Knowing what salad to serve with shrimp and grits can be a challenge.
While the combination of creamy grits and plump, juicy shrimp is a classic Southern comfort food, adding a complementary salad can elevate the dish to gourmet status.
In this article, I will explore 10 of the best salads to serve with shrimp and grits.
From crunchy slaws to cool and creamy cucumber salads, each of these salads will add flavor, texture, and color to your meal.
So let’s get started!
1. Wedge Salad
I’m a huge fan of wedge salads and believe they’re an amazing way to enjoy a delicious and healthy meal.
Not only are they easy to make, but they can also be incredibly versatile.
Here are some creative twists you can make to take your wedge salad to the next level:
- Swap out the iceberg lettuce for romaine for more nutrients.
- Add grilled chicken for extra protein.
- Top with bacon bits and crumbled blue cheese for a delicious crunch.
- Sprinkle with dried cranberries for a pop of flavor.
- Toss with a light vinaigrette.
Pro tip: Make sure you don’t overdue it on the dressing – a little goes a long way!
2. Caesar Salad
When you want to impress your family and friends with a delicious and classic salad, try a Caesar salad!
It’s a delicious combination of crunchy romaine lettuce, creamy dressing and savory croutons.
Plus, you can easily customize it to your own tastes by making a few creative twists.
Here are a few ideas:
- Add grilled chicken for an extra protein punch
- Top with crispy bacon for a salty kick
- Switch out the croutons for a different crunchy topping like roasted nuts, seeds or fried onions
- Add a dollop of Greek yogurt to the dressing for a creamy twist
- Top with freshly-grated Parmesan cheese
Pro tip: If you’re short on time, buy pre-made croutons and dressing to save time.
3. Kale Salad
I’m a huge fan of kale salads!
They’re a great way to get a healthy and delicious meal in no time.
Plus, kale is full of nutrients to help you stay energized and feeling your best.
Here are some creative twists you can make to your kale salad to really make it stand out:
- Add in some roasted sweet potatoes for a sweet and savory flavor
- Toss in some crunchy roasted chickpeas for a protein-packed crunch
- Try topping your kale salad with some fresh avocado and a zesty lemon dressing
- Sprinkle some toasted almonds and feta cheese over the top
Pro tip: For a vegan version, try swapping out feta cheese for vegan cheese or nutritional yeast.
4. Greek Salad
I’m a huge fan of Greek Salad! It’s a classic combination of flavors that I love.
It’s not just a tasty dish; it’s also very healthy.
Here are some creative twists you can make to the traditional recipe:
- Add grilled chicken or shrimp for some extra protein.
- Add some olives or feta cheese for a salty kick.
- Toss in some artichoke hearts or roasted red peppers for a delicious crunch.
- Throw in some sun-dried tomatoes for a burst of flavor.
- Switch out the traditional lettuce for spinach or kale.
Pro tip: Make sure to use high-quality ingredients for the best flavor. Fresh produce and high-quality olive oil will make your Greek Salad extra delicious!
5. Strawberry Spinach Salad
I absolutely love this Strawberry Spinach Salad!
It’s a delicious combination of sweet and savory flavors, and it’s easy to make too.
Here are some creative twists you can make to take your salad to the next level:
- Add some crunch with toasted almonds or croutons
- Swap out the spinach for kale or arugula
- Use balsamic vinaigrette instead of regular dressing
- Top with a sprinkle of feta cheese
My pro tip: Make sure to use the freshest ingredients you can find to really bring out all the flavors.
6. Caprese Salad
Caprese salad is one of my favorite salads for shrimp and grits.
It’s fresh and flavorful, and it’s a great way to bring a touch of summer to your plate.
Here are a few creative twists you can make to this classic Italian salad:
- Add roasted red peppers for a smoky flavor
- Toss in some artichoke hearts for a briny kick
- Top it off with some toasted pine nuts for crunch
- Mix in some olives for an extra salty twist
Pro tip: Drizzle a little balsamic glaze over your Caprese salad for a sweet and tangy finish.
7. Corn Tomato Avocado Salad
I’m a huge fan of salads, and this Corn Tomato Avocado Salad is one of my absolute favorites.
It’s light, refreshing, and offers a great balance of flavors.
Plus, it’s incredibly versatile, so you can create your own unique twists to make it your own.
Here are some ideas you can try:
- Add a sprinkle of feta cheese for a salty, creamy flavor.
- Replace the tomatoes with roasted bell peppers for a smoky twist.
- Swap the corn with diced cucumbers for a crunchy texture.
- Throw in some diced jalapenos for a bit of heat.
- Top it off with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar for a zingy finish.
Pro Tip: Feel free to swap out the ingredients to make it vegetarian, vegan, or gluten-free. You can also use different types of dressings for a different flavor profile.
8. Waldorf Salad
I think the Waldorf Salad is so amazing because of its classic combination of crunchy apples, juicy grapes, and creamy walnuts.
Its flavors are so unique and delicious, you can’t help but love it!
Here are some creative twists you can make to this classic salad:
- Add a handful of dried cranberries or raisins
- Try it with a yogurt-based dressing instead of mayo
- Top it with a sprinkle of feta cheese
- Toss in some diced celery for a crunchy texture
- Switch up the apples for pears
My pro tip for making the perfect Waldorf Salad is to use a combination of sweet and tart apples for the best flavor.
9. Crunchy Broccoli Salad
If you like a little crunch alongside your shrimp and grits, you’ll love this crunchy broccoli salad.
It’s the perfect addition to any meal, and it’s easy to make with a few simple ingredients.
Here are some creative twists you can try:
- Add a handful of raisins or dried cranberries for a sweet-tart contrast
- Toss in some thinly sliced red onion for a bit of spice
- Make it a main dish by adding grilled chicken, shrimp, or tofu
- Mix in some toasted pumpkin seeds for a nutty flavor
Pro tip: If you’re using frozen broccoli, make sure to thaw it first and pat it dry to get rid of excess water. This will help your salad stay crunchy!
10. Southwest Chicken Chopped Salad
This Southwest Chicken Chopped Salad is a real winner!
This salad is packed with fresh ingredients and bold flavors, making it the perfect meal for any occasion.
Plus, it’s easy to make and can be adapted in a variety of ways.
Here are some creative twists you can make to customize your Southwest Chicken Chopped Salad:
- Add in some black beans, diced bell peppers, or jalapenos for more flavor and texture.
- Swap out the chicken for steak or shrimp for a heartier meal.
- Top with avocado and a squeeze of lime for a zesty kick.
Pro tip: Use a mix of romaine, kale, and spinach for a more nutritious salad. Enjoy!
10 Best Salads to Serve with Shrimp and Grits
- Wedge Salad
- Caesar Salad
- Kale Salad
- Greek Salad
- Strawberry Spinach Salad
- Caprese Salad
- Corn Tomato Avocado Salad
- Waldorf Salad
- Crunchy Broccoli Salad
- Southwest Chicken Chopped Salad
- Pick your favorite salad from this list to serve with your seafood dish.
- Prepare the ingredients according to the recipe.
- Enjoy in no time!