Kalua pork is a Hawaiian dish that marries the sweetness of pork with the smokiness of the kalua method of cooking.
To make this traditional dish even more delicious, you can add a variety of sauces to enhance the flavors.
From creamy, to tangy and spicy, these 10 best sauces for kalua pork are sure to take your taste buds on a culinary journey!
1. Pineapple Sweet Chili Sauce
If you like tropical flavors and a hint of heat, Pineapple Sweet Chili Sauce is the perfect condiment for your pork dish.
It offers a delicious balance of sweet, savory, and spicy that brings out the natural flavors of the pork.
Here are some creative ways to use it:
- Use it as a marinade for grilled pork chops.
- Drizzle it over roasted pork tenderloin.
- Brush it over pork kebabs before grilling.
- Use it as a dipping sauce for fried pork chunks.
And here’s a pro tip: if you find the sauce too spicy, add a teaspoon of honey to mellow it out. Enjoy!
2. Hoisin Sauce
Hoisin sauce needs no introduction.
It’s a Chinese-style sauce that adds a sweet, savory, and spicy flavor to pork dishes.
Whether you’re looking to make this classic dish even more delicious or spice up your pork chops, hoisin sauce is the perfect solution.
Here are some creative ways to use it:
Mix it with maple syrup for a sweet and salty sensation
- Add a few tablespoons to your marinade for an extra kick
- Stir fry it with diced pork and vegetables for a full-flavored meal
- Make a pork wrap with hoisin sauce and fresh vegetables
Pro tip: When using hoisin sauce, start with a small amount and add more as needed – a little goes a long way!
3. Plum Sauce
Fresh plums, soy sauce and Asian spices make plum sauce the perfect pairing for pork. Not only does it bring out the natural sweetness of the meat, but it also adds a delicious depth of flavor.
Here are some creative twists you can make with plum sauce:
• Add a spicy kick: mix in some fresh ginger, garlic, and chili peppers
• Make it sweet and savory: add a bit of honey and balsamic vinegar
• Get creative: try adding some chopped walnuts for an extra crunchy texture
Pro Tip: If you’re looking for an extra special touch, try grilling your pork with the plum sauce already on it. The sauce will caramelize and create an amazing flavor that you won’t soon forget.
4. Smoky Chipotle BBQ Sauce
This smoky bbq sauce recipe is fantastic for adding a spicy, smoky flavor to your pork dishes.
Not only does it have a deep, complex flavor, but it also has a great kick of heat that helps to bring out the umami-rich qualities of the pork.
Here are some creative ways to use this sauce in your cooking:
- Mix it with mayo for an easy sandwich spread
- Add it to a stir-fry for a smoky, Asian-inspired flavor
- Cook it down with some apple cider vinegar for a sweet and tangy glaze
- Spoon it over grilled pork chops for an instant flavor boost
Pro tip: Make sure you always have some extra sauce on hand! You can use it as a marinade, a dip, or just as a topping when you want to add an extra kick of flavor.
5. Mango Salsa
Juicy mangoes, lime juice, onions, jalapeno peppers and cilantro (I mean, what’s not to love?) make up the perfect accompaniment to any pork dish – mango salsa.
This sweet and spicy salsa brings out the savory notes of pork, while brightening up the whole dish.
If you want to spice up your mango salsa, here are some creative twists to try:
- Add some diced tomatoes for a juicy kick
- Mix in chopped pineapple for a sweet and tangy flavor
- Stir in some minced garlic for a garlicky flavor
- Add a splash of orange juice for a citrusy twist
- Sprinkle in some chili powder for a smoky, spicy kick
My pro tip for making the best mango salsa ever: let it sit for a few hours before serving so all the flavors can meld together and create a delicious medley of tropical flavors. Enjoy!
6. Jalapeno Apricot Sauce
How about a sweet and spicy sauce perfect for using as a barbecue glaze or topping on your pork dish?
Jalapeno Apricot Sauce is the perfect way to take your meal to the next level.
This sauce has a combination of smoky, sweet flavors that pair perfectly with pork.
Here are some creative twists you can make to this sauce:
- Add a bit of honey to make it sweeter
- Combine it with a bit of garlic powder for a garlicky kick
- Substitute the apricot for mango for a tropical twist
- Add a bit of balsamic vinegar for a tangy flavor
Pro tip: If you want to use it as a glaze, reduce the sauce in a pan to make it thicker. Enjoy!
7. Teriyaki Sauce
This sauce is perfect for stir fry recipes, marinades, and even as a dipping sauce.
Teriyaki sauce is a sweet and savory mix of soy sauce, sugar, sake, and mirin that is perfect for adding a hint of Japanese flavor to your dish.
Even better, it’s easy to customize to make it unique.
Here are some creative twists you can make:
- Add a few drops of sesame oil for a nutty flavor
- Mix in some chili sauce for a spicy kick
- Stir in grated ginger for a citrusy flavor
- Blend in some pineapple juice for a tropical twist
Pro tip: If you want to make a thicker teriyaki sauce, add a tablespoon of cornstarch to the mix. This will help the sauce thicken and cling to your kalua pork. Enjoy!
8. Sweet and Sour Sauce
Everybody knows about this sauce – Sweet and Sour Sauce.
It’s a classic, and one that you can’t go wrong with when it comes to Kalua pork.
It has the perfect balance of sweetness and tartness, giving you a delicious combination of flavors.
Here are a few creative twists to make this sauce even more special:
- Add a touch of garlic and ginger to give it an extra kick
- Use pineapple juice instead of white vinegar, for a more tropical flavor
- Add a bit of honey or brown sugar for a richer taste
- Mix in a bit of fresh cilantro for a unique twist
My pro tip for making the perfect Sweet and Sour Sauce is to let the sauce simmer for a few minutes, to really let the flavors blend together. This will help bring out the full flavor of the sauce and make it even more delicious!
9. Honey-Garlic Sauce
Honey garlic sauce only requires a couple ingredients, yet it packs a big punch of flavor.
It’s the perfect accompaniment to kalua pork, a classic dish with a distinct smoky flavor.
Here are a few twist on the classic honey garlic sauce to take your kalua pork to the next level:
- Try adding a tablespoon of dijon mustard to the sauce for a hint of tangy spice
- Mix in a tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce for a savory depth of flavor
- Add a pinch of cayenne pepper for a kick of heat
Pro tip: For an extra special homemade touch, try substituting honey with local, seasonal honey for a unique flavor.
10. Curry-Coconut Sauce
Make this delicious sweet coconut curry sauce and use it for whatever pork cut you have on hand.
It’s a perfect blend of sweet and savory that will make your kalua pork sing.
To get a truly unique flavor, you can try these twists:
- Add a bit of lime juice and fresh cilantro
- Swap out the coconut milk for almond milk
- Add a sprinkle of garam masala
- Mix in some diced pineapple
For an extra layer of flavor, try frying the pork in a pan with some garlic and ginger before you add the sauce. The combination of the spices and the sauce will create a flavor that’s out of this world. Enjoy!
10 Best Sauces for Kalua Pork
- Pineapple Sweet Chili Sauce
- Hoisin Sauce
- Plum Sauce
- Smoky Chipotle BBQ Sauce
- Mango Salsa
- Jalapeno Apricot Sauce
- Teriyaki Sauce
- Sweet and Sour Sauce
- Honey-Garlic Sauce
- Curry-Coconut Sauce
- Pick your favorite sauce from this list to serve with your kalua pork.
- Prepare the ingredients according to the recipe.
- Enjoy in no time!