If you’re wondering what sauces go with chicken breast, well, you’ve come to the right place.
I’ve got 11 delicious sauces that will perfectly complement your next chicken dish.
And trust me, your friends and family will be impressed.
So go ahead and give one (or all) of these a try!
What Sauce Goes with Chicken Breast?
The best sauce for chicken breast is a creamy sauce like Alfredo, or a tomato-based sauce like marinara. You can also go for a lighter option like lemon garlic butter sauce, or a more indulgent option like bacon jam.
Chicken breast is so versatile and can be cooked in endless ways, but sometimes it can be difficult to decide what sauce to pair it with.
Here are three things you should consider when choosing a sauce for your chicken breast:
- The Flavor of the Chicken Breast: If you’re using a boneless, skinless chicken breast, it will have a milder flavor than a chicken breast with the bone and skin still attached. This means that you’ll want to choose a sauce with bolder flavors so that it doesn’t get lost. Conversely, if you’re using a chicken breast with the bone and skin still attached, you’ll want to choose a sauce with more delicate flavors so as not to overwhelm the taste of the chicken.
- The Texture of the Chicken Breast: Chicken breast can be cooked in many different ways – grilled, baked, sautéed, etc. – and each cooking method will result in a different texture. For example, grilling or baking will result in a drier chicken breast, while sautéing will result in a moister chicken breast. Consider the texture of the chicken breast when choosing your sauce so that the two complement each other well.
- The Other Ingredients in Your Dish: In addition to considering the flavor and texture of your chicken breast, you also need to think about what other ingredients will be in your dish. If you’re making a simple dish with just chicken and rice, you might want to go for something like a tomato-based sauce or something with lots of veggies. But if you’re making something like Chicken Parmesan where there’s already plenty going on flavor-wise, you might want to keep it simple with just some marinara sauce or even just some olive oil and garlic.
With that said, here are 11 sauces that go well with chicken breast:
1. Alfredo Sauce
This sauce is thick, creamy, and just a little bit cheesy.
It’s the perfect sauce to smother chicken breasts in, and there are a few ways you can add even more flavor to it.
- One way is to add some sauteed garlic and onion to the sauce. This will give it a nice depth of flavor.
- Another way is to stir in some sun-dried tomatoes. This will give the sauce a little sweetness and acidity that pairs well with chicken.
- Lastly, you could stir in some cooked spinach leaves. This will not only add color and nutrition, but also a nice earthiness that really rounds out the flavors in the sauce.
2. BBQ Sauce
Most people opt for the store-bought variety of BBQ sauce, but it is so easy to make at home!
The great thing about making your own BBQ sauce is that you can control the level of sweetness, smokiness, and spice.
Here are three ways to add more flavor to your BBQ sauce:
- For a sweeter BBQ sauce, add in some honey or brown sugar.
- If you want a smokier flavor, try adding in smoked paprika or chipotle powder.
- To spice things up, add in some cayenne pepper or diced jalapeños.
3. Basil Pesto
Most people LOVE the combination of chicken and basil pesto sauce.
It’s a classic for a reason!
The chicken is juicy and flavorful, and the pesto is bright and herby.
But if you’re looking to add a little something extra to your dish, here are three ways to do it:
- Add some diced tomatoes to the mix. This will give the dish a little sweetness and acidity, which will balance out the rich flavors of the chicken and pesto.
- If you want a bit more of a kick, add some red pepper flakes to the pesto sauce. This will give it a nice heat without being overwhelming.
- For an extra boost of flavor, try roasting the chicken before adding it to the dish. This will give it a lovely char and smoky flavor that will really stand out against the pesto sauce.
4. Béchamel Sauce
I know it sounds odd – chicken and a creamy white sauce.
But trust me, it works!
Béchamel is a French sauce made from a roux of butter and flour, to which milk is added.
It’s used in all sorts of dishes like lasagna and macaroni and cheese.
- To make it more flavorful, you can add some shredded Gruyere cheese to the sauce. This will give it a nice sharp flavor.
- You could also add sauteed mushrooms or roasted red peppers. Both of these will give the sauce more body and depth of flavor.
- Finally, if you want to spice it up a bit, you could add a pinch of cayenne pepper or nutmeg.
So there you have it – three easy ways to dress up plain old Béchamel sauce and turn it into something special that will complement your chicken breast perfectly.
5. Creamy Tomato Sauce (Vodka Sauce)
Ah, creamy tomato sauce. It’s the perfect balance of sweet and savory, and it goes so well with chicken breast.
But how can you add more flavor to it?
Here are 3 ways:
- Add some spice with red pepper flakes or a pinch of cayenne pepper.
- Give it a smoky flavor with a teaspoon of smoked paprika.
- Make it extra creamy by stirring in some heavy cream or half-and-half.
6. Garlic Butter Sauce
Garlicky, buttery, and oh-so delicious, this garlic butter sauce is a winner!
It’s perfect for dipping chicken breast in, and there are 3 easy ways to add even more flavor to it:
- Add some chopped fresh parsley or chives for a pop of color and freshness.
- Stir in a teaspoon or two of your favorite hot sauce for an extra kick.
- For a cheesy twist, stir in some grated Parmesan cheese.
This garlic butter sauce is so versatile and easy to make, you’ll want to put it on everything!
7. Honey Mustard Sauce
My family loves this honey mustard sauce recipe with chicken breast, and there are 3 ways you can add even more flavor to it.
- First, if you want a little bit of a spicy kick, add in some cayenne pepper or hot sauce to the mixture.
- Second, for a creamier sauce, you can add in some sour cream or Greek yogurt.
- And finally, if you want to add a little zing, mix in some freshly squeezed lemon juice.
All of these additions will take an already delicious sauce and make it even tastier.
Give them a try the next time you make this dish!
8. Lemon Garlic Butter Sauce
Lemony, garlicky, and buttery goodness all in one!
This delicious sauce is perfect for chicken breast, and here are three ways to add even more flavor:
- For a bit of spice, add some red pepper flakes to the sauce.
- If you want a creamier sauce, add in some heavy cream or half and half.
- For extra garlic flavor, roast the garlic cloves before adding them to the sauce.
This sauce is so versatile and can be used in so many different ways. Get creative and experiment with different flavors to find your favorite!
9. Marinara Sauce
Most people love this classic Italian sauce, but sometimes it can be a little boring.
Here are three ways you can add more flavor to your marinara sauce and make it even tastier!
- Add some spice with red pepper flakes or a pinch of cayenne pepper.
- Give it a smoky flavor with a bit of smoked paprika.
- Make it sweeter with a touch of honey or brown sugar.
10. Mushroom Sauce
Mushroom sauce has been a dear friend of chicken breast for quite some time now.
This particular sauce can be made in a wide variety of ways, all of which result in a unique and delicious dish.
- Use fresh mushrooms: This will give the sauce a earthy flavor that is unparalleled. You can use any type of fresh mushroom you like. Just make sure to slice them thinly so they cook evenly.
- Use dried porcini mushrooms: These mushrooms pack a real flavorful punch. Soak them in warm water for about 20 minutes before using them in the sauce. This will help to rehydrate them and release their flavors.
- Use white wine: This will brighten up the flavors of the sauce and give it a touch of acidity. Just make sure not to use too much or it will become too overpowering. A good rule of thumb is to start with 1/4 cup and then adjust from there according to your taste preferences.
11. Soy Sauce
Soy sauce is super easy to make and can be used as a dipping sauce or a marinade.
To make it more flavorful, you can:
- add some garlic
- throw in some ginger
- put in a dash of sesame oil
These three ingredients will take the flavor of your soy sauce to the next level!
What Sauce Goes with Chicken Breast? (11 Easy Sauces)
- Alfredo Sauce
- BBQ Sauce
- Basil Pesto
- Béchamel Sauce
- Creamy Tomato Sauce (Vodka Sauce)
- Garlic Butter Sauce
- Honey Mustard Sauce
- Lemon Garlic Butter Sauce
- Marinara Sauce
- Mushroom Sauce
- Soy Sauce
- Pick your favorite sauce from this list to serve with your chicken breast.
- Prepare the ingredients according to the recipe.
- Enjoy in no time!