Honey mustard chicken is a delicious, easy, and somewhat healthy weeknight dinner.
But what vegetables go with honey mustard chicken?
I’m sharing my 15 favorite veggies and veggie sides to serve with this tasty chicken recipe.
From roasted vegetables to salads, there is something for everyone on this list!
What Vegetables Go with Honey Mustard Chicken?
You can serve many vegetables with honey mustard chicken. Some good options include carrots, green beans, broccoli, and cauliflower. For a starch, serve with rice, quinoa, or pasta. A salad is also a good option to round out the meal.
When you think of honey mustard chicken, the first thing that comes to mind is likely the sauce.
But what about the vegetables?
The sauce pairs well with a variety of different vegetables, and it’s easy to make your meal more interesting by adding some new textures and flavors.
Here are 15 vegetables that go well with honey mustard chicken:
Asparagus can be cooked in many different ways, but some of my favorites are roasted, sauteed, or grilled.
All of these methods bring out the natural sweetness of the asparagus, which pairs well with the honey mustard chicken.
To add a little bit of extra flavor, I like to sprinkle on some Parmesan cheese, lemon juice, or garlic.
Asparagus is a versatile vegetable that can be enjoyed in many different ways.
Broccoli is known for being a healthy vegetable option, but it can also be a delicious side dish.
When paired with honey mustard chicken, broccoli takes on a whole new flavor.
Here are three of my favorite broccoli side dish recipes to accompany this meal:
1. Roasted Broccoli with Parmesan: This dish is simple to make and only requires a few ingredients. First, broccoli is roasted in the oven with olive oil, garlic, and salt. Then, it is topped with freshly grated Parmesan cheese. The result is a crispy, cheesy side dish that is hard to resist.
2. Sautéed Broccoli with Garlic and Lemon: This dish is a bit more flavorful than the roasted broccoli. It is made by sautéing the broccoli in a pan with garlic, olive oil, and lemon juice. This gives the broccoli a zesty flavor that goes well with the honey mustard chicken.
3. Broccoli Salad: This salad is a great option if you are looking for something light and refreshing. It is made with broccoli, grapes, bacon, and a homemade honey mustard dressing. This salad is perfect for a summer barbecue or picnic.
There are many other ways to prepare broccoli as a side dish.
You can add different herbs and spices to give it more flavor.
One of my favorite ways to add extra flavor to broccoli is to roast it with garlic and balsamic vinegar.
This gives the broccoli a sweet and tangy flavor that is irresistible.
Carrots not only add beautiful color to a plate, but they are also a delicious and healthy way to add some extra veggies to your meal.
I love pairing carrots with honey mustard chicken because the sweetness of the carrots pairs so well with the tangy sauce.
Here are three of my favorite recipes for carrots as a side dish:
1. Garlic Roasted Carrots: Toss carrots with olive oil and garlic, then roast in a hot oven until they are fork-tender. So simple, yet so delicious!
2. Honey Glazed Carrots: Another great way to highlight the sweetness of carrots is to glaze them with honey. Simply cook the carrots in a bit of water until tender, then toss with honey and a touch of butter.
3. Curried Carrots: For a bit of extra flavor, try curry carrots. Sauté carrots in a bit of oil, then add your favorite curry powder and cook until the carrots are coated and fragrant.
Corn is known for having some sweetness to it, so I think it would go really well with honey mustard chicken.
You could even add a little honey to the corn to really make the flavors pop.
Here are three side dish recipes that would be perfect for this meal:
1. Corn on the cob: This is a classic side dish that is simple to make and can be easily customized to your liking.
2. Roasted corn: Roasting corn brings out its natural sweetness and is a great way to add some extra flavor to your meal.
3. Corn salad: This is a light and refreshing side dish that is perfect for summer. It can be made with any type of corn, including roasted corn, and is a great way to use up any leftover corn you might have.
Cucumbers can be bland on their own, but they make a great base for a variety of flavor profiles.
I personally love them in a honey mustard chicken dish.
To make this dish, simply slice up some cucumbers and add them to your chicken along with some honey mustard dressing.
You can also add other ingredients like diced onion or shredded carrots to give the dish more depth of flavor.
One of my favorite ways to add extra flavor to this side dish is to sprinkle on some dried dill weed.
This herb goes really well with cucumbers and chicken and really brings out the flavor of the dish.
These round little green guys are a classic side dish for a reason – they are delicious!
Plus, they are so versatile.
Here are three pea recipes that would go well with honey mustard chicken:
1. Sautéed Peas with Garlic and Shallots – This dish is simple but so flavorful. Plus, it’s a great way to get your veggies in!
2. Pea and Mint Soup – This soup is light but filling, and the mint adds a lovely touch of flavor.
3. Creamed Peas – This is a classic comfort food that is sure to please.
Other ingredients you could add to this meal include:
- Green beans
One of my favorite ways to add extra flavor to this side dish is to use fresh or frozen peas.
If you can find them, use fresh peas.
They have a much sweeter flavor than frozen peas.
If you can’t find fresh peas, don’t worry – frozen peas will work just fine.
Potatoes are one of the most popular veggies and they can be made into so many delicious side dishes!
Some of my favorites are roasted potatoes, mashed potatoes, and potato salad.
- To make roasted potatoes, simply wash and chop your potatoes into bite-sized pieces. Then, toss them in olive oil and your favorite seasonings. I like to add garlic, salt, and pepper. Spread them out on a baking sheet and roast in a preheated oven for about 25 minutes.
- For mashed potatoes, start by boiling the potatoes until they are soft. Then, mash them with some butter, milk, and salt to taste. You can also add in other herbs and spices like garlic, onion, and chives.
- Potato salad is another great option and it’s perfect for picnics or potlucks. Just boil the potatoes and then mix them with mayo, mustard, diced celery, and diced onion. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
There are so many delicious ways to enjoy potatoes!
There are many different kinds of squash, but my personal favorite is acorn squash.
It has a delicate, sweet flavor that pairs perfectly with honey mustard chicken.
To make this dish, simply roast the squash in the oven with a little bit of olive oil and sea salt.
You can also add other vegetables to the mix, like Brussels sprouts or carrots.
For an extra bit of flavor, try drizzling the squash with a bit of balsamic vinegar before serving.
9. Sweet Potatoes
If you don’t want to use regular potatoes for your honey mustard chicken, sweet potatoes are a great alternative.
You can make roasted sweet potatoes, mashed sweet potatoes, or sweet potato fries.
All of these recipes are easy to make and only require a few ingredients.
- The roasted version is my personal favorite. I simply slice the sweet potatoes into thin wedges, toss them with olive oil and sea salt, and bake them in a 400 degree oven for 20-25 minutes. They come out crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside.
- If you’re looking for a healthier option, mashed sweet potatoes are a great choice. You can either steam or bake the sweet potatoes, and then mash them with a little bit of butter, milk, and salt to taste.
- If you want something a little more fun, sweet potato fries are always a good option. Cut the sweet potatoes into thin fry shapes, toss with olive oil and sea salt, and bake in a 400 degree oven for 20-25 minutes. You can dip them in ketchup, honey mustard, or any other sauce you like.
I love the sweetness of honey mustard chicken, and it pairs really well with tomatoes.
Three of my favorite side dishes to make with this meal are roasted tomatoes, sauteed tomatoes, and tomato soup.
Other ingredients you can add to this meal include potatoes, carrots, and onions.
One of my favorite ways to add extra flavor to the roasted tomatoes is to drizzle them with balsamic vinegar before roasting.
Why not make some zucchini fritters to go along with your honey mustard chicken?
- They’re easy to make and only require a few ingredients that you probably already have in your kitchen. Just shred some zucchini, mix it with some eggs and flour, and fry it up in a pan. You can also add some shredded cheese to the mix for extra flavor.
- If you’re looking for something a little healthier, you could try grilling or roasting some zucchini. Just slice it up, drizzle it with olive oil, and season it with salt and pepper. It’s a simple side dish that goes well with just about anything.
- Finally, one of my favorite ways to make zucchini is to fry it up with some garlic and Parmesan cheese. It’s a bit more effort than the other two methods, but it’s definitely worth it. Just slice up the zucchini, fry it in a pan with some olive oil, and then add the garlic and Parmesan.
Cauliflower is super healthy and versatile.
You can roast it, mashed it, or even fry it.
It goes great with honey mustard chicken, and you can add other veggies to the dish too.
One of my favorite ways to add extra flavor to cauliflower is to roast it with some garlic.
Eggplant is known for its moist texture and spongy consistency.
It’s a great vegetable to use as a side dish because it absorbs flavors well.
I like to roast eggplant with olive oil and sea salt.
This brings out a slightly sweet flavor.
Another great way to prepare eggplant is by grilling it.
This gives it a smoky flavor that goes well with chicken.
Lastly, you can fry eggplant.
This gives it a crispy texture on the outside and a soft, creamy texture on the inside.
I like to add garlic, onion, and red pepper flakes to my fried eggplant for an extra kick of flavor.
Whether you choose to make stuffed mushrooms, honey mustard mushrooms, or garlic mushrooms, they are sure to be a hit as a side dish with your honey mustard chicken.
15. Bell Peppers
These peppers are known for their beautiful color and juicy texture.
They are the perfect addition to any meal, but they especially pair well with honey mustard chicken.
Some of my favorite recipes that include bell peppers are roasted bell peppers with balsamic vinegar, sauteed bell peppers and onions, and stuffed bell peppers.
Other ingredients that you could add to this meal include garlic, olive oil, and salt.
One of my favorite ways to add extra flavor to this side dish is to roast the bell peppers in the oven.
This brings out their natural sweetness and makes them even more delicious.
What Vegetables Go with Honey Mustard Chicken? (15 Veggies)
- Sweet Potatoes
- Bell Peppers
- Pick your favorite vegetable-based side dish from this list to serve with your chicken.
- Prepare the ingredients according to the recipe.
- Enjoy in less than 20 minutes!