There is nothing quite like a beef roast that has been cooked to perfection.
The key to making a delicious beef roast is in the seasoning.
And what better way to season your beef roast than with fresh herbs?
But if you are wondering ‘what herbs go with beef roast‘, then you are not alone.
I’m sharing 11 of the best herbs to use when cooking beef roast, whether you are making a pot roast, chuck roast, rib roast, or any other type of beef roast.
What Herbs Go with Beef Roast?
Whether you are making a pot roast, chuck roast, or any other type of beef roast, there are a few herbs that go particularly well with beef. These include thyme, rosemary, and sage. You can also add other herbs to taste, such as garlic or onion.
Are you still looking for ideas?
Here are 11 herbs that go well with beef roast:
Many people think that the only herb you can use with beef is rosemary.
However, thyme is actually a great herb to use with beef roast.
Thyme has a slightly minty flavor that goes well with the rich flavor of beef.
See Also: What Salad Goes With Roast Beef? 10 Best Salads
Here are some recipes that use thyme with beef roast:
- Simple Pot Roast with Thyme: This recipe only requires a few ingredients, and it is very easy to make. You will need beef roast, potatoes, carrots, onion, thyme, beef broth, and some seasonings.
- Mustard and Thyme Roast Beef: This recipe uses a mustard and thyme rub to give the beef roast a lot of flavor. It also uses red wine and beef broth to create a delicious gravy.
- Red Wine Pot Roast with Honey and Thyme: This recipe uses red wine and honey to add sweetness to the pot roast. The thyme gives it a nice savory flavor.
Rosemary can be a great herb to use with beef roast.
It has a variety of flavors which makes it well-suited for many different dishes.
Here are some recipes using rosemary:
- Rosemary Garlic Roast Beef: Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and rub the roast beef with olive oil, rosemary, and garlic before placing it in the oven. Leave the roast in there for an hour, then take it out and let it rest for another 30 minutes before serving.
- Oven Baked Pot Roast and Gravy: This roast beef is perfect if you are looking for something simple and delicious. Just layer the roast beef in a baking dish with a thick gravy on top. Cook in the oven for about 2 hours, or until the roast is cooked to your liking.
- Slow Cooker Rosemary Garlic Crusted Roast Beef: If you want to cook a roast beef without all of the fuss, try this slow cooker recipe. Simply coat the roast beef in flour, salt, and pepper, then dip it into an egg mixture before rolling it in shredded cheese and chopped rosemary. Place the dish into your slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hours. The result will be melt in your mouth beef that is sure to please!
Sage is a popular herb that has a pronounced herbal flavor.
It is used to add flavor to beef roast, and can be combined with other herbs to create different flavors.
Here are three recipes that use sage:
Basic Sage Pot Roast: Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Rub sage onto your beef roast and then bake in the oven. After the roast has cooked, add diced potatoes, carrots, and onions to the dish and let it all cook until everything is softened.
Sage Pot Roast & Vegetables: This recipe is similar to the basic pot roast recipe, but includes vegetables instead of potatoes. You can also replace the beef with chicken or lamb if you want a different flavor profile.
Dry-Aged Standing Rib Roast with Sage Jus: Sage jus is a delicious gravy made from unaged Sage wine. This gravy is perfect for using on a roasted rib roast. Once the roast has been cooked, transfer it to a serving platter and drizzle sage jus over it. Serve with mashed potatoes or French green beans for a complete meal.
Meet oregano, a strong herb with a peppery flavor that goes great with beef.
Oregano is a popular herb both at home and in the kitchen, as it has a variety of uses.
One of oregano’s best uses is in beef recipes.
Oregano can be used to enhance the flavor of beef roast, making it more tender and flavorful.
- Oregano roast beef with crispy kale is a dish that uses this herb to its fullest potential. First, preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Then coat the beef roast with olive oil and season it with salt, pepper, and Oregano. Place the beef roast in a baking dish and bake for 30-35 minutes until it reaches your desired internal temperature.
- Another great recipe using oregano is Air Fryer Lemon-oregano Roast Beef and Vegetables. In this recipe, you will air fry the beef until it is crispy on the outside and slightly tenderized on the inside. Once it is cooked, give it a healthy dose of lemon juice and oregano to finish it off.
This herb is also great to use with beef roast.
Basil can be used in a variety of dishes, but some examples include:
Rare Roast Beef with Fresh Herbs and Basil Oil: Marinate your roast beef in basil and olive oil before cooking. You will love the flavor and the tenderness of this dish.
Herbed Pot Roast with Vegetables: Similar to the Rare Roast Beef recipe, you can also cook your pot roast in a savory mix of herbs and basil. This dish goes great with potatoes, carrots, and onions.
Roast beef with pink peppercorns: This is a twist on the traditional roasted beef. Instead of using traditional black pepper, add pink peppercorns to create a more unique flavor.
Parsley has a bright, herbaceous, and slightly bitter flavor which pairs perfectly with beef.
Some of the best recipes to use parsley with beef include:
Roast Beef with Spicy Parsley Tomato Sauce: Parsley goes great in tomato sauce, adding a zing of flavor that is hard to resist. Add some brown sugar to sweeten up the sauce and serve over cooked beef.
Horseradish and parsley-crusted roast beef: Spice up your usual roast beef sandwich by using horseradish and parsley as the main ingredients. This flavorful combination will make your taste buds tingle!
Herb & pepper-crusted rib of beef: This dish is sure to wow your friends and family with its amazing flavor. Season your rib of beef with salt, pepper, garlic powder, thyme, and paprika then coat it in herbs like parsley. Bake the meat until it is cooked through then serve with a delicious gravy on top.
Mint has a sweet taste and produces a lingering cool effect on your tongue which makes it a perfect herb to use with beef.
Here are a few recipes that highlight the benefits of mint with beef:
- Pot Roast with Carrots, Shallots, Mint and Lemon: This dish is perfect for wintertime when you want something hearty and full of flavor. In addition to the mint, carrots, and shallots, this pot roast also features lemon juice to give it a refreshing taste.
- Roast Beef with Marinated Zucchini and Mint: This recipe is similar to the pot roast, but replaces the carrots with zucchini. The marinade coats the zucchini in a savory and slightly sweet minty sauce.
- Moroccan Beef with Yogurt Mint Sauce: This dish is made with grilled Moroccan-style beef that is topped with yogurt mint sauce. This recipe also includes garlic, onions, and tomatoes for robust flavors which all work well together with mint.
The pungent, bittersweet flavor of tarragon pairs perfectly with beef.
This herb is especially great for roast beef, as its flavor will be accentuated in the meat.
Here are three recipes that use tarragon and its unique flavor:
- Tarragon-Crusted Roast Beef: This recipe starts by coating the roast in a mixture of flour, salt, and pepper. Then, you coat it in softened butter before adding tarragon. This herb smells heavenly and tastes even better!
- Mustard and tarragon roast beef: For this dish, you first preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. You then take a 2-pound roast beef and dredge it in a mixture of cornstarch, salt, and pepper. After that, you toss it in some melted butter before coating it with mustard and tarragon. Bake for an hour, or until the beef is nicely browned.
- Roast Beef with Tarragon and Chilli Butter: This dish is delicious as is or can be served with a side of roasted vegetables. First, season your beef roast with salt and pepper. Then, heat some butter in a ovenproof skillet over medium high heat. Add the beef to the pan and cook for about 8 minutes per side, until evenly browned. Finally, add chopped onions and crushed tomatoes to the skillet and continue cooking for another 5 minutes. Serve with rice or potatoes on the side for a complete meal!
Marjoram’s flavor is similar to oregano, but it is a bit sweeter.
This herb is used as a flavoring agent in many beef roast recipes.
- One of the best ways to use it is to combine it with horseradish butter. This recipe makes 1 cup of horseradish butter, and all you need is a small amount of marjoram to flavor the butter.
- You can also use marjoram to make a simple breadcrumb crust for your roast beef. Simply mix together 2 cups of plain breadcrumbs with 2 tablespoons of marjoram, then coat the bottom and sides of a baking dish with the mixture.
- Finally, Marjoram is perfect for garlic lovers. You can bake garlic cloves with this herb in the oven, or use it as a seasoning for pasta or chicken dishes.
The primary flavor of chives is onion, so they are great for adding onion flavor to beef and other dishes.
Chives can be used in recipes as a vegetable, as an ingredient in a sauce or soup, or even as a garnish.
Here are two recipes that use chives:
Roast Beef with Chive Roasted Potatoes: Chive roasted potatoes make a delicious side dish for your roast beef.
Chive Crusted Beef Roast with Red Potatoes and Creamy Horseradish-Chive Sauce: This recipe is perfect for those cold winter days when you want something delicious but not too heavy. The sauce is made with horseradish, cream, and chives, so it is perfectly balanced and flavorful.
Garlic is the superhero of herbs!
This pungent bulb can add tons of flavor to your food, and it’s great for using with beef roast.
Here are some recipes that use garlic:
- Roast Beef With Garlic and Thyme: Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Rub the garlic cloves all over your beef roast and then sprinkle on some thyme leaves. bake in the oven until the beef is cooked through.
- Drunken Garlic Crock Pot Roast: Pour a bottle of your favorite red wine into a crockpot, then layer the beef, garlic cloves, and onions in the pot. cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 4-6 hours. When you are ready to eat, remove the meat and entire vegetables from the pot and serve them separately.
- Roast Beef with Mustard Garlic Crust: In a small bowl, combine 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard, 2 teaspoons olive oil, 1 teaspoon chopped garlic, salt, and pepper to taste. Spread this mixture over the top of your beef roast before cooking it in a preheated grill or oven. Grill or bake until the crust is crispy and the beef is cooked through.
What Herbs Go with Mushroom Risotto? 13 Best Herbs
11 Best Herbs and Spices for Split Pea Soup
What Herbs Go with Roast Lamb? (11 Best Herbs)
16 Best Herbs and Spices for Clam Chowder
What Herbs Go with Beef Roast? (11 Best Herbs)
- Pick your favorite herbs from this article to use with your beef roast dinner.
- Prepare the rest of your delicious meal.
- Enjoy in no time!