Once you know what sauce goes with jerk chicken, you can really turn up the flavor.
Jerk chicken is a classic Jamaican dish that is made with a unique combination of hot spices and herbs.
The right sauce can take it to the next level and bring out the best in this flavorful dish.
Here are 12 sauces that go with jerk chicken to help you get the most out of this popular dish.
1. Romesco Sauce
Romesco sauce is for those who like their food with a kick!
This creamy, nut-based Spanish sauce is the perfect accompaniment to jerk chicken.
Its smoky flavor from roasted peppers and its subtle sweetness from almonds and tomatoes make it the perfect match.
Here are a few creative ways you can use Romesco sauce to spruce up your jerk chicken:
- Mix it with mayo to make a flavorful aioli
- Stir it into cooked grains like quinoa or couscous
- Use it as a dip for roasted veggies
- Spread it on a sandwich or wrap
Pro tip: If you want to get creative, try adding a teaspoon of jerk seasoning to the sauce to give it a spicy kick that pairs perfectly with the jerk chicken.
2. Creamy Mushroom Sauce
Any creamy sauce is always welcome on my dinner table, but this Creamy Mushroom Sauce is something special.
It adds a rich and earthy flavor to jerk chicken that really takes it to the next level.
Here are some creative twists you can make to the sauce:
- Add some diced onions or peppers for a bit of crunch
- Mix in some fresh herbs like parsley or basil for a hint of freshness
- Mix in some pineapple chunks or mango salsa for a tropical twist
- Add a dash of hot sauce for a kick of heat
Here’s a pro tip: For an even creamier sauce, try adding a bit of Greek yogurt. Enjoy!
3. Peanut Sauce
Peanut sauce reminds me of the sweet and savory flavors of Jamaica.
It pairs perfectly with jerk chicken for a delicious layer of flavor.
Here are some creative twists you can make with peanut sauce:
- Add a bit of lime juice for a zesty flavor.
- Mix in a bit of honey for a sweet and nutty flavor.
- Add a pinch of cilantro for a hint of freshness.
Pro tip: If you have leftovers, you can use them to make a delicious peanut butter and jelly sandwich!
4. Spinach Pesto
Instead of serving regular old pesto sauce with your chicken, why not give Spinach Pesto a try?
It’s a great way to add a unique flavor and a bit of extra nutrition to your meal.
Here are some creative twists you can make to really make your Spinach Pesto stand out:
- Add a bit of pineapple juice for a sweet and tangy flavor
- Add a teaspoon of jerk seasoning to make it extra spicy
- Toss in some diced red peppers and onions for a flavorful crunch
- For a smoky flavor, sprinkle in a bit of smoked paprika
And here’s a pro tip: you can also mix in a bit of vegan mayo to give it a creamy texture. Enjoy!
5. Creamy Cilantro Sauce
Creamy, fresh, and slightly spicy, this cilantro sauce is the perfect topping for jerk chicken.
It gives the dish an added kick of flavor that complements the traditional jerk spices.
Here are some creative twists you can make to the sauce:
- Add a tablespoon of lime juice for a citrusy tang
- Swap out the cilantro for parsley for a more herbaceous flavor
- Puree roasted tomatoes for a smoky twist
- Stir in a teaspoon of your favorite hot sauce for an extra spicy kick
Pro tip: Be sure to taste the sauce as you go and adjust the flavors as needed. Enjoy!
6. Tomato Salsa
If you love fresh flavors (and a bit of heat), then you need to try tomato salsa on your jerk chicken!
This vibrant sauce is a great way to add a zesty kick to the Caribbean dish.
Here are some creative twists you can make with tomato salsa:
- Add a few tablespoons of chopped jalapenos for extra heat
- Mix in a tablespoon of honey or agave for a hint of sweetness
- Top with some chopped cilantro and diced red onion for a pop of color
- Try adding a pinch of smoked paprika for a smoky flavor
Pro tip: If you have time, let the salsa sit in the fridge for a few hours before serving so that the flavors can really come alive. Enjoy!
7. Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
If you prefer a milder flavor, Roasted Red Pepper Sauce is the perfect accompaniment to your chicken.
It’s a classic combination that brings out the best in both the sauce and the chicken.
Here are a few creative twists you can try to make:
- Add a hint of honey to the sauce for a sweet kick
- Add a sprinkle of cayenne pepper to the sauce for extra spice
- Mix in some diced bell peppers for a unique flavor
- Top it off with a sprinkle of scallions for a zesty finish
Pro tip: let the sauce sit for a few minutes after adding the spices to allow the flavors to meld together. Enjoy!
8. Chimichurri Sauce
How about some beautiful green color to go with your jerk chicken?
Chimichurri sauce is a classic Argentinian condiment that adds an herby, garlicky punch to any dish.
It’s the perfect complement to the fiery spices found in jerk chicken.
Here are some creative twists you can make to your own chimichurri sauce to add a unique flavor:
- Add a tablespoon of honey to give it a sweet and savory twist
- Mix in some fresh cilantro to give it a unique herbaceous flavor
- For a bit of a kick, add in some red pepper flakes
- Swap out the traditional parsley for some mint to give it a refreshing flavor
Pro tip: If you don’t have all the ingredients on hand, you can always use a chimichurri mix as a base and customize it to your preference. Enjoy!
So fresh, so zesty – tzatziki sauce is the perfect addition to jerk chicken!
It’s Greek in origin, and is traditionally made with yogurt, cucumber, garlic, mint and olive oil.
Here are some creative twists to help you customize this classic sauce:
- Mix in some chopped dill for a punch of flavor
- Add a little honey to balance out the acidity
- Sprinkle in some fresh parsley for a hint of brightness
- Incorporate some freshly squeezed lemon juice for a citrusy kick
Pro tip: Serve the sauce cold for a refreshing finish to your jerk chicken dish!
10. Teriyaki Sauce
Sticky, sweet and full of umami, teriyaki sauce is a classic Asian condiment that’s perfect for marinating and basting jerk chicken.
Here are some fun ways to switch up your jerk chicken game with this versatile sauce:
- Mix teriyaki sauce with your favorite jerk seasonings and use it to marinate the chicken overnight.
- Add a few spoonfuls of teriyaki to your jerk sauce for a sweet and spicy flavor combo.
- Use teriyaki sauce as a basting liquid while grilling or broiling jerk chicken.
Pro tip: If you like your jerk chicken extra saucy, serve it with a side of teriyaki sauce for dipping!
11. Blender Hollandaise
If you have a blender (or access to one), then you should definitely try making a batch of blender hollandaise sauce!
It’s a great way to liven up a variety of dishes, from jerk chicken to eggs benedict.
Here are some creative twists you can add to your sauce:
- Use different types of mustard for an added zing
- Add a pinch of cayenne pepper for a bit of heat
- Use fresh herbs like parsley, oregano, or dill for a flavorful touch
- Add a splash of white wine for a unique twist
My pro tip? When making hollandaise, make sure to add the butter and lemon juice in slowly while blending to ensure the sauce emulsifies properly. With a little bit of practice, you’ll be able to whip up a creamy and delicious batch of blender hollandaise in no time!
12. Salsa Verde
It’s hard to go wrong with salsa verde as a topping for jerk chicken!
This Mexican-style sauce is made with tomatillos, cilantro, lime juice and jalapeños, giving it a flavor that’s both tangy and spicy.
Here are a few creative ways you can use salsa verde to boost the flavor of your jerk chicken:
- Mix it with Greek yogurt for a cool and creamy topping
- Add some diced mango for a zesty, sweet-and-spicy twist
- Stir in fresh pineapple for a fruity and tangy flavor
Pro tip: For an extra kick, add a few drops of hot sauce to your salsa verde!
12 Sauces that Go with Philly Cheesesteak Egg Rolls
12 Easy Sauces that Go with Stuffed Clams
11 Easy Sauces that Go with Lemon Pepper Chicken
What Sauce to Serve with Spanakopita (10 Best Sauces)
12 Easy Sauces that Go with Jerk Chicken
- Romesco Sauce
- Creamy Mushroom Sauce
- Peanut Sauce
- Spinach Pesto
- Creamy Cilantro Sauce
- Tomato Salsa
- Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
- Chimichurri Sauce
- Teriyaki Sauce
- Blender Hollandaise
- Salsa Verde
- Choose any sauce from this list to use for your chicken meal.
- Prepare the ingredients according to the recipe.
- Enjoy in less than 20 minutes!