for gyoza! It’s actually one of my favorite sauces for udon noodles – or any noodles, really.
Gyoza sauce is a savory, umami-rich sauce that’s perfect for dipping or as a flavorful addition to your dish.
It’s made with a base of soy sauce and vinegar, and then customizations can be made depending on your preferences.
Some common additions are sugar, sesame oil, garlic, ginger, and chili pepper flakes.
This sauce is incredibly easy to make and only requires a few minutes of prep time.
The best part about this sauce is that it can be tailored to your liking – so feel free to experiment with different ingredients until you find your perfect combination!
11. BBQ Sauce
Known for being both sweet and savory, BBQ sauce is a great addition to any noodle dish!
You can find this sauce pre-made at most grocery stores, or make your own at home.
Here are some easy customizations you can make with BBQ sauce:
- Add diced onions for a savory crunch
- Mix in some honey for a sweeter flavor
- Stir in chopped cilantro for a fresh zing
- Add a dash of cayenne pepper for some heat
- For a creamier consistency, mix in some sour cream or Greek yogurt
12. Chinese Garlic Sauce
This sauce is the perfect combination of spicy, salty, and sweet, and it’s incredibly versatile.
Here’s how to change it up:
- Spicy: Add a pinch of cayenne pepper, crushed red pepper flakes, or Sriracha sauce to the garlic sauce.
- Salty: If you want a saltier flavor, add soy sauce or fish sauce to taste.
- Sweet: For a touch of sweetness, add honey or brown sugar to the garlic sauce.
This Chinese garlic sauce is perfect for any noodle dish, whether it’s lo mein, chow mein, pad thai, or pho.
And with these easy customizations, you can make the perfect sauce for your dish.
13. General Tso Sauce
This sauce recipe is loaded with flavor and easy to make, and can be served with any noodle dish!
You can also customize it to your liking with the following easy tips:
- Add more or less chili pepper flakes to adjust the spice level
- Swap out chicken broth for vegetable broth to make it vegetarian/vegan
- Add in some chopped green onions for extra flavor
- Mix in a teaspoon of rice vinegar for a touch of acidity
What Sauce Goes with Udon Noodles? (13 Best Sauces)
- Tonkatsu Sauce
- Teriyaki Sauce
- Miso Sauce
- Ponzu Sauce
- Oyster Sauce
- Boom Sauce
- Mentsuyu Sauce (Cold Soba Noodle Dipping Sauce)
- Easy Chimichurri Sauce
- Hoisin Sauce
- Gyoza Sauce
- BBQ Sauce
- Chinese Garlic Sauce
- General Tso Sauce
- Choose any sauce from this list to serve with your udon noodles.
- Prepare the ingredients according to the recipe.
- Serve in no time…