Beets are a delicious and nutritious root vegetable that can be enjoyed roasted, steamed, or raw.
But what herbs and spices go with beets?
This is a common question that I get asked because while beets are delicious on their own, they can really be taken to the next level with the right herbs and spices.
So if you are looking for ways to spice up your beet recipes, then you are in the right place.
In this article, I’m sharing 9 of the best herbs and spices to use with beets including rosemary, thyme, basil, oregano, and more.
What Herbs and Spices Go with Beets?
With so many different flavors, it’s hard to go wrong when seasoning beets. However, some of the most common and complementary flavors include ginger, dill, parsley, and garlic. You can also add a touch of sweetness with cinnamon, nutmeg, or cloves. Or, if you prefer a more savory flavor, try adding cumin, smoked paprika, or even curry powder.
Keep scrolling for even more ideas!
Here are 9 of my favorite herbs and spices to use with beets:
Beets have a very earthy flavor, so you might want to try pairing them with herbs like basil or sage.
Here are two ideas to get you started:
- Roasted Beets With Basil: Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Cut beets into cubes and then toss them in olive oil, salt, and pepper. Spread the cubes on a baking tray and roast for 25 minutes, or until the beets are fork-tender. Once they are done, toss them in basil leaves and serve.
- Beet & Basil Salad: Toss cooked beets with chopped basil, olives, balsamic vinegar, and extra virgin olive oil. Dress it up by serving it on a bed of greens or adding crumbled feta cheese for extra creaminess.
If you love beets, you will love cilantro too!
Cilantro is a common herb used in many Indian and Mexican dishes.
Cilantro is also great for adding flavor to beet dishes.
Here are a few ideas for what to cook with cilantro:
- Moroccan Beet Salad: In this salad, beets are cooked in a Moroccan-inspired sauce that includes cilantro, citrus fruit, and garlic. This dish is delicious and perfect for using up leftover beets.
- Beetroot Salad with Cilantro and Feta: This salad is perfect for people who love feta cheese. Beets are soaked in a limey dressing that is balanced out by the tangy crumbles of feta cheese.
- Colorful Beet Salad with Carrot: This salad is packed full of color and flavor. Carrots are boiled until they are slightly tender, then tossed with shredded broccoli, roasted beets, and chopped cilantro. It’s sweet, salty, and crunchy all at the same time!
- Quinoa & Spinach: Quinoa has a nutty flavor that works well with spices like cilantro. Combined with spinach, this dish has a rich green flavor that will make your taste buds jump for joy.
Dill and beets go great together because they both have a slightly tangy, earthy flavor.
Dill is a great herb/spice to use with beets because it can add a depth of flavor that will compliment the sweetness of the beets.
Here are some ideas for what to cook with dill and beets:
- Roasted Hasselback Beets with Dill Dressing: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Cut the beets into bite-sized pieces and spread them out on a baking sheet. Drizzle them with olive oil and sprinkle them with salt, pepper, and dill. Roast in the oven for about 45 minutes or until the beets are tender.
- Beet Salad with Feta & Dill: This salad is perfect for summer weather when beet greens are in season. combine chopped red onion, crumbled Feta cheese, chopped fresh dill, lime juice, honey, and omega-3s to make a salad that is nourishing, flavorful, and super easy to make!
- Roasted Beets with Lemon and Dill: These roasted beets are delicious as is or you can serve them as a side dish to any meal. Toss them in olive oil, salt, pepper, lemon juice, and dill before baking. They will come out gorgeous and flavorsome!
Garlic is a powerful herb that can be used with beets in many different ways.
Here are some recipe ideas to get you started:
- Beets Infused with Garlic and Olive Oil: In this recipe, you will infuse beets with garlic and olive oil, then cook them until they are soft. The flavor of garlic will shine through in the finished dish.
- Mediterranean Beets with Garlic and Olive Oil: Cook beets until they are soft, then top them with roasted garlic cloves and olive oil. This dish is sweet, salty, and savory all at the same time.
- Russian Beet Salad (with Garlic): Thinly slice beets and mix them with chopped garlic. Dress them with olive oil and vinegar, then season them to taste. This is a great salad to enjoy during the warm months when beets are in season.
5. Lemon Juice
Lemon juice is great for adding a ton of flavor to dishes.
Not only does it work well with beets, but it can also be used in other vegetable dishes, too.
Here are a few ideas for what to cook with lemon juice and beets:
- Beet Juice: Add juice from raw or cooked beets to juices, smoothies, or salads. Lemon juice is a natural preservative, so you don’t have to worry about bacteria growing in your drink.
- Beet Lemonade: You can make beet lemonade by blending cooked or dried beets with fresh lemon juice. The earthy flavor of the beets pairs perfectly with the citrusy taste of the lemon.
- Beet Salad with Lemon Dressing: To make this salad, mix boiled or steamed beets with olive oil and lemon juice, then add salt and pepper to taste. Then pour the dressing over the salad and enjoy!
Mint is a great herb to use with beets because it complements the earthy flavor of beets.
Not only is mint a great herb on its own, but it can also be used to create flavor combinations in food.
Some examples of recipes that you can make with mint and beets include:
- Roasted Beet Salad with Mint: Start by roasting your beets until they are soft and flavorful. then mix them together with chopped mint, crumbled feta, and some salt and pepper for seasoning. You can serve this salad as is or dress it up with another sauce or dressing.
- Roasted Beet, Feta, and Mint Salad: Simply mix roasted beets, crumbled feta cheese, and chopped fresh mint together in a bowl. Then drizzle olive oil over the top and serve chilled or at room temperature.
- Crushed Beets with Chunky Olive Dressing & Mint: This recipe is a variation of the classic beet dish — but this time, the beets are crushed instead of mashed. After crushing the beets, you’ll whisk together olive oil, balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard, honey, salt, and ground black pepper. Then Drizzle the dressing over boiled crushed beets right before serving.
Nutmeg is known for its slightly nutty, sweet, and woody flavors.
You can use it to season beets in a variety of recipes.
Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Pickled Beets: Mix equal parts beet juice, sugar, vinegar, and nutmeg in a jar or bottle. Seal the jar or bottle and store it in the fridge for up to 6 weeks.
- Beet Greens with Nutmeg and Clementine: Cook beet greens until they are wilted down, then add 1 teaspoon of nutmeg per cup of greens. Top the beet greens with clementine slices and serve.
- Beet Roast with Bacon and Nutmeg: Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit before cooking your beet roast. Rub some salt, pepper, and nutmeg on both sides of bacon before cooking it in a pan until it is crispy. Then place the bacon onto the cooked beet roast and enjoy!
Oregano is a great herb to use with beets because it has a strong, pungent flavor which can boost the flavor of the beet.
Feel free to experiment with different dishes that you could make with oregano and beets.
Here are a few ideas:
- Beet Salad with Oregano: Use oregano as the sole herb in this delicious salad. The flavors of the beet and oregano will be really fun together.
- Beet Carpaccio with Oregano Vinaigrette: This dish is perfect for those who love raw seafood. Carpaccio is a fancy appetizer that is made by slicing raw seafood (usually fish or meats) very thin and then dressing it with a vinaigrette. In this case, you would marinate diced beets in an oregano vinaigrette before serving them on crusty bread.
- Beetroot and Haloumi Salad with Honey and Oregano: Haloumi cheese is one of the most interesting cheeses out there, and it works especially well when paired with beetroot. Sugar and honey add sweetness while the earthy flavor of oregano complements both dishes.
Rosemary is a herb that is often used with beets.
It has a strong, pungent flavor which can be perfect for cooking beet dishes.
Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Oven Roasted Balsamic-Rosemary Beets: Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Cut off the ends of the beets and then root them by peeling off the outer layer. Toss the beets in a baking dish with olive oil, rosemary, and salt and roast for 30 minutes.
- Balsamic Rosemary Beets: Wash and slice the beets into thick bite-sized pieces. Drizzle balsamic vinegar over the beets before putting them in a baking dish. Add olive oil, rosemary, salt, and pepper to taste, then bake for 30 minutes.
- Roasted Beets with Orange and Rosemary: Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Make an orange glaze by combining orange juice, maple syrup, honey, and rosemary leaves. Pour the glaze over the beets before baking for 20-30 minutes. Alternatively, you can grill or broil the beets instead of baking them.
What Herbs and Spices Go with Beets? (9 Options)
- Lemon Juice
- Pick your favorite spices and herbs from this post to use with your beet recipe.
- Prepare the rest of your delicious dish.
- Enjoy in no time!