Sometimes, it can be tough to know what to serve with pumpkin gnocchi.
After all, it is such a unique and flavorful dish.
But don’t worry, I’m here to help!
I’ve rounded up 9 of the best sauces to serve with pumpkin gnocchi.
Whether you are looking for a creamy sauce, a cheesy sauce, or a tomato-based sauce, there is sure to be something on this list that you’ll love.
So go ahead and give one (or all!) of these sauces a try the next time you make pumpkin gnocchi!
What Sauce to Serve with Pumpkin Gnocchi?
Pumpkin gnocchi pairs well with many different types of sauces, but some of the most popular include brown butter sauce, sage butter sauce, and Alfredo sauce. You can also use a simple tomato sauce or even a cream-based soup as a base.
Still looking for ideas?
Then keep scrolling!
Here are 9 sauces that go well with pumpkin gnocchi:
1. Alfredo Sauce
If you prefer your sauce nicely thick and creamy, then an Alfredo sauce is the way to go.
It’s simple to make, and you can find the recipe online or in most cookbooks.
I like to enhance my Alfredo sauce with a little bit of nutmeg, which goes really well with the pumpkin flavor in the gnocchi.
If you want a bit more of a kick, then you could also add some crushed red pepper flakes to the sauce.
And, if you want to get really fancy, you could garnish the dish with some chopped fresh parsley or sage.
Related post: What Meat Goes with Pumpkin Gnocchi
2. Brown Butter Sage Sauce
This sauce is simpler than it looks and takes almost no time at all to throw together.
- You start by browning the butter, which just means cooking it until it turns a golden brown color and smells nutty.
- Once the butter is browned, you add in some sage leaves and let them fry in the butter for a minute or two.
- Then, you add in the gnocchi and cook according to package directions.
- Once the gnocchi are cooked, you simply toss them with the sage butter sauce and serve.
If you want, you can also add in some Parmesan cheese and crushed red pepper flakes to really take this dish over the top.
Speaking of cheese, click here to learn what cheese goes with pumpkin gnocchi.
3. Italian Tomato Sauce
Italians just know how to make a good tomato sauce, don’t they?
This classic Italian tomato sauce is the perfect accompaniment to pumpkin gnocchi.
It’s simple to make and only requires a few ingredients: tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, salt, and pepper.
Of course, you can always add more herbs and spices to suit your taste.
Some good options include basil, oregano, thyme, or red pepper flakes.
4. Hollandaise Sauce
Hollandaise sauce is a classic creamy sauce that is perfect for so many dishes, including pumpkin gnocchi.
To make this sauce, you will need:
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter over low heat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, lemon juice, cayenne pepper, and salt.
- Slowly add the melted butter to the egg mixture, whisking constantly until well blended.
- Gradually add the heavy cream to the mixture, whisking until the sauce is thick and creamy.
- Serve immediately or keep warm over a double boiler until ready to use.
5. Mustard Garlic Sauce
Something magical happens when you combine garlic and mushrooms, and this mustard garlic sauce is no exception.
The addition of fresh thyme and sage give it an herby depth of flavor, while the dijon mustard adds a nice bit of tang.
It’s the perfect sauce to serve with pumpkin gnocchi, but would also be delicious with any type of pasta or even just some crusty bread.
If you want to make this sauce a little bit richer, you could add in some cream or Parmesan cheese.
I like to keep things on the healthier side, so I usually don’t add either of those things, but it’s totally up to you!
6. Bolognese Sauce
If you want to make sure your meal is extra filling, serve pumpkin gnocchi with a hearty Bolognese sauce.
This classic Italian dish is made with a soffritto of carrots, celery, and onion, which is then simmered with ground beef (traditionally a mix of pork and beef) and tomato paste.
Once the sauce has cooked for a few hours, it’s ready to be served over your gnocchi.
I like to add a little bit of freshly grated Parmesan cheese and some chopped parsley to mine.
You could also add some crushed red pepper flakes if you want a little bit of spice.
7. Pesto Sauce
Remember, pesto comes with a strong flavor, so a little goes a long way.
I like to use about 1/4 cup of pesto for every 1 pound of gnocchi.
If you want to lighten up the sauce, you can add in some chicken or vegetable broth.
Herbs and spices that go well with pesto include basil, oregano, black pepper, and red pepper flakes.
If you want a bit more of a cheesy flavor, you can add in some Parmesan cheese.
8. Creamy Parmesan Mushroom Sauce
This sauce might just be my favorite sauce of all time.
It’s creamy, dreamy, and loaded with mushrooms and Parmesan cheese.
Plus, it’s super easy to make and only takes a few minutes.
I like to use it on pumpkin gnocchi, but it would also be amazing on regular gnocchi, pasta, or even chicken.
To make the sauce, you’ll need: 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1/2 onion (diced), 1 garlic clove (minced), 8 ounces mushrooms (sliced), 1/4 cup dry white wine, 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth, 1/2 cup heavy cream, 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper to taste.
Here’s how to make it:
- Start by heating the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook until softened.
- Add the mushrooms and cook until browned.
- Pour in the white wine and let it cook for a minute or two.
- Add the broth and cream and bring to a simmer.
- Stir in the Parmesan cheese until melted.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve over pumpkin gnocchi or your favorite pasta dish.
9. Peppercorn Sauce
Why not try something different this year and serve your pumpkin gnocchi with a peppercorn sauce?
It’s easy to make and only requires a few ingredients: heavy cream, crushed peppercorns, Parmesan cheese, and butter.
- To make the sauce, simply combine the cream, peppercorns, Parmesan cheese, and butter in a saucepan over low heat.
- Stir until the cheese is melted and the sauce is smooth.
If you want to spice up the sauce, you can add a pinch of cayenne pepper or red chili flakes.
For an extra touch of flavor, try stirring in some chopped fresh sage or thyme leaves.
What Sauce to Serve with Pumpkin Gnocchi? (9 Sauces)
- Alfredo Sauce
- Brown Butter Sage Sauce
- Italian Tomato Sauce
- Hollandaise Sauce
- Mustard Garlic Sauce
- Bolognese Sauce
- Pesto Sauce
- Creamy Parmesan Mushroom Sauce
- Peppercorn Sauce
- Pick any sauce from this article to serve with your gnocchi.
- Prepare the ingredients according to the recipe.
- Serve in no time!