Knowing what sauce to serve with spanakopita tends to be a challenge for many.
The classic Greek dish, which is a savory pastry filled with spinach and cheese, is a delicious staple in many households.
But it can be difficult to determine which sauce will bring out the flavors of the spanakopita and make it even more delectable.
In this post, we’ll explore some of the best sauces to serve with spanakopita so you can make your next meal an unforgettable one.
Flavorful and delicious, tzatziki sauce is the perfect accompaniment to spanakopita.
It’s a classic Greek sauce that combines creamy yogurt, cucumber, and garlic, which gives it a tart and tangy flavor.
Here are a few creative twists you can make to this classic sauce:
- Add some lemon juice and fresh dill for a zesty kick
- Mix in some diced red onion and shredded carrots for a veggie-packed twist
- Stir in some chopped olives and capers for a briny addition
- Try blending in some feta cheese for a salty, creamy flavor
Pro tip: To make this sauce even more flavorful, try roasting the garlic before adding it to the tzatziki!
2. Easy & Healthy Homemade Tartar Sauce
Made with tart Greek yogurt, a splash of lemon, and lots of zesty dill pickles, this easy and healthy homemade tartar sauce is the perfect addition to spanakopita.
Not only does this creamy condiment add a tangy flavor to the dish, but you can also mix in some fun and creative twists to make it your own.
Here are a few ideas:
- Add a spoonful of capers for a briny kick
- Mix in some chopped olives for a Mediterranean-style twist
- Add a spoonful of horseradish for a spicy kick
- Toss in some diced jalapenos for a spicy and smoky flavor
Pro-tip: If you don’t want to make your own tartar sauce, you can always use store-bought mayonnaise as a great alternative. It’ll add a creamy texture and mild flavor to the dish.
3. Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
How about something unique and delicious to pair with your next spanakopita?
Roasted Red Pepper Sauce is a great choice.
It adds a rich, smoky flavor to the earthy, buttery notes of the spanakopita.
Plus, there are so many creative twists you can make to this sauce to make it truly yours.
Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Add a dash of cumin for a smoky-sweet flavor
- Mix in some feta cheese for a tangy flavor
- Stir in some freshly-chopped parsley for a bit of color
- Try adding some garlic for an extra kick
My pro tip? Roast the red peppers yourself for an even deeper flavor. It’s an extra step but it’s worth it when you get to enjoy the amazing taste of freshly-roasted red peppers.
4. Creamy Avocado Crema
Anything creamy and I’m all in, especially when it comes to sauces.
Avocado Crema is no exception!
It’s creamy, savory, and adds a delicious zing to whatever dish it’s paired with.
Here are a few creative twists you can make to this sauce:
- Try adding a squeeze of lime juice for a tangier flavor.
- Add some garlic, onion, and chili flakes for a bit of a kick.
- Top with some shredded cheese for a cheesy finish.
Pro tip: For extra creaminess, mix in a few tablespoons of plain Greek yogurt. Enjoy!
5. Creamy Cucumber Dill Sauce
This one is perfect for spanakopita, salmon and fish, chicken, or even as a healthy, creamy dip for veggies.
Creamy Cucumber Dill sauce is an incredibly versatile sauce, and it adds a flavorful punch of brightness to any dish.
Here are some creative ways to use it:
- Drizzle it over a burrito for a delicious twist
- Mix it into a creamy, veggie-filled soup
- Stir it into a Greek-style pasta salad
- Use it as a marinade for grilled chicken
Pro tip: If you want a thicker consistency, add a teaspoon of Greek yogurt to your sauce!
6. Garlic Aioli
Garlic aioli is the classic, unmistakably flavorful sauce that perfectly pairs with spanakopita.
It’s a rich, creamy blend of garlic, olive oil, and egg yolks that adds a delightful punch of flavor.
Here are a few creative twists you can make with garlic aioli to customize your spanakopita:
- Add a tablespoon of white wine vinegar for a tart, acidic flavor
- Mix in a few tablespoons of chopped herbs (such as parsley, oregano, or basil) for an herbal kick
- Stir in some grated parmesan cheese for a cheesy element
- Mix in some hot sauce for subtle heat
Pro tip: Make sure to blend the aioli until it is smooth and creamy. This will help it adhere to the spanakopita and give it a delicious, creamy texture.
Pesto is super popular and for good reason!
It’s got that fresh, herby flavor that’s absolutely delicious when paired with spanakopita.
Plus, it’s so versatile that you can mix it up with a variety of different ingredients to create something special.
Here are a few creative twists you can make to this sauce:
- Mix it with cream cheese for a creamy pesto dip
- Add some garlic and parmesan for a more intense flavor
- Stir in some cherry tomato halves for an extra zing
Pro tip: For a little something extra, sprinkle some chopped parsley or basil over the top for an extra herby hit. Enjoy!
Chimichurri is known for its vibrant and zesty flavor, which is why I think it pairs so perfectly with spanakopita.
It adds a fresh twist that elevates the buttery, earthy, and wholesome flavors of the dish.
Here are a few creative ideas for how you can use chimichurri to take your spanakopita to the next level:
- Mix it with garlic and serve it as a dip for your spanakopita
- Drizzle it over the top of the spanakopita for a burst of flavor
- Stir it into the spinach filling before baking to give it a kick of flavor
My pro tip: Add a squeeze of lemon juice to your chimichurri before serving it with spanakopita. This will give it an extra boost of brightness that really complements the flavors of the dish.
9. Cilantro Lime Crema
This condiment is flavored with fresh cilantro and lime juice, creating a unique and flavorful twist on the traditional Spanakopita dish.
Plus, its creamy texture adds a delicious contrast to the flaky pastry and flavorful spinach filling.
Here are a few creative ideas to take your Spanakopita to the next level with cilantro lime crema:
- Mix in some diced jalapeno for a spicy kick
- Stir in a spoonful of honey for a hint of sweetness
- Add a pinch of cumin for a smoky flavor
- Top your dish with chopped cilantro for a colorful garnish
Pro Tip: Serve the cilantro lime crema on the side so everyone can add their own desired amount.
10. Lemon Dill Sauce
Lemony, herby, and perfectly tangy, lemon dill sauce is the perfect accompaniment to spanakopita!
This sauce has a wonderfully bright flavor that will make your spanakopita truly shine.
Here are some creative twists to take your lemon dill sauce up a notch:
- Add a splash of white wine for a vaguely acidic flavor
- Mix in some garlic for a bit of a spicy kick
- Mix in some crumbled feta for a bit of a salty edge
- Mix in some toasted sesame seeds for a hint of nuttiness
Pro Tip: If you want to really bring out the flavor of the lemon dill sauce, add a dash of lemon zest!
15 Best Sauces for Shrimp Pasta
19 Best Sauces for Black Bean Burgers
What Sauce to Serve with Spanakopita (10 Best Sauces)
- Easy & Healthy Homemade Tartar Sauce
- Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
- Creamy Avocado Crema
- Creamy Cucumber Dill Sauce
- Garlic Aioli
- Cilantro Lime Crema
- Lemon Dill Sauce
- Pick your favorite sauce from this list to serve with your meal.
- Prepare the ingredients according to the recipe.
- Enjoy in no time!