If you’re not quite sure what sauce goes with zucchini noodles, don’t worry – I’ve got you covered.
I’ve compiled a list of my 13 favorite sauces that go perfectly with zucchini noodles.
So whether you’re looking for a light and fresh sauce or something a little heartier, you’re sure to find the perfect match here.
What Sauce Goes with Zucchini Noodles? 13 Best Sauces
Zucchini noodles definitely need a little boost in the flavor department.
But with the right sauce, they can be transformed into a delicious and healthy meal.
The best sauces for zucchini noodles are those that are light and fresh, with a little bit of acidity to brighten up the dish.
Here are 13 of the best sauces for zucchini noodles:
1. Alfredo Sauce
Alfredo is very rich and creamy with a predominant parmesan flavor.
Zucchini noodles can be a little bland on their own, but they take on the flavor of the sauce very well.
Alfredo is a great option if you’re looking for something hearty and filling.
Here’s how to change things up:
- Add some protein: grilled chicken, shrimp, or even tofu would be delicious in this dish.
- Spicy it up: a little bit of crushed red pepper flakes or diced jalapeños would give this dish some nice heat.
- Make it seasonal: swap out the zucchini noodles for another type of vegetable noodle, like carrot or beet. Or, add in some fresh herbs like basil or parsley.
2. Parmesan Cream Sauce
Any cheese lovers out there will rejoice at the news that parmesan cream sauce is an excellent way to jazz up some zucchini noodles.
This particular sauce is very rich and flavorful, thanks to the parmesan cheese.
A little bit of this sauce goes a long way, so don’t be afraid to go easy on it at first.
You can always add more later if you find that you need it.
There are a few different ways that you can change up this sauce to make it your own.
- For example, you could add in some garlic or onion for an extra boost of flavor.
- If you’re looking for a bit of a spicy kick, you could also add in some red pepper flakes.
- And last but not least, if you want to thicken up the sauce, simply add in some heavy cream or even sour cream.
3. Basil Pesto Sauce
Fresh, vibrant, and green, basil pesto is the perfect sauce for zucchini noodles.
But don’t let its light color fool you – this sauce packs a flavorful punch!
Basil pesto is traditionally made with fresh basil leaves, olive oil, Parmesan cheese, garlic, and pine nuts.
But there are endless ways to change up this classic sauce.
Here are a few ideas:
- Use different herbs: try cilantro, mint, or parsley in place of the basil.
- Make it vegan: use nutritional yeast in place of the Parmesan cheese.
- Change up the nuts: swap out the pine nuts for almonds, walnuts, or even sunflower seeds.
- Add some heat: throw in a pinch of red pepper flakes or diced jalapeños.
4. Marinara Sauce
I love the taste of fresh tomatoes, garlic, and herbs, so marinara sauce is one of my favorites.
It’s perfect for zucchini noodles because it doesn’t mask the flavor of the zucchini, but it enhances it.
Plus, it’s a healthy option since it’s made with mostly vegetables.
Here are some ways to change up this sauce:
- Add in some sausage or ground beef for a heartier meal.
- Add in some red pepper flakes for a little bit of heat.
- Switch out the regular pasta for gluten-free or whole wheat pasta.
- Add in some chopped veggies like mushrooms, bell peppers, or onions.
5. Italian Arrabbiata Sauce (sugo all’arrabbiata)
If you like Italian food, then you’ll love this arrabbiata sauce!
It’s a little bit spicy, a little bit sweet, and full of flavor.
This particular sauce is made with tomatoes, garlic, onions, and red pepper flakes.
It’s the perfect sauce for zucchini noodles because it really clings to the noodles and gives them a lot of flavor.
If you want to change up this sauce, here are a few ideas:
- Add some ground beef or sausage to make it a meaty sauce
- Add some chopped up vegetables like mushrooms, bell peppers, or eggplant
- Throw in some white wine or red wine vinegar for an extra zing
- Make it creamier by adding some heavy cream or half and half
6. Creamy Mushroom Sauce
Mushroom sauce makes any recipe earthy and flavorful.
This particular sauce is made with a creamy base, which makes it the perfect addition to zucchini noodles.
Zucchini noodles can be a little bland on their own, but with this sauce they are transformed into a delicious and healthy meal.
Here are some ways to change up this sauce:
- Add in some garlic for an extra punch of flavor.
- Try using different types of mushrooms for a different flavor profile.
- Add in some green onions or chives for a bit of color and sweetness.
7. Dijon Mustard Sauce
Dijon mustard has a way of perking up flavors and giving them a little boost, which is exactly what zucchini noodles need.
This sauce is easy to make and only requires a few ingredients that you likely already have in your pantry.
Dijon mustard, white wine vinegar, olive oil, garlic, and salt are all you need to make this delicious and healthy sauce.
Simply whisk all the ingredients together and voila!
You have the perfect sauce for your zucchini noodles.
But don’t stop there.
This sauce is also great on roasted vegetables, grilled chicken or fish, or even just as a dipping sauce.
Here are a few ways to change up this sauce:
- Add some honey for a touch of sweetness
- Throw in some diced onion or shallots for extra flavor
- Add herbs like thyme or basil for an herby twist
8. Lemon Butter Sauce
Lemon and butter – two ingredients that go so well together!
This simple yet delicious sauce is perfect for zucchini noodles or any other type of pasta.
The acidity from the lemon juice really brightens up the flavors and the butter helps to smooth it all out.
You can also add in some garlic, red pepper flakes, or Parmesan cheese to change things up a bit.
Here are some ideas:
- Add in some chopped fresh parsley or basil for a pop of color and flavor.
- For a bit of heat, add in some crushed red pepper flakes.
- Stir in some grated Parmesan cheese at the end for an extra cheesy kick.
9. Chimichurri Sauce
Why not add some beautiful green color to your zucchini noodles with a chimichurri sauce?
This particular sauce is very easy to make and it is also incredibly flavorful.
All you need for this sauce is some fresh parsley, cilantro, garlic, olive oil, red wine vinegar, and a little bit of salt and pepper.
Simply blend all of these ingredients together in a food processor or blender and you have yourself an amazing chimichurri sauce that is perfect for zucchini noodles.
If you want to change up the flavors a bit, here are some ideas:
- Add in some diced tomatoes for a little sweetness and acidity.
- Try using white balsamic vinegar instead of red wine vinegar.
- Add a pinch of red pepper flakes for some heat.
10. Gorgonzola Sauce
Most people think of gorgonzola sauce as being a thick and heavy sauce, but it can actually be quite light and airy.
This particular sauce is made with gorgonzola cheese, cream, and milk.
It is then seasoned with salt, pepper, and a little bit of nutmeg.
The result is a smooth and creamy sauce that has a slight tang to it from the gorgonzola cheese.
This sauce goes great on zucchini noodles because it clings to the noodles and really coats them well.
The sauce also has a bit of a bite to it from the cheese which helps to offset the blandness of the zucchini noodles.
Here are some ways you can change up this sauce:
- Add in some chopped fresh herbs like parsley or basil for an extra pop of flavor.
- Stir in some diced tomatoes or sun-dried tomatoes for a little bit of sweetness and acidity.
- If you want more of a kick, add in some crushed red pepper flakes or hot sauce to taste.
11. Sun Dried Tomato Pesto Sauce
This unique and flavorful sun dried tomato pesto sauce is perfect for zucchini noodles!
The sun dried tomatoes give the pesto a lovely sweetness and depth of flavor, while the pesto itself helps to keep the zucchini noodles from tasting bland.
Here are some ways you can change up this delicious sauce:
- Add in some chopped Kalamata olives for a briny twist
- Swap out the Parmesan cheese for vegan nutritional yeast flakes
- Add in a pinch of red pepper flakes for some heat
- Throw in some fresh basil leaves for an extra herby flavor
12. Horseradish Sauce
This zingy and creamy horseradish sauce is the perfect addition to zucchini noodles.
It’s easy to make and only requires a few ingredients, including: cream, mayonnaise, horseradish, garlic, lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
- Simply combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and whisk until smooth.
- Then, pour it over your zucchini noodles and enjoy!
You can also add this sauce to other dishes like roasted vegetables, fish, or chicken.
And if you want to change things up, here are a few ideas:
- Use Greek yogurt instead of cream for a lighter version.
- Add some chopped dill or parsley for extra freshness.
- Stir in some grated Parmesan cheese for extra flavor.
13. Olive Tapenade
Instead of a regular sauce, try an olive tapenade on your zucchini noodles.
Olive tapenades are usually made with a combination of olives, olive oil, capers, and sometimes anchovies.
This sauce is perfect for those who want to add a little bit of salty and briny flavor to their dish.
Not to mention, it is incredibly easy to make and can be stored in the fridge for up to two weeks.
Here are some ways you can change up this sauce:
- Add in some chopped fresh herbs like parsley or basil
- Swap out the olives for sun-dried tomatoes
- Add in a splash of balsamic vinegar or lemon juice for some acidity
What Sauce Goes with Zucchini Noodles? (13 Best Sauces)
- Alfredo Sauce
- Parmesan Cream Sauce
- Basil Pesto Sauce
- Marinara Sauce
- Italian Arrabbiata Sauce (sugo all'arrabbiata)
- Creamy Mushroom Sauce
- Dijon Mustard Sauce
- Lemon Butter Sauce
- Chimichurri Sauce
- Gorgonzola Sauce
- Sun Dried Tomato Pesto Sauce
- Horseradish Sauce
- Olive Tapenade
- Choose your favorite sauce from this list to serve with your zucchini noodles.
- Prepare the ingredients according to the recipe.
- Enjoy in no time!