Knowing what cheese goes with gouda makes all the difference in a grilled cheese sandwich or quesadilla.
There’s something about the combination of smooth, creamy gouda and another strong-flavored cheese that brings a delightful bit of complexity to any dish.
Well, if you’re wondering what cheese works best with gouda, look no further! I’m here to share 10 tasty cheeses that pair perfectly with this classic Dutch semi-soft cow’s milk variety.
From nutty Gruyere to salty feta and sharp cheddar, these combos make for heavenly dishes enjoyed by people around the world.
So take your tastebuds for a wild ride as we explore matching cheeses together!
In a rush? Here is the short answer:
The best kinds of cheese to pair with Gouda are Cheddar, Brie, Emmental, Mozzarella, and Gruyere. Gouda is a great base for a cheese board, and these cheeses will provide a variety of flavors and textures that will pair nicely with the nutty and buttery notes of Gouda. You could also include some accompaniments such as crackers, grapes, and honey to create a delicious and sophisticated cheese platter.
Let’s continue to find out what other cheeses you can pair with gouda!
Cheddar is a versatile crowd-pleaser, with a slightly buttery, moist, and melty texture.
As it ages, it becomes more nutty, crumbly, and sharp, with a slightly tangier finish, some earthy notes, and some hard salt-like crystals that add a slight crunch to each bite.
Creative ways to pair Cheddar with Gouda:
- Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Gouda and Cheddar
- Cheddar and Gouda Mac and Cheese
- Cheddar and Gouda Quesadillas
- Cheddar and Gouda Stuffed Mushrooms
- Cheddar and Gouda Fondue
- Cheddar and Gouda Crostini
- Cheddar and Gouda Gratin
Brie is a soft, creamy cheese with a nutty and fruity flavor, and a hint of buttery and earthy notes.
Here are some creative ways to pair brie with gouda:
- Make a grilled brie and gouda sandwich with a side of pickled vegetables.
- Create a brie and gouda quesadilla with mushrooms and roasted bell peppers.
- Layer thin slices of brie and gouda on top of puff pastry and bake it in the oven.
- Stuff portobello mushrooms with a mix of brie and gouda and bake in the oven.
- Make a tart with a brie and gouda filling and top with fresh fruit.
- Use brie and gouda to make a savory tart with caramelized onions.
- Slice brie and gouda and serve as part of a charcuterie board with other cheeses and cured meats.
- Make a creamy brie and gouda sauce to serve over roasted vegetables.
- Make an omelette with brie and gouda and serve with a side salad.
Emmentaler is a semi-hard cheese with a distinctive flavor profile that includes tones of ripe fruit, hazelnuts, and no traces of acidity.
It is also identified by its even rind with a firm and dense body, and interspersed cherry-sized eyes (or holes).
Creative Ways to Pair Emmental and Gouda:
- Make a grilled cheese sandwich with Emmental and Gouda cheese.
- Create a flavourful macaroni and cheese dish with Emmental and Gouda cheese.
- Make a quesadilla with Emmental and Gouda cheese.
- Create a decadent cheese platter with Emmental and Gouda cheese.
- Prepare a savory cheese tart with Emmental and Gouda cheese.
- Make cheesy potato skins with Emmental and Gouda cheese.
- Add Emmental and Gouda cheese to a classic French onion soup.
- Create a gourmet cheese board with Emmental and Gouda cheese.
- Make a cheesy dip with Emmental and Gouda cheese.
- Prepare a cheese fondue with Emmental and Gouda
Emmental is a mild cheese with a salty taste, slight tang, and creamy texture.
It is often used in smaller quantities and is similar to Mozzarella, but made with the same ingredients on a smaller scale.
Some creative ways to pair Emmental and Gouda include:
- A Grilled Cheese Sandwich: Layer slices of both cheeses between two slices of bread and grill until golden.
- A Macaroni and Cheese Bake: Mix Emmental and Gouda with cooked macaroni and a creamy cheese sauce, then bake until bubbly and golden.
- A Cheese Plate: Create a cheese plate featuring both Emmental and Gouda, served with fresh crackers, dried fruits, and nuts.
Gruyère is an aged cheese with a complex flavor profile that typically combines notes of nuttiness and saltiness.
Its flavor profile does vary depending on its age, with younger Gruyère being milder and more mellow in flavor.
Creative Ways to Pair Gruyère with Gouda:
- Create a cheese platter with thin slices of each cheese, accompanied by fresh fruits, nuts, and honey.
- Make a cheesy crostini with a mixture of melted Gruyère and Gouda on top of toasted baguette slices.
- Layer thin slices of Gouda and Gruyère cheese in a lasagna dish with your favorite pasta sauce and noodles.
Feta is a tangy, rich and slightly salty cheese that gets more peppery and hard as it ages.
Depending on the milk used to make it, Feta can have a buttery flavor when made with sheep’s milk, or a milder taste when made with goat cheese.
Here are some creative ways to pair Feta with Gouda:
- Feta and Gouda Panini: Toast a panini with slices of Feta and Gouda for a delicious, melted sandwich.
- Feta and Gouda Pizza: Top a pizza crust with Feta and Gouda for a creamy, cheesy pizza.
- Feta and Gouda Salad: Mix Feta and Gouda with a variety of greens and vegetables for a flavorful salad.
Gorgonzola is a blue cheese that is full-flavored, salty, and earthy.
Its taste is reminiscent of a rustic barnyard nestled in a field of lush, green grass.
The texture of Gorgonzola can range from creamy and soft to semi-firm and crumbly, depending on how long it has been aged.
Here are some creative ways to pair Gorgonzola with gouda:
- Serve Gorgonzola crumbles with Gouda cubes on a platter of fresh fruit and nuts.
- Create a flavorful and unique grilled cheese sandwich with Gorgonzola and Gouda layered in between two slices of thick-cut artisan bread.
- Add a few slices of Gouda and Gorgonzola to a bed of greens, top with a light drizzle of balsamic vinaigrette, and serve as a salad.
Parmesan is a hard, gritty cheese with a fruity and nutty flavor, and is often grated over pastas, used in soups and risottos, or eaten on its own as a snack.
It takes up to 2–4 years to complete the entire processing process.
Creative ways to pair Parmesan with Gouda include:
- Making a creamy Parmesan and Gouda lasagna – layer lasagna noodles, Parmesan cheese sauce, and Gouda cheese between each layer, then bake until golden and bubbly.
- Stuffing mushrooms with a Parmesan and Gouda cheese mixture – combine the two cheeses with garlic, herbs, and spices, stuff the mixture into mushrooms, and then bake until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Making a Parmesan and Gouda grilled cheese sandwich – spread butter or mayonnaise on the outside of the bread slices, layer the Parmesan and Gouda inside, and then cook in a skillet until the cheese is melted and the bread is golden.
Fontina cheese is a semi-soft cow’s milk cheese with a gentle buttery, nutty flavor, originally produced in the Valle d’Aosta, Italy.
It is slightly more pungent than fontina produced in other regions, such as the U.S., France, or other parts of Italy.
Here are some creative ways to pair fontina with gouda:
- Create a unique grilled cheese sandwich by combining fontina and gouda with some caramelized onions and a drizzle of honey.
- Add fontina and gouda to a savory tart, along with some roasted red peppers, onions, and fresh herbs.
- Make a creamy pasta dish by combining fontina, gouda, and a splash of white wine or cream.
Provolone has a complex, sharp taste with buttery and nutty flavors.
As it ages, the flavor becomes more intense—provolone piccante is aged for up to two years and has a sharper flavor than provolone dolce, which is aged up to four months.
Here are some creative ways to pair provolone with gouda:
- Create an appetizer platter featuring thin slices of provolone and gouda, accompanied by crackers and a selection of fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Layer provolone and gouda between slices of crusty bread for a delicious grilled cheese sandwich.
- Top a pizza with both provolone and gouda for a unique and flavorful combination.
What Cheese Goes with Gouda?
- Pick your favorite cheese from this collection to pair with your gouda.
- Prepare the rest of your tasty snack.
- Enjoy in no time!