Prime rib is a delicious and impressive entree to serve for any special occasion.
But what makes it even better is serving it with a delicious sauce.
Whether you are looking for a savory sauce, a creamy sauce, or something in between, there is sure to be a sauce on this list that you will love.
So if you are wondering ‘what sauces go well with prime rib‘, then you are in the right place.
I’m sharing 11 of the best sauces for prime rib including au jus, horseradish cream sauce, béarnaise sauce, and more.
See Also: 11 Salads That Go With Prime Rib
What Sauce Goes with Prime Rib?
When looking for a sauce to pair with prime rib, you want to find one that will complement the meat without overpowering it. A good option is a horseradish cream sauce, which is made with mayonnaise, sour cream, and grated horseradish. This sauce is tangy and flavorful, but not too spicy. Other sauces that pair well with prime rib include au jus, béarnaise, and BBQ sauce.
Still looking for sauce ideas?
Then just keep scrolling!
1. BBQ Sauce
Sweet, smoky, and a little bit spicy, this BBQ sauce is the perfect finishing touch for your prime rib.
It takes less than 10 minutes to whip up, and can be made ahead of time so you can spend more time enjoying your party.
How to use it:
Simply brush the sauce over your prime rib during the last few minutes of cooking.
You can also serve it on the side so your guests can add as much or as little as they like.
Green and bright, chimichurri is the perfect sauce for a big, bold piece of meat like prime rib.
A blend of parsley, cilantro, garlic, olive oil, and vinegar, chimichurri is as easy to make as it is delicious.
It’s also incredibly versatile — use it as a marinade, a dipping sauce, or even a salad dressing.
How to use it:
Chimichurri is best when used as a condiment, so don’t be afraid to get generous with it.
Slather it on your prime rib before carving, or serve it on the side for dipping.
3. Honey Mustard Sauce
Seriously, who doesn’t love a honey mustard sauce? It’s the perfect blend of sweet and tangy, and it goes with just about everything.
This easy recipe only requires a few ingredients, and it can be made in under 10 minutes.
How to use it:
This sauce is perfect for dipping, but it also makes a great glaze for meat or vegetables.
Try it on grilled chicken or salmon, or use it as a dipping sauce for roasted potatoes or roasted Brussels sprouts.
4. Chipotle Mayo
I’m sure you’ve heard of this dreamy sauce by now, but in case you haven’t, let me introduce you to chipotle mayo.
This rich and creamy sauce is made with mayonnaise, chipotle peppers, adobo sauce, and lime juice. It’s the perfect balance of spicy, smoky, and tangy flavors.
I like to use it as a dipping sauce for roasted vegetables or as a spread on sandwiches and wraps. It would also be great on grilled chicken or fish.
How to use it:
There are endless possibilities when it comes to using chipotle mayo.
I love it as a sandwich spread or dip for roasted vegetables.
It would also be great on grilled chicken or fish.
Marinara is one of the most popular sauces in the World and for good reason.
It has a delicious flavor that pairs well with practically any type of meat, and it is also extremely easy to make.
All you need to do is add some tomato sauce to a pan and then cook the meat over medium heat until it is cooked through.
You can then add in any other ingredients that you would like, such as garlic, onion, or herbs.
Once everything is cooked through, you can serve the sauce up with your favorite pasta or rice.
Alfredo has a thick and creamy texture that is perfect for adding a luxurious flavor to your prime rib.
- You will need to start by cooking some beef tenderloin in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Once the beef has reached a rare or medium-rare temperature, then you can add in your Alfredo sauce ingredients.
- Whisk the Alfredo sauce until it is smooth and creamy, and then season it with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add this mixture to the skillet where the beef is cooking, and let it simmer until the beef is cooked through.
This sauce will be rich and delicious, and it will make your prime rib meal that much more special.
7. Pesto Sauce
Remember that pesto comes with a strong flavor, so if you are looking for a sauce that will enhance the flavor of your prime rib, then pesto is the perfect option.
- Simply combine 2 cups of fresh basil, 1 cup of pine nuts, and 3 cloves of garlic in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour this mixture into a jar or container and store in the fridge for later use.
- When you are ready to cook your prime rib, simply brush it with olive oil and spread pesto on top.
You can also add salt, pepper, and other seasonings to taste before grilling or baking your prime rib.
If you prefer a spicy sauce to top your prime rib, then this recipe is perfect for you.
All you need is some tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and a few other spices to make the perfect sauce.
You’ll want to heat up the tomato sauce first before adding the other ingredients, so that it becomes hot and bubbly.
Once everything has been added, give the sauce a good stir until it is well blended.
This is a great option if you are looking for something different to top off your prime rib dinner.
If you want to keep things simple and easy with your prime rib, then a garlic butter sauce is the way to go.
All you need to do is mix together some butter and garlic powder until it forms a thick paste, and then you can add in some red wine or vinegar to taste.
This sauce will give your prime rib that delicious flavor that it needs so that it can truly stand out on your plate.
10. Cheese Sauce
Any true cheese lover will love this sauce.
It is easy to make, and it will take your prime rib to the next level.
- All you need to do is mix together 1 cup of milk, 4 tablespoons of cheese, 1 teaspoon of onion powder, and ½ a teaspoon of garlic powder.
- Then, you should cook the sauce over low heat until it thickens.
- Once it has reached the desired thickness, you can add in any other seasonings that you want (such as black pepper or thyme).
11. Bolognese Sauce
If you want to make sure your meal is extra filling and delicious, then you need to try making bolognese sauce.
This hearty sauce is perfect for winter days when you want something warm and filling.
It’s also great for prime rib because the rich flavors of the sauce will elevate the taste of the meat.
- To make bolognese sauce, you will need to brown some beef in a pan with some chopped onions and garlic.
- Once the beef is cooked, add in a can of crushed tomatoes, some tomato paste, and some water.
- Bring this mixture to a boil and then let it simmer for at least an hour so that all the flavors can meld together. If you want your sauce to be extra thick, you can let it simmer for even longer.
- Season the sauce with salt and pepper to taste before serving it over your prime rib or any other dish.
What Sauce Goes with Prime Rib? (11 Tasty Sauces)
- BBQ Sauce
- Chimichurri Sauce
- Honey Mustard Sauce
- Chipotle Mayo
- Marinara Sauce
- Alfredo Sauce
- Pesto Sauce
- Spicy Tomato Cream Sauce
- Garlic Butter Sauce
- Cheese Sauce
- Bolognese Sauce
- Pick your favorite sauce from this list to serve with your prime rib.
- Prepare the ingredients according to the recipe.
- Serve in no time!