If you’re wondering what cheese goes with cauliflower, you’re not alone.
Cauliflower is a bit of an enigma in the world of vegetables.
It’s not quite as starchy as potatoes, but it’s also not as fresh-tasting as broccoli.
So, what do you serve with it?
Well, I’ve put together a list of 9 cheeses that I think go really well with cauliflower.
From sharp cheddar to creamy goat cheese, there’s something for everyone on this list.
So, whether you’re looking for a cheese to shred over roasted cauliflower or one to melt into a cauliflower gratin, I think you’ll find the perfect match here.
What Cheese Goes with Cauliflower? 9 Best Cheeses
Something truly magical happens when you pair cheese with cauliflower.
It’s like watching your favorite movie for the first time.
The right cheese can enhance the flavor of the cauliflower and make the experience that much better.
Here are 9 of the best cheeses to eat with cauliflower:
1. Cheddar Cheese
Aged cheddars become more nutty, crumbly, and sharp as they age.
They’re amazing melted on cauliflower – the gooiness of the cheese contrasts with the crispness of the vegetable.
Cheddar also pairs beautifully with grilled or roasted cauliflower – the charring brings out sweetness in the veg, which is then balanced by the sharpness of the cheese.
Try pairing cheddar with cauliflower in these dishes:
- Cauliflower mac and cheese
- Cauliflower grilled cheese sandwich
- Roasted cauliflower salad with cheddar crumbles
- Creamy cauliflower soup with cheddar on top
2. Gorgonzola Cheese
Gorgonzola is crumbly and salty (think: Feta, Ricotta Salata, Manchego), but it also has a powerful umami quality that enhances the natural savoriness of cauliflower.
The cheese’s blue veining adds an earthy complexity to the rich creaminess, making it an ideal pairing for this cruciferous vegetable.
Here are a few ideas for recipes that combine these two ingredients:
- Roasted Cauliflower with Gorgonzola Sauce: Roast cauliflower florets in a hot oven until they’re fork-tender and browned in spots. Serve them with a creamy Gorgonzola sauce made by blending the cheese with milk, sour cream, and a little bit of Dijon mustard.
- Cauliflower Gratin with Gorgonzola: This comforting gratin features layers of thinly sliced cauliflower and a cheesy Gorgonzola sauce. It’s the perfect side dish for a holiday meal or casual weekend dinner.
- Spaghetti with Cauliflower & Gorgonzola: Toss cooked spaghetti with sautéed cauliflower florets, crumbled Gorgonzola, and toasted walnuts for a quick and easy weeknight meal. Add a splash of cream to the pasta if you like; it will help to smooth out the flavor of the cheese.
3. Gruyere Cheese
Gruyère is known for its rich, creamy, salty, and nutty flavor, making it a perfect cheese to pair with cauliflower.
The strong flavor of Gruyère will help to balance out the subtle taste of cauliflower, and the creaminess of the cheese will help to coat the vegetable and make it more palatable.
Additionally, the saltiness of Gruyère will help to bring out the natural sweetness of cauliflower, making for a more well-rounded dish.
4. Parmesan Cheese
Rich, tangy, nutty, and sharp are all adjectives that can be used to describe the flavor of Parmesan cheese.
Cauliflower, on the other hand, is fairly neutral in taste.
However, when these two ingredients are paired together, theycreate a dynamic duo that is sure to please your taste buds.
Here are a few reasons why Parmesan cheese and cauliflower are a match made in heaven:
- The strong flavor of Parmesan cheese pairs well with the neutral taste of cauliflower. This combination is perfect for those who want to enjoy the flavor of cheese without it overpowering the other ingredients in their dish.
- The texture of Parmesan cheese pairs perfectly with the creamy texture of cauliflower. When these two ingredients are combined, you will get a dish that is both rich and decadent.
- The sharpness of Parmesan cheese helps to balance out the sweetness of cauliflower. This combination is perfect for those who want to enjoy a dish that is not too sweet or too savory.
- The nuttiness of Parmesan cheese pairs well with the earthiness of cauliflower. This combination is perfect for those who want to enjoy a dish that has some depth of flavor.
5. Roquefort Cheese
Roquefort has a tingly pungent taste that is both sharp and salty.
The cave-aged sheep’s milk cheese from France is known for its distinct blue veins that add a mildly sweet taste.
When paired with cauliflower, the flavors work together to offer a unique and memorable experience.
The two main reasons to pair Roquefort cheese with cauliflower are the contrasting textures and complementary flavors.
The gooeyness of the cheese pairs well with the crunch of the cauliflower, while the bold taste of the cheese helps to offset the mildness of the vegetable.
In addition, both ingredients are fairly versatile, so they can be used in a variety of dishes or simple snacks.
Some other reasons to pair these two ingredients include:
- Both are somewhat high in protein and low in carbs, making them a great option for those watching their calorie intake.
- They are both relatively neutral in color, so they can be paired with a wide range of other ingredients without clashing.
So, if you’re looking for a unique and tasty pairing, consider giving Roquefort cheese and cauliflower a try!
6. Brie Cheese
Brie has a mild, buttery and creamy flavor that pairs well with a wide range of fruits, vegetables and even meats.
But one of my personal favorite pairings is brie and cauliflower.
The subtle flavor of brie brings out the sweetness in cauliflower, while the creaminess of the cheese helps to offset the slight crunch of the vegetable.
There are a few different ways that you can enjoy this pairing.
- One simple way is to just top a slice of brie with roasted cauliflower.
- If you want something a little more decadent, you could try wrapping brie in puff pastry along with some roasted cauliflower and maybe even some bacon or ham.
- And for a truly show-stopping dish, you could try deep frying cauliflower florets and serving them with a large wedge of brie and a drizzle of honey. No matter how you enjoy it, brie and cauliflower is a match made in heaven!
7. Camembert Cheese
Camembert can be described as mushroomy, eggy, garlicky, and nutty with a hint of sweetness.
When paired with cauliflower, the creaminess and delicate flavors of the Camembert are brought to life.
The two compliment each other perfectly.
Here are a few of my favorite ways to enjoy this pairing:
- Sliced camembert on top of roasted cauliflower with a drizzle of honey
- Mashed cauliflower with chunks of camembert stirred in
- Cauliflower soup topped with crumbled camembert
8. Chevre Cheese
Chevre is intense and earthy, with a tangy kick that really livens up cauliflower.
The two flavors complement each other perfectly, and the creaminess of the cheese helps to offset the bitterness of the vegetable.
Here are a few of my favorite ways to enjoy this combo:
- Roasted cauliflower with a creamy chevre sauce
- Cauliflower soup topped with crumbled chevre
- Sautéed cauliflower with chunks of chevre mixed in
- A simple salad of cauliflower and greens, with a drizzle of chevre dressing
9. Feta Cheese
Feta has a tangy, rich and slightly salty taste that is a perfect complement to the mild flavor of cauliflower.
The two can be used together in a number of different dishes, including salads, pizzas, pasta dishes and more.
Some of my favorite ways to enjoy feta and cauliflower together include:
- Roasted cauliflower salad with feta, olives and a simple vinaigrette
- Grilled vegetable pizza with feta cheese
- Orzo pasta salad with feta, cauliflower, tomatoes and a light dressing
- Cauliflower fritters with feta dipping sauce
- Rosemary roasted cauliflower with crumbled feta on top
What Cheese Goes with Cauliflower? 9 Best Cheeses
- Cheddar Cheese
- Gorgonzola Cheese
- Gruyere Cheese
- Parmesan Cheese
- Roquefort Cheese
- Brie Cheese
- Camembert Cheese
- Chevre Cheese
- Feta Cheese
- Pick any of these types of cheese to pair with your cauliflower dish.
- Prepare the rest of your meal.
- Enjoy in no time!