Not sure what cheese goes with beets?
Don’t even worry—I’ve got you covered!
Beets are one of the most underrated vegetables out there.
Their earthy, sweet flavor is amazing when added to salads, soups, and side dishes.
But did you know they are even more delicious when paired with a tasty cheese?
Whether it’s crumbled Chevre or creamy Brie, this list contains ten different types of cheeses that go great with beets.
I’ll also share cooking tips for each variety so you can make the perfect pairing every time.
In a rush? Here is the short answer:
The best kinds of cheese to serve with beets are feta, goat cheese, blue cheese and cheddar. These creamy and sharp cheeses provide a nice contrast to the earthy flavor of beets. Additionally, ricotta salata is great for adding a salty element to beet dishes.
So here we go!
Feta is usually known for its tangy, rich and slightly salty flavor.
It can have a more “peppery” or hard texture if it is aged longer.
Feta made with sheep’s milk will have a richer buttery flavor, while goat cheese makes the cheese harder and milder in flavor.
Here are some creative ways to enjoy feta with beets:
- Make a Greek Beet Salad by combining beetroot, feta, olives cucumbers and tomatoes together with a simple olive oil dressing;
- Top roasted beets off with cubes of feta and serve as an appetizer;
- Create a gourmet tartlet by combining cooked mashed beets, crumbled feta cheese, fresh herbs and eggs in readymade tart shells.
2. Goat Cheese
Why not try something a little different by using goat cheese in your next beet dish?
This creamy, tangy cheese is the perfect complement to beets, providing an interesting contrast that will keep you coming back for more.
Here are some creative ways to use this cheese with beets:
- Make a delicious salad with roasted beets, arugula and crumbled goat cheese. Drizzle over a light balsamic dressing for added flavor.
- Stuff cooked baby beets with herbed goat cheese and top with fresh dill or parsley. Bake until golden brown and serve warm as a side dish.
- Create an elegant appetizer by slicing roasted red beets thinly, then topping each slice of beet with a dollop of softened goat cheese and sprinkle of freshly ground black pepper. Finish off the plate with sprigs of fresh thyme leaves for an extra zesty touch!
3. Blue Cheese
If you’re feeling adventurous and looking for unique ways to incorporate blue cheese into your recipes, beets are the perfect ingredient to pair with it!
Here are some creative ways to use blue cheese with beets:
- Try drizzling a creamy blue cheese dressing over roasted beetroot wedges. The sweetness of the beets pairs well with the sharpness of the cheese, making for an interesting flavor combination.
- Layer thin slices of raw beetroot onto crostini and top them off with crumbled blue cheese for an easy yet delicious appetizer or side dish.
- Create a savory tart by combining cooked diced beets, onions, garlic, cream and eggs in a pastry shell. Top it off with generous amounts of crumbled blue cheese before baking until golden brown.
Cheddar is one of the most popular cheeses in the world, and it’s known for its sharp and distinct flavor.
Aged cheddars become more nutty, crumbly, and sharp with a slightly tangier finish, some earthy notes, and some hard salt-like crystals that add a slight crunch to each bite.
When using cheddar cheese with beets there are many creative ways to make delicious dishes. Here are a few ideas:
- Try making beet chips by thinly slicing beets into circles or rectangles then adding shredded cheddar cheese on top before baking them in an oven at 400 degrees F (204 degrees C) until they’re crispy around the edges.
- Roast your beets in olive oil and garlic then sprinkle grated cheddar cheese over them right before serving for an easy side dish that packs a ton of flavor.
- Make a creamy beet salad by combining cooked beets with mayonnaise, sour cream or Greek yogurt, lemon juice or vinegar, chopped fresh herbs like parsley and dill, and shredded cheddar cheese.
- Combine cooked beets and grated cheddar cheese with cooked quinoa, walnuts, and a simple vinaigrette dressing for a protein-packed vegan salad.
- Use cooked beets, grated cheddar cheese, and cooked bacon in a quiche or frittata for a delicious lunch or dinner.
Versatile, nutty Gouda is a great cheese for pairing with beets.
Its creamy texture and sweet-salty notes pair well with the earthy sweetness of the root vegetable.
Here are three creative ways to use Gouda and beets:
- Roast cubes of both Gouda and beets in the oven for an easy side dish or snack. The caramelization from roasting will bring out even more flavors from each ingredient.
- Layer thinly sliced roasted beets on top of grilled slices of Gouda for a delicious open-faced sandwich that’s perfect as part of a light lunch or dinner meal.
- Make a rich beet dip by blending cooked beetroots, garlic cloves, olive oil, salt, pepper, and grated Gouda together until a smooth consistency is achieved – serve it with vegetables or crackers!
Mild and creamy, ricotta has a slightly nutty flavor and a thick, velvety texture.
Its neutral taste makes it very versatile; it works well in both sweet and savory dishes.
Here are some creative ways to use this cheese with beets:
- Roast the beets until they’re tender then stuff them with ricotta cheese for a comforting side dish. Add herbs like rosemary or thyme for an extra layer of flavor.
- Mix grated beetroot into ricotta cheese to make a vibrant dip that pairs deliciously with vegetables or crackers.
- Grill sliced beets then top them off with dollops of creamy ricotta cheese and fresh basil leaves for an easy appetizer or side dish.
Parmesan has tons of uses – from snacking on it to adding a grated topping for your favorite dishes.
It has a unique flavor, with a hard and gritty texture that’s slightly salty and nutty in taste.
Its flavors pair perfectly with beets, making them an ideal combination for salads or pasta dishes.
Here are some creative ways to use parmesan cheese with beets:
- Grilled Beet & Parmesan Salad: Grill sliced beets until they’re tender, then combine them with fresh arugula, crumbled parmesan cheese and olive oil dressing for a delicious salad full of flavor.
- Roasted Beet & Parmesan Risotto: Cook creamy risotto using roasted beet cubes along with parmesan cheese stirred in at the end to give it an extra boost of flavor.
- Baked Beet Ravioli With Parmesan Cream Sauce: Make ravioli filled with mashed cooked beets and top it off with melted parmesan cream sauce for a comforting dish everyone will love!
How about something even the kids will love?
Havarti cheese is a semi-hard cheese with a slightly springy texture and subtle sweet, acidic notes.
It pairs wonderfully with beets in all sorts of dishes!
Here are some creative ideas:
- Beet and Havarti Grilled Cheese Sandwich – combine shredded beets, thinly sliced Havarti cheese, mayonnaise, and pepper on whole wheat bread for an awesome sandwich that’s full of flavor!
- Beet & Goat Cheese Tart – mix together goat cheese and cream until smooth; spread over prebaked tart dough then top with roasted red beets cut into wedges or thin slices. Sprinkle with thyme leaves before baking.
- Roasted Beet Salad with Havarti Crisps – roast sliced red beets in the oven until tender; let cool then toss together with arugula, slivered almonds and crumbled Havarti crisps (made by baking grated havarti cheese on parchment paper). Drizzle over your favorite vinaigrette to finish
Don’t be fooled by the mild flavor of mozzarella – it can be used in a variety of creative ways with beets.
Here are some ideas:
- Make a beet and mozzarella salad – simply combine diced raw or roasted beets, crumbled mozzarella and your choice of herbs for a flavorful salad that is sure to satisfy.
- Create an appetizer with mini tartlets – fill small pastry shells with pureed cooked beets mixed with cream cheese, ricotta or cottage cheese, and top off with slices of fresh mozzarella for added texture.
- Use it as a topping for pizza – try adding thin slices of roasted golden beet to your favorite pizza recipe along with pieces of fresh mozzarella – this combination will definitely make your taste buds happy!
Brie needs no introduction; it’s one of the most popular and beloved cheeses in the world.
It has a creamy texture with a mild, nutty flavor that is balanced out by its slightly sweet and fruity notes.
There are also hints of buttery and earthy flavors that can be detected as well.
When using brie with beets, you can get creative and experiment with different flavors to make delicious dishes.
Here are some creative ways to use brie and beets together:
- Make a beet salad topped with crumbled brie for an indulgent yet healthy lunch or dinner option.
- Create a roasted beet crostini appetizer by topping slices of toast with caramelized onions, roasted beets, crumbled brie cheese, and fresh herbs like thyme or rosemary.
- Put together an elegant tartlet filled with layers of puff pastry dough, goat cheese mousse, honey-poached beets, crumbled brie cheese, and microgreens for garnish.
10 Cheeses That Go Well with Beets
- Goat Cheese
- Blue Cheese
- Pick your favorite kind of cheese from this collection to use with your beets.
- Prepare the rest of your delicious meal.
- Serve in no time!