Onion jam is a delicious and versatile condiment that can be enjoyed with a variety of cheeses.
But it can be hard to know which cheese to choose to best complement the jam.
So that’s what we’ll be discussing today.
7 Cheeses that Go Well with Onion Jam
The right cheese can make all the difference when enjoying onion jam.
The wrong cheese can overwhelm the delicate flavors of the jam or simply taste bland.
But the right cheese will enhance the flavors of the jam and create a truly delicious and memorable experience.
Now, on to the cheeses:
Brie is a mild cheese with a creamy texture and a hint of sweetness.
When paired with onion jam, the sweetness of the jam will bring out the natural sweetness of the brie.
The two flavors will complement each other perfectly.
The jam will also add a sticky, sweet, jam-like consistency to the cheese, which will make it even more delicious.
Here are 3 ways to enjoy this pairing:
- Serve brie with onion jam on a crusty baguette.
- Spread onion jam on crackers and top with brie.
- Enjoy a small plate of brie and onion jam as a sweet and savory snack.
One of my favorite things about onion jam is how well it pairs with cheese.
The sweetness of the jam brings out the natural sweetness in the cheese, while the acidity of the vinegar helps to balance the richness of the cheese.
Camembert is a perfect example of a cheese that goes well with onion jam.
The mild flavor of the cheese lets the jam shine, while the creamy texture pairs perfectly with the sticky consistency of the jam.
If you’re not sure how to pair these two together, I would suggest trying a simple grilled cheese sandwich with onion jam.
The sweetness of the jam will complement the salty flavor of the cheese, and the creaminess of the cheese will help to offset the acidity of the vinegar.
Trust me, it’s a winning combination.
My husband and I recently discovered onion jam and we are absolutely hooked.
We’ve tried it with a variety of cheeses, and our favorite by far is chevre.
The soft, creamy texture of the cheese pairs perfectly with the sticky, sweet consistency of the jam, and the mild buttery flavor of the cheese complements the jam’s tartness perfectly.
We highly recommend giving this pairing a try!
I usually serve this dish with a simple baguette, but it would also be delicious with crackers or crudites.
If you’re feeling adventurous, you could even try it with a grilled cheese sandwich.
Trust me, you won’t be disappointed.
I know what you’re thinking.
Roquefort and jam?
It sounds strange, but trust me, it works.
The sweetness of the jam helps to offset the tanginess of the cheese, while the creaminess of the Roquefort pairs perfectly with the jam’s sticky, jam-like consistency.
And because Roquefort is a crumbly cheese, it’s easy to spread on top of the jam, making for a perfect bite every time.
Here are 5 ways to enjoy Roquefort and onion jam:
- On a crusty baguette
- On top of a grilled steak
- In a savory omelet
- As a dip for fresh vegetables
- On a cheese plate with other tangy cheeses
I know that not all people enjoy a strong smelling cheese like Gorgonzola, but I think its unique taste is perfect for pairing with onion jam.
The sweetness of the jam will help to offset the sharpness of the cheese, and the creaminess of the cheese will complement the sticky, jam-like consistency of the jam.
If you’re looking for a cheese that will really stand out when served with onion jam, Gorgonzola is a great choice.
I do however recommend serving the jam and cheese on separate crackers or bread slices, as the strong smell of the cheese can be a bit overwhelming if you pile everything on one cracker!
The next cheese on this list is Gruyere, which has a rich, creamy, salty, and nutty flavor.
This cheese would go well with onion jam because its sturdy, semihard texture can stand up to the jam’s sticky, sweet, jam-like consistency.
Gruyere also melts easily, so it would be a good option for those who want a cheesy dipping sauce for their onion jam.
I usually make a big batch of onion jam at the beginning of fall and then enjoy it throughout the season on all sorts of things: crackers and bread, grilled meats, roasted vegetables.
But one of my favorite ways to enjoy onion jam is with a nice hunk of Gruyere cheese.
The sweetness of the jam is the perfect complement to the rich, nutty flavor of the cheese, and I love the way the two textures play off of each other.
So if you’re looking for a cheese to serve with your onion jam, Gruyere is a great option.
Here are 5 creative ways to enjoy these two delicious foods together:
- Slather some onion jam on a piece of Gruyere and grilled it until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Serve on a crusty piece of bread for a delicious and easy grilled cheese sandwich.
- Mix onion jam and Gruyere together and spread it on a puff pastry sheet. Cut into small squares and bake until the pastry is flaky and golden brown. Serve as appetizers at your next party.
- Make a savory tart by spreading onion jam on a pre-baked tart shell and topping with Gruyere cheese and thinly sliced onions. Bake until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Mix onion jam and Gruyere together and use it as a dip for roasted vegetables or chips.
- Make a sweet and savory grilled cheese by spreading onion jam on one side of bread and Gruyere cheese on the other. Grill until the cheese is melted and the bread is golden and crispy. Serve with a cup of soup or salad for a complete meal.
Cheddar is a versatile cheese that can be used in many different dishes.
When it comes to onion jam, cheddar is a great option because it is slightly buttery and has a bit of sweetness to it.
This combination will help to offset the sweetness of the jam, while the earthy notes in the cheddar will complement the onion flavor.
My husband prefers a more pungent onion jam, so I would go for an aged cheddar. The sharpness of the cheddar will help to cut through the sweetness of the jam, while the nutty flavor will add an extra layer of depth to the dish.
Here are 5 creative ways to enjoy these two flavors together:
- Cheddar and Onion Jam Grilled Cheese: This classic sandwich gets a twist with the addition of sweet and sticky onion jam.
- Cheddar and Onion Jam Crostini: Top crispy baguette slices with creamy cheddar and a spoonful of onion jam for an easy appetizer.
- Cheddar and Onion Jam Tart: This savory tart is perfect for a light lunch or as an appetizer.
- Cheddar and Onion Jam Pizza: This unique pizza combines two classic flavor combinations – cheddar and onion – for a delicious and easy to make meal.
- Cheddar and Onion Jam Quesadilla: A simple quesadilla is taken to the next level with the addition of sweet and savory onion jam.
No matter which way you enjoy them, cheddar and onion jam is a delicious and easy to make combination that is sure to please.
7 Cheeses that Go Well with Onion Jam
- Pick any cheese from this list to serve with your jam.
- Prepare the rest of your snack.
- Enjoy in no time!