Let me guess: you want to know what sauce goes with soba noodles.
And before you ask, no, I’m not talking about soy sauce (although that is a perfectly acceptable option).
I’m talking about 8 delicious sauces that will take your soba noodles to the next level.
So, whether you’re looking for something sweet, spicy, or savory, I’ve got you covered.
What Sauce Goes with Soba Noodles? 8 Best Sauces
The right sauce can truly make or break a dish of soba noodles.
A good sauce will enhance the flavor of the noodles and help to bring out their natural sweetness.
On the other hand, a bad sauce can easily overwhelm the delicate flavor of the noodles and leave you with a bland and unappetizing dish.
Fortunately, there are a number of great sauces that pair well with soba noodles.
Here are 8 of the best sauces for soba noodles:
1. Alfredo Sauce
Imagine your soba noodles covered in a thick, creamy, white sauce.
Now, picture it with a crispy chicken on top. drooling yet?
This is what alfredo sauce does to a dish – it makes it heartier, more filling, and infinitely more satisfying.
Alfredo sauce is traditionally made with heavy cream, Parmesan cheese, butter, garlic, and salt.
While this combination is delicious on its own, there are ways you can add more depth of flavor to the sauce.
- One way is to add sautéed mushrooms to the sauce. This will give the sauce a earthy flavor that is still light and fresh.
- Another way to add more flavor is to use roasted garlic instead of regular garlic. The roasting process brings out the natural sweetness of the garlic and gives it a mellower taste.
- Finally, you could also add some green peas to the sauce for a pop of color and additional sweetness.
No matter how you choose to jazz up your alfredo sauce, one thing is for sure – it will make your noodles taste even better!
2. Parmesan Cream Sauce
Parmesan cream sauce is a sauce made with parmesan cheese, milk, and butter.
It is rich and creamy, making it the perfect sauce for any type of noodles.
There are a few ways you can add more flavor to this already delicious sauce.
- One way is to add some garlic when you are sautéing the onions. This will give the sauce a nice depth of flavor.
- Another way to add more flavor is to use chicken broth instead of water when you are making the roux. This will make the sauce more flavorful and hearty.
- Finally, you could also add some red pepper flakes to give the sauce a little bit of heat.
All of these additions would take the flavor of this sauce up a notch!
3. Basil Pesto Sauce
I LOVE pesto.
It adds so much flavor to any dish, and is really versatile.
I like to add pesto to pasta, chicken, fish, rice, quinoa…the list goes on.
But my FAVORITE way to enjoy pesto is with some good quality noodles.
There are a few ways that you can add even more flavor to your noodles with pesto sauce.
- Toasted Pine Nuts: Add some toasted pine nuts on top of your noodles for a little bit of crunch. This also adds a nice nutty flavor.
- Parmesan Cheese: A classic pairing with pesto sauce, parmesan cheese takes the flavors up a notch. I like to grate fresh parmesan cheese on top of my noodles for the best results.
- Sun-Dried Tomatoes: Another great way to add more flavor and depth of flavor is by adding some sun-dried tomatoes. You can either chop them up and mix them in with the sauce or just top the noodles with them.
4. Marinara Sauce
Marinara sauce tastes like fresh tomatoes (yep, even the jarred kind) and herbs.
It’s a classic red sauce that you can find in any Italian restaurant, and it’s one of the most versatile sauces out there.
Here are three ways to add more flavor to your marinara sauce:
- Add some spice with crushed red pepper flakes or a pinch of cayenne powder.
- Stir in some fresh chopped basil or parsley for an extra herby flavor.
- Give it a cheesy boost by stirring in some grated Parmesan cheese.
No matter how you jazz it up, marinara sauce is always delicious – especially when served with a heaping plate of pasta!
5. Italian Arrabbiata Sauce (sugo all’arrabbiata)
Want to go authentic?
Then why not try an arrabbiata sauce with your soba noodles recipe?
This Italian sauce is traditionally made with garlic, tomatoes, and chili peppers.
The name of the dish actually comes from the Italian word for “angry,” which perfectly describes the heat level of this dish.
- If you want to take it up a notch, you can add in some pancetta or sausage.
- If you want to make it a bit creamier, then add in some heavy cream or half and half.
- And if you want to give it a bit more of a zing, then add in a splash of red wine vinegar.
6. Creamy Mushroom Sauce
I can almost already taste this sauce just by reading the ingredients!
This creamy mushroom sauce is going to be so good on top of any type of noodle.
But if you want to add a little bit more flavor, here are three ways to do it:
- Add some garlic. Garlic always adds an extra depth of flavor to anything, and this sauce is no exception. You can mince up a clove or two and add it in when you sauté the mushrooms.
- Use chicken broth instead of water. This will give the sauce a richer flavor and make it more savory overall.
- Stir in some chopped green onions when you’re finished cooking the sauce. They’ll add a nice touch of color and sweetness that takes this dish to the next level.
7. Dijon Mustard Sauce
If you have a jar of leftover Dijon mustard and don’t know what to do with it, then this is the perfect recipe for you!
This sauce is delicious on any type of noodles, and there are 3 ways you can add more flavor to it.
- First, if you want a creamier sauce, then add some milk or cream to thin it out.
- Second, if you want a bit more tanginess, then add some white vinegar.
- And finally, if you want more heat, then add in some crushed red pepper flakes.
This Dijon mustard sauce is so versatile and easy to make.
It’s the perfect way to use up that leftover mustard, and it’s sure to become a new family favorite!
8. Lemon Butter Sauce
Lastly, how about a simple and delicious lemon butter sauce?
This goes great on any type of noodles and can easily be jazzed up with a few additional ingredients.
Here are 3 ways to add more flavor to your lemon butter sauce:
- Add some garlic. This will give the sauce a nice zing and really bring out the flavors.
- If you want a bit of heat, add in some crushed red pepper flakes. Just a little bit will do as this sauce is already quite rich and creamy.
- For an extra touch of luxury, add in some shredded Parmesan cheese right before serving. This will take the dish to another level!
What Sauce Goes with Soba Noodles? 8 Best Sauces
- Alfredo Sauce
- Parmesan Cream Sauce
- Basil Pesto Sauce
- Marinara Sauce
- Italian Arrabbiata Sauce (sugo all'arrabbiata)
- Creamy Mushroom Sauce
- Dijon Mustard Sauce
- Lemon Butter Sauce
- Choose any sauce from this list to pair with your soba noodles recipe.
- Prepare the ingredients according to the recipe.
- Enjoy in no time!