If you’re not sure what sauce goes with meatloaf, you’re not alone.
With so many different sauces to choose from, it can be difficult to find the perfect accompaniment for your meatloaf.
In this article, I’ll explore some of the most popular sauces for meatloaf, as well as some unique options for when you want to experiment with flavor.
I’ll also look at how to make each sauce from scratch so you can create the perfect sauce for your meatloaf.
Ah, tomato relish – a classic accompaniment to meatloaf.
This sweet and tangy sauce is made with tomatoes, onions, garlic, sugar, vinegar, and spices.
It’s an easy way to add flavor to plain meatloaf, and it’s also a great way to use up tomatoes that are on the verge of going bad.
- To make tomato relish from scratch, simply simmer tomatoes, onions, garlic, sugar, and vinegar in a saucepan for about 15 minutes.
- Then add your favorite spices, such as oregano, thyme, or basil, and simmer for a few more minutes.
- Serve the relish warm or cold over your favorite meatloaf recipe.
Ketchup is a classic sauce for meatloaf that’s easy to find and make.
It’s a favorite for its tangy sweetness, but you can also make your own ketchup from scratch if you’d like a more personalized flavor.
- To make ketchup from scratch, you’ll need tomato paste, white vinegar, brown sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, and Worcestershire sauce.
- Simmer these ingredients together until it reaches the desired thickness, and you can adjust the seasonings to make it taste just right.
Ketchup is a great choice for a classic, reliably tasty sauce to accompany your meatloaf.
One of my favorite sauces to pair with meatloaf is Worcestershire sauce.
It’s a great way to add a bit of tangy flavor to your dish.
- To make it, you’ll need some vinegar, molasses, tamarind, garlic powder, onion powder, and anchovies.
- Once you’ve combined all the ingredients, you can pour it over your meatloaf and let the flavors meld together.
Worcestershire sauce is a classic choice for meatloaf and will always be a crowd-pleaser.
Steak Sauce (A1, Heinz 57, Lea & Perrin’s)
If you’re looking for an easy and classic way to top off your meatloaf, steak sauce is a great option.
Steak sauce is bold, tangy, and a bit sweet, and it pairs perfectly with the savory flavors of meatloaf.
Popular brands like A1, Heinz 57, and Lea & Perrin’s are all great choices and can be easily found in most supermarkets.
If you want to go the extra mile, you can even make a homemade steak sauce from scratch.
It’s a simple process that can add a unique flavor to your meatloaf.
If you’re looking for a classic, delicious pairing for your meatloaf, marinara sauce is a great option.
It’s simple to make from scratch, and you can easily adjust the recipe to your own tastes.
I like to use a combination of crushed tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, and oregano to make a savory, flavorful marinara that complements the flavors of the meatloaf.
If you’re feeling adventurous, you can also add fresh basil, capers, and a pinch of red pepper flakes to give the sauce a bit of a kick.
Whatever you decide, marinara sauce is sure to be a winning choice for your meatloaf.
Beef or Chicken Gravy
Beef or chicken gravy is one of the most classic and popular sauces for meatloaf.
It is easy to make from scratch using beef or chicken stock and a few herbs, or you can buy a pre-made version from the store.
I personally like to make my gravy from scratch, as I find it adds a richer flavor to the meatloaf.
For a simpler version, you can also try adding Worcestershire sauce to the stock while simmering it, which gives it a nice depth of flavor.
Whichever way you choose to make it, beef or chicken gravy is sure to bring out the best in your meatloaf.
Mushroom sauce is a great choice to pair with your meatloaf.
Not only is the earthy flavor of the mushrooms a nice contrast to the savory taste of the meat, but it’s also easy to make from scratch.
- To make mushroom sauce, simply sauté some mushrooms in butter or oil and add a bit of garlic, onion, and white wine.
- Simmer until the liquid is reduced and season with salt, pepper, and any other herbs you prefer.
- Serve the sauce over your meatloaf and enjoy the comforting combination of two classic flavors!
BBQ sauce is a classic choice when it comes to pairing with meatloaf.
It adds a delicious smokiness and sweetness to the dish that makes it a great accompaniment.
I like to use a bottle of store-bought BBQ sauce, or I make my own by mixing ketchup, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, and liquid smoke.
Adding some diced onion, garlic, and a pinch of cayenne pepper will give the sauce an extra kick.
Once you’ve prepared your sauce, simply brush it over the top of your meatloaf before baking.
This will give it a beautiful glaze and an irresistible flavor.
If you’re looking for something a bit more unique for your meatloaf, try tamale sauce.
This Mexican-inspired sauce is a delicious blend of tomatoes, chili peppers, and spices.
It has a slightly spicy flavor that is sure to bring out the flavor of the meatloaf.
- If you want to try your hand at making it from scratch, you’ll need to start by simmering tomatoes, onions, garlic, chili peppers, and spices in a pot until the mixture is thick and fragrant.
- Then, add a few tablespoons of tomato paste, a tablespoon of sugar, and salt to taste.
This tamale sauce is sure to be a hit at your next dinner party!
Salsa is an excellent choice for your meatloaf.
It adds a delicious tangy flavor that really complements the meat.
Plus, it’s easy to make from scratch – all you need is tomatoes, onions, garlic, jalapenos, and cilantro.
If you’re feeling adventurous, you can even add other ingredients like lime juice or hot sauce to make it even more flavorful. Salsa is sure to be a hit with your dinner guests!
Honey Mustard Sauce
Honey mustard sauce is a great choice for your meatloaf.
It’s a combination of sweet and tangy flavors, which pairs perfectly with the savory taste of the meatloaf.
To make your own honey mustard sauce from scratch, combine equal parts of honey, Dijon mustard, and mayonnaise in a bowl and whisk until blended.
If you want to add a little kick, you can add a pinch of cayenne pepper or a few drops of hot sauce.
This is a great sauce to try if you want to add a bit of sweetness to your meatloaf.
Lemon Dill Sauce
If you’re looking for a unique and flavorful sauce to accompany your meatloaf, then I highly recommend giving lemon dill sauce a try.
The combination of bright lemon juice and tangy dill is a great way to enhance the flavor of your meatloaf.
The sauce is easy to make, and only requires a few ingredients.
Simply mix fresh lemon juice, extra-virgin olive oil, chopped fresh dill, garlic, salt and pepper, and you’re ready to go.
As an added bonus, the sauce is vegan and gluten-free, so everyone can enjoy it. Give it a try and you won’t be disappointed!
Chipotle sauce is one of my favorite sauces to pair with meatloaf.
It’s a smoky, slightly spicy sauce that adds a great depth of flavor to the meatloaf.
Plus, it’s easy to make from scratch.
All you need is chipotle peppers, garlic, olive oil, lime juice, and salt.
Simply blend the ingredients together until smooth and you’ll have a delicious, homemade sauce for your meal.
Whether you’re looking for a classic sauce or something more unique, chipotle sauce is a great option.
13 Easy Sauces that Go with Meatloaf
- Tomato Relish
- Steak Sauce (A1, Heinz 57, Lea & Perrin’s)
- Marinara Sauce
- Beef or Chicken Gravy
- Mushroom Sauce
- BBQ Sauce
- Tamale Sauce
- Honey Mustard Sauce
- Lemon Dill Sauce
- Chipotle Sauce
- Pick your favorite sauce from this list to serve with your meal.
- Prepare the ingredients according to the recipe.
- Enjoy in no time!