If you’re a breakfast lover, you’re probably no stranger to the appeal of breakfast burritos.
These filling, portable wraps are perfect for busy mornings and can be customized to fit almost any taste preference.
One key ingredient that can make or break a breakfast burrito, however, is the cheese.
The right cheese can add a creamy, melty texture and a delicious burst of flavor to your burrito, while the wrong cheese can leave you with a greasy, unappetizing mess.
In this article, we’ll help you navigate the world of breakfast burrito cheeses and share our top picks for the best cheese for breakfast burritos.
Plus, we’ll throw in some alternative cheese options for those looking to mix things up.
So, whether you’re a cheese fanatic or just looking for the perfect finishing touch for your breakfast burrito, read on to discover the best cheese options for this beloved morning meal.
The Best Cheese for Breakfast Burritos
When it comes to breakfast burritos, cheese is a key component that can take your dish to the next level.
But what makes a cheese the “best” option for breakfast burritos? Generally, you’ll want a cheese that melts easily, has a creamy texture, and offers a flavorful complement to the other ingredients in your burrito.
With that in mind, here are our top recommendations for the best cheese for breakfast burritos:
Cheddar cheese is a classic choice for breakfast burritos, and for good reason. It melts easily and offers a rich, slightly sharp flavor that pairs well with eggs and other savory breakfast ingredients. Plus, it’s widely available and affordable.
Monterey Jack Cheese
Another popular choice for breakfast burritos is Monterey Jack cheese. This cheese also melts easily and has a mild, creamy flavor that won’t overpower other ingredients. It’s a versatile cheese that can work well in a variety of breakfast burrito combinations.
If you’re looking for a cheese with a bit more tang, queso fresco is a great option. This crumbly Mexican cheese has a bright, slightly salty flavor that pairs well with ingredients like chorizo, black beans, and salsa. It won’t melt in the same way as cheddar or Monterey Jack, but it can be crumbled on top of your burrito for a tasty finishing touch.
Cotija cheese is another crumbly Mexican cheese that can add a salty, slightly tangy kick to your breakfast burrito. It has a similar texture to feta cheese and can be crumbled on top of your burrito for added flavor.
Pepper Jack Cheese
For those who like a bit of spice, pepper jack cheese is a great choice. This cheese is made with jalapeno peppers, which give it a slightly spicy kick that can complement breakfast burritos with ingredients like bacon, sausage, or hash browns.
Ultimately, the best cheese for your breakfast burrito will depend on your personal taste preferences and the other ingredients you’re using. However, these five options are a great place to start when it comes to selecting the perfect cheese for your morning meal.
10 Alternative Cheeses for Breakfast Burritos
If you’re feeling adventurous or just looking to mix things up, there are plenty of alternative cheese options that can work well in breakfast burritos. Here are ten options to consider:
- Feta Cheese: Feta cheese is a tangy, salty Greek cheese that can add a bright flavor to your breakfast burrito. It pairs well with ingredients like spinach, tomatoes, and olives.
- Swiss Cheese: Swiss cheese is a mild, nutty cheese that melts well and can add a subtle flavor to your breakfast burrito. It pairs well with ham or bacon and can also work well in vegetarian burritos with ingredients like mushrooms and peppers.
- Gouda Cheese: Gouda cheese is a semi-hard Dutch cheese that has a buttery, slightly sweet flavor. It can add a richness to your breakfast burrito and pairs well with ingredients like avocado or smoked salmon.
- Provolone Cheese: Provolone cheese is a mild Italian cheese that melts well and has a creamy texture. It can add a subtle flavor to your breakfast burrito and pairs well with ingredients like grilled onions or roasted peppers.
- Brie Cheese: Brie cheese is a soft French cheese with a mild, buttery flavor. It can add a luxurious texture to your breakfast burrito and pairs well with ingredients like prosciutto or fig jam.
- Blue Cheese: Blue cheese is a pungent, tangy cheese that can add a bold flavor to your breakfast burrito. It pairs well with ingredients like bacon, eggs, and caramelized onions.
- Colby Cheese: Colby cheese is a mild American cheese that melts well and has a creamy texture. It can add a subtle flavor to your breakfast burrito and pairs well with ingredients like potatoes or breakfast sausage.
- Havarti Cheese: Havarti cheese is a Danish cheese with a mild, buttery flavor. It melts well and can add a richness to your breakfast burrito. It pairs well with ingredients like scrambled eggs or roasted vegetables.
- Asiago Cheese: Asiago cheese is an Italian cheese with a nutty, slightly sharp flavor. It can add a bold flavor to your breakfast burrito and pairs well with ingredients like sausage or peppers.
- Pecorino Romano Cheese: Pecorino Romano cheese is a hard Italian cheese with a salty, tangy flavor. It can add a sharp, bold flavor to your breakfast burrito and pairs well with ingredients like spinach or bacon.
By experimenting with different cheese options, you can create a breakfast burrito that’s truly unique and tailored to your taste preferences.
Tips for Using Cheese in Breakfast Burritos
Now that you know some of the best and alternative cheese options for breakfast burritos, it’s time to think about how to use cheese in your dish.
Here are some tips to consider:
- Grate or shred the cheese: Grating or shredding your cheese before adding it to your burrito can help it melt more evenly and prevent clumping.
- Distribute the cheese evenly: Make sure to distribute your cheese evenly throughout your burrito for maximum flavor in every bite.
- Melt the cheese before rolling the burrito: If you’re using a cheese that doesn’t melt as easily, consider melting it slightly in a pan before adding it to your burrito. This can help it integrate more fully with the other ingredients.
- Use a mix of cheeses: If you’re feeling adventurous, try using a mix of cheeses in your breakfast burrito. This can add a complex, layered flavor to your dish.
- Don’t overdo it: While cheese can be a delicious addition to breakfast burritos, it’s important not to overdo it. Too much cheese can overwhelm the other flavors in your burrito and leave you with a greasy mess.
By following these tips, you can ensure that your cheese is used to its full potential in your breakfast burrito.
In conclusion, the right cheese can take your breakfast burrito from good to great. Whether you opt for a classic cheddar or mix things up with a tangy feta or pungent blue cheese, there are plenty of options to choose from. Remember to keep factors like meltability and flavor in mind when selecting your cheese, and experiment with different combinations to find your perfect match.
By following our tips for using cheese in breakfast burritos, you can ensure that your dish is as delicious as possible. So why not try out a new cheese option in your next breakfast burrito and see where it takes you?
10 Best Cheeses for Breakfast Burritos
- Cheddar Cheese
- Monterey Jack Cheese
- Queso Fresco
- Cotija Cheese
- Pepper Jack Cheese
- Select your favorite cheese from this article.
- Organize all the required ingredients.
- Prep a delicious Breakfast Burrito in 30 minutes or less!