When you know what cheese goes with chimichurri, your dinner will reach new heights of deliciousness.
Rich and zesty chimichurri sauce pairs really well with a number of different cheeses.
From creamy bries to firm cheddars and fresh fetas, there’s no shortage of tasty options for pairing this Argentinian condiment.
To make things easier, I’ve picked out 10 unique types of cheese that pair perfectly with chimichurri—so you can choose the ones that best suit your taste buds!
Whether served on crackers or just eaten alone, these amazing cheeses take classic dishes like steak and grilled vegetables to pro-level flavor territory when coupled with tangy chimichurri sauce.
Dive into my list below and get ready to impress!
In a rush? Here is the short answer:
The best kinds of cheese to pair with chimichurri are feta, manchego, and queso fresco. Feta adds a salty tang while manchego has a nutty flavor that complements the earthiness of the chimichurri. Queso fresco is mild in flavor and brings out the other flavors in the dish.
Let’s explore even more options!
Feta isn’t just for Greek salads!
With its tangy, salty flavor and creamy texture, feta is a great cheese to experiment with in the kitchen.
And when combined with chimichurri it’s even better!
Here are some creative ways to use feta with chimichurri:
- Make a delicious appetizer by wrapping slices of feta with prosciutto, sprinkling them with fresh herbs and drizzling on a generous amount of chimichurri sauce.
- Spread some feta onto crusty bread slices and top with a dollop of chimichurri before baking or grilling – perfect as an accompaniment to your favorite soup or salad.
- Give your omelet an extra boost of flavor by adding crumbled feta mixed together with chopped parsley and fresh oregano stirred into the egg mixture before cooking, then finishing off the dish by spooning over some prepared chimichurri.
With so many different types of Gouda, the flavor can vary depending on how long it’s been aged.
Generally speaking, young Gouda is sweet, mild and a little fudgy while aged Gouda develops more caramel notes, nuttiness and even a little tang.
Here are 3 creative ways to use this cheese with chimichurri:
- Toasted Cheese Sandwiches – Take 2 slices of bread and top with melted gouda cheese and chimichurri sauce for an indulgent treat.
- Baked Potato Topper – Top your baked potato with grated gouda cheese and a generous helping of chimichurri sauce for a flavourful side dish.
- Grilled Cheese Fondue – Cut up pieces of gouda into cubes then dip them in warm chimichurri fondue for an easy appetizer or snack!
How about a safe option of Mozzarella with chimichurri?
This cheese has a mild flavor that pairs perfectly with the garlicky and herby notes of chimichurri.
Here are three creative ways to use this cheese with chimichurri:
- Create an amazing pizza topped with mozzarella, tomatoes, and onions, then drizzle it generously in chimichurri sauce for added flavor.
- Make your own version of quesadillas by filling tortillas with mozzarella and some cooked veggies, then top them off with a spoonful of chimichurri before baking.
- Grill up some sliced mozzarella on the barbecue and serve them as mini burgers or sandwiches topped off with fresh parsley, tomato slices, mayo, and a generous amount of chimichurri sauce.
Parmesan needs no introduction as it is one of the most popular and widely used cheeses in the world.
It has a hard, gritty texture, with a fruity and nutty taste.
It can be eaten on its own as a snack or grated over pastas, soups, risottos, and more!
If you’re looking to use Parmesan cheese with chimichurri sauce for something creative and delicious, here are three ideas:
- Grilled vegetables such as bell peppers, zucchini slices or eggplants topped off with shaved Parmesan cheese and chimichurri sauce make for an amazing side dish.
- For an interesting twist on pizza night – top your favorite pizza dough with mozzarella cheese, roasted mushrooms, and Parmesan before adding a generous dollop of chimichurri sauce.
- A simple yet tasty appetizer idea could be to bake flatbread crackers sprinkled generously with Parmesan cheese then drizzle them in some yummy homemade chimichurri sauce.
Not too strong or overpowering, ricotta cheese has a mild and slightly nutty flavor that pairs well with both sweet and savory dishes.
Its creamy texture is punctuated by tiny granules throughout, making it an excellent addition to sauces and spreadable dishes.
Using ricotta with chimichurri sauce is a great way to add a unique twist to your favorite recipes.
Here are 3 creative ways to use this combination:
- Spread some ricotta on toast and top it off with a generous dollop of chimichurri for an easy breakfast or snack.
- Mix equal parts of ricotta cheese and chimichurri together as a delicious dip for chips, crackers, or veggies!
- Use them in place of mayo in tuna salad sandwiches; the sweetness from the ricotta helps bring out the flavors of the herbs in the chimichurri while adding creaminess at the same time.
6. Goat cheese
Why not go a little outside the box and explore the full flavor potential of goat cheese?
Goat cheese pairs well with sweet, savory, and herby flavors which makes it great for experimenting with different dishes.
Here are three creative ways to use goat cheese in combination with chimichurri:
- Grilled Flatbread– Spread a thin layer of creamy goat cheese on flatbread and top it off with fresh chimichurri sauce. Grill until golden brown for an appetizer that is sure to please!
- Roasted Vegetables– Create a delicious side dish by roasting your favorite vegetables (e.g., bell peppers, zucchini, eggplant or mushrooms). Once cooked through, crumble some soft goat cheese over the top before topping off with chimichurri sauce.
- Stuffed Mushrooms– Start by sautéeing mushrooms in olive oil along with garlic, shallots and herbs like thyme or oregano. Stuff each mushroom cap generously with crumbled goat cheese then sprinkle freshly made chimichurri sauce over the top. Bake until golden and gooey.
7. Cream cheese
Cream cheese has tons of uses – everything from bagels and cheesecakes to savory dishes.
When combined with chimichurri, its delicate flavor is complemented perfectly by the zesty herbiness of the condiment.
Here are three creative ways to use cream cheese with chimichurri:
- Cream Cheese and Chimichurri Grilled Cheese Sandwich: Spread a layer of cream cheese on your favorite bread, top it off with some bubbly melted cheddar or mozzarella slices, then spoon some freshly-made chimichurri over top for a delicious twist on grilled cheese.
- Cream Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms: Stuff cremini mushrooms caps with a mixture of cream cheese mixed with chopped-up herbs like parsley and chives, then bake in the oven until golden brown before topping off each cap with a generous drizzle of homemade chimichurri sauce.
- Chimichurri Dip for Veggies: Whisk together equal parts plain Greek yogurt and softened cream cheese until smooth, then stir in some finely-chopped herbs and a tablespoon of chimichurri for a creamy dip that’s perfect for dunking your favorite crunchy vegetables.
Brie is known for its mild but rich and creamy taste, with a hint of nutty and fruity flavors.
It also has subtle buttery and earthy notes to it.
Brie pairs well with sweet or savory dishes, making it an ideal cheese to use in creative recipes!
Here are three creative ways you can use brie with chimichurri:
- Make a cheesy brie-filled crostini by topping slices of crusty bread with melted brie, then drizzling them generously with chimichurri sauce. Serve as an appetizer or snack.
- Stuff chicken breasts with goat cheese and brie before baking them in the oven for 30 minutes; serve topped with fresh chimichurri sauce on the side for added flavor.
- Create delicious quesadillas by filling whole wheat tortillas with grated brie and cheddar cheese, folding over into half moons, then pan frying until lightly golden brown; top each one off generously with freshly made chimichurri sauce.
I’m sure you’ve heard of Manchego cheese, the famous Spanish sheep’s milk cheese.
It has an intense, zesty taste and a crumbly texture that’s rich, full and slightly salty at the finish.
Even its aroma has been described as special, suggesting roast lamb to some.
Many people love this cheese for its unique flavor profile!
If you’re looking for creative ways to use Manchego with chimichurri sauce, here are three ideas:
- Make a grilled Manchego sandwich with chimichurri spread on each slice of bread – it’ll be like your own delicious version of a cheesesteak!
- Create an appetizer platter featuring crostini topped with slices of Manchego and drizzled with chimichurri sauce.
- Use grated or shredded Manchego in homemade empanadas filled with vegetables and herbs – top them off with a dollop of chimichurri before serving!
10. Blue cheese
If you’re feeling adventurous in the kitchen, blue cheese is an ideal ingredient to use with chimichurri.
The salty and sharp flavor of blue cheese pairs really well with the herby and spicy flavors of chimichurri.
Here are three creative ways to use this cheese with chimichurri:
- Make a Blue Cheese Chimichurri dip – Mix together some crumbled blue cheese with your favorite brand of ready-made chimichurri sauce. Serve it as a dip for chips or vegetables.
- Add Blue Cheese To Your Chimichurri – If you’re making your own homemade version of chimichurri, add some crumbled blue cheese into the mix for an extra kick of flavor.
- Top A Salad With Blue Cheese And Chimichurri – For a light meal that packs lots of flavor, top a simple salad (such as romaine lettuce, cherry tomatoes and sliced onions) with crumbled blue cheese and drizzle over some homemade or store-bought chimichurri sauce.
- What Cheese Goes with Sloppy Joes? (10 Delicious Cheeses)
- What Cheese Goes with Strawberry Jam? (10 Tasty Cheeses)
- What Cheese Goes with Feta? (9 Tasty Cheeses)
- What Cheese Goes with Beef Stroganoff? (10 Tasty Cheeses)
- What Cheese Goes with Beets? (10 Delicious Cheeses)
- What Cheese Goes with Broccoli? (9 Tasty Cheeses)
- What Cheese Goes with Brussel Sprouts? (9 Tasty Cheeses)
- What Cheese Goes with Apple Pie? (10 Tasty Cheeses)
What Cheese Goes with Chimichurri?
- Goat cheese
- Cream cheese
- Blue cheese
- Pick your favorite cheese from this list to use with your Chimichurri.
- Prepare the rest of your delicious meal.
- Enjoy in no time!